About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 18, 2024, 09:26:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Nice Old Cloisonne

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice Old Cloisonne  (Read 1151 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: February 18, 2012, 03:47:10 am »

I let myself veer a bit off track during tonights hunt for Middle Period IP bottles !  Cheesy

I don't have a Cloisonne bottle in my collection, and do like them..

This looks to be genuinely old, so will make for a nice addition ..

I especially like the unique shape, and the actual cloisonne work is really pretty good.

Not nearly as nice as the super detailed one that Charll shared with me though !!

3" tall..

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:51:08 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 08:15:55 am »

Hi George ,

I will stay away from it , i am not familiar with  Cloisonne  at all, but. The old looking is not natural at all, if its old bottle ,the worn out will be on certain area, not everywhere, that is my humble opinion..

Steven
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:25:55 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:47:33 pm »

Thanks Steven.. Neither am I an expert with these..

Nobody else here seem all that impressed either !  Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:36:28 pm »

Sorry George, no I'm not impressed with this one.  I agree with Steven.  Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 03:03:13 pm »

It's not even on my shelf yet, and already starting to get that "dicscard the bottle" feeling !

It's ok guys..  Wink  I am actually chuckling to myself while typing because just can''t help but love the honesty !  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:32:39 pm »

I have to say, my first reaction, was that this WAS early. Then I read Steven's and Charll's comments, went back to look again, and honestly don't know. The ornate stuff is definitely modern, because of the improvements in kiln technology. The simpler ones like this, CAN be older. But obviously, a simpler design is simpler to fake.
  I wish I could state with assurance that this IS  or IS NOT older; sorry, I can't. I need to see it. George, could you bring this one with you to Portland? I'll be able to make a better judgement live.
  Hey, why don't we (those from the Forum who will be attending Portland in Oct.)  each bring  a few bottles, and have a 'show and tell' just for Forum members at the convention? I'm off the Board in April (end of my term), so my time is all my own (no need to help Vince or anyone else, unless I feel like it). Think about it, guys.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

DCist
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:12:12 am »

One rule of thumb that dealers, who shall not be named because they are out of favor with some Forum members, is that the "uglier" the bottle, the more likely it is old.  Nonetheless, one thing that pops out at me is the fact the stopper appears to be original - something that is unusual in older bottles simply because it is so easy to change out stoppers, and not uncommon for collectors to "mix and match" at whim.  So, my "gut" tells me nice reproduction...However, sometimes, free advice is worth just that...
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 09:19:33 am »

Unusual but definitely not unheard of. And the stopper is gilded bronze, not cloissonne. It could well be genuine, as could the bottle.
    I'd still vote for bringing it to Portland, George. I'm bringing my boxwood 'netsuke' style turtle carving, and I've asked Charll to bring his 'netsuke' style turtle snuff bottle. I'm also bringing my Ming (I believe) white nephrite bi disc, so I (we) can compare quality of carving to white nephrite snuff bottles on offer.
    That's all I'm bringing - they both fit in the same little padded box, and I'm flying Tel Aviv-Toronto-Seattle- (train to Portland, car to Eureka, and on to SFO and Sunnyvale and )San Francisco-Honolulu-Los Angeles-Tel Aviv, only carry-on, so I have to travel light. And I hope to buy a bottle or three at the convention.
  Best, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: