About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 05:38:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Ting Erh chung ?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ting Erh chung ?  (Read 1369 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: February 18, 2012, 01:33:04 am »

Not sure about the painting.. Can not find anything even remotely close.. Yet the signature looks like Ting ??

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:47:10 am »

Am i crazy or did we discuss this bottle somewhere before? yes it is a Ding Er Zhong signature, BUT although a very nice painting, it is 80s/90s bottle, and not the real thing, in my view. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:54:06 am »

Am i crazy or did we discuss this bottle somewhere before?

Maybe it is me that is crazy, and in fact did ask about it already !

Thanks Pat !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 09:39:53 pm »

Here is another that I am questioning about really being painted by Ting Erhchung...

Comments ??

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:24:01 pm »

Dear George,

I have been on ebay for more than 2 years, have not seen any single REAL Ding Erzhong or Zhou leyuan bottle.Smiley

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 03:55:41 am »

George,
   I would tend to go with Steven on this.
Shabbat Shalom,
   Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 04:22:21 am »

Thanks Steven and Joey  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 05:20:02 am »

My pleasure, George.
Shabbat Shalom,
     Joey
Report Spam   Logged

seadancer1

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 04:59:41 pm »

Not sure about the painting.. Can not find anything even remotely close.. Yet the signature looks like Ting ??

What a beautiful bottle........for the life of me I cannot understand why bottles like these are dismissed as 'nice but not very important' Sad and yet I have seen bottles that I would'nt have in a fit, raved over! I hope I never get that elitist and just admire them for their beauty and the work thats gone into them......if that makes me a 'common' collector so be it!
Cheers, Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Bottleinpocket
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 06:22:56 pm »

both are fake dingerzhong's IP bottle, First one it was signed as " ren yin" that means this bottle was produced in 1902 , in that year , this famous IP artist always used 3 personal stamps for his painted bottle, this bottle is lack of another two stamps " ding" and " erzhong"although it is painted very well . The second one was signed as"bingzi" that means this bottle waas produced in 1876 or 1936 , Mr. Ding was born in 1868 and died in 1935 , so....8 year old boy or a ghost .....;-)
Just my two cents

Grant
Report Spam   Logged
seadancer1

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 06:58:19 pm »

Maybe so Grant, but it does'nt take away from its beauty, fake or not!
Cheers, Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 10:23:24 pm »

Brenda,

You are right in that one should always use one's own aesthetic tastes to judge an object. And I agree that the painting on this bottle is very well executed. But it is sad that artists, and so many of them, feel obliged to fake the name of a past master to try and hike the value. If they lack the self-esteem to sign the bottle in their own name, this somewhat dilutes the appeal.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 10:55:24 pm »

Dear Brenda,
   If you want to buy a beautiful bottle falsely signed Ding Erzhong, that's your right. But the bottle, as pretty as it is, is NOT by Ding Erzhong, and I don't like fakes. Truthfully, no-one who really knows anything about his work would confuse this with Ding's work.
   But George could have gotten cheated. Let the artist sign his or her true name, and I actually could have been tempted by this bottle. But not signed Ding Erzhong...
   If I tried to sell you a really beautiful CZ as a genuine diamond, would you argue that you prefer it at the same price as a genuine diamond ewhich is not as impressive looking?
I would hope not.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

seadancer1

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 01:07:45 am »

A quote from the book ......'Chinese Snuff Bottles a Guide to Addictive Miniatures'  By Trevor Cornforth & Dr Nathan Cheung

'It has been common practice for centuries in China to replicate the work of earlier craftsmen, and even to replicate their marks and signatures...but this was not done specifically for gain, in the sense of deceiving buyers, but was condidered a sign of great respect to a revered predecessor and refered to as a "nod to the past"  '
I would like to think this is so with this bottle......after all, if one was going to deliberately fake something why miss doing the signature correctly and so obviously..... to a collector of genuine Ding Erhong bottles it would defeat the purpose to be so blatant.
If the bottle was painted in  reverence to the original artist, then I dont consider it a fake....and so I am willing to give this  artist the benefit of the doubt.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 03:09:55 am »

Brenda,

There is an IP artist somewhere out there who loves you for saying that!  Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

seadancer1

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 03:45:44 am »

Thanks Tom....I wont say no to that!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 08:26:30 am »

Dear Brenda,
    That's the point I'm making! The signature IS right.
It is the painting, which is very good, but not at all in the style of Ding, and instead, in the 1970s/1980s 'non-political subject' genre (lots and lots of 'political subject' bottles were produced at this time - I have at least a dozen; and all really well painted! If you like pictures of a Black man sowing PRC-supplied seed, or a muscular CCP soldier pulling back a horse with a gun carriage from falling over a cliff, these are great!).
   And all paintings that I know of made as an homage to a great master's work, and not as a fake to fool the unwary, ALWAYS have an inscription signed by the genuine artist, and including the catch-phrase,"Following the brush spirit of..." and the master's name. And they are done IN THE STYLE OF. This is signed "Ding Erzhong" (and a very credible copy it is, of the correct signature), and in a totally modern style, and not even copying a known example by him.
   So, to recap:
1. No real signature
2. Fake Ding Erzhong signature
3. Not in Ding's style
4. Not a Ding subject
5. No phrase, "Following the brush spirit of..."

It's a fake, Brenda.   Roll Eyes

And Tom, it's not the artist who will thank her. It is the CCP party apparatchnik whose unit made the money from selling the fake to the decadent running dogs of Western Capitalism, who couldn't even tell the difference between a genuine Ding and a bad fake of a Ding!  Grin
Best to all,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 08:44:42 am »

Somewhere in our vast archives I made a point about this. Shandong IP artist factories were producing thousands of these in the 70s 80s. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 09:42:29 am »

Dear Pat,
   Yes you did. And I took it on board. But our archives are so vast, that not everyone finds all the pearls of wisdom spread before them.  Wink
Best,
 Joey

Somewhere in our vast archives I made a point about this. Shandong IP artist factories were producing thousands of these in the 70s 80s. 
Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 04:18:54 pm »

What do the expert's think about this bottle, for auction by Bonham's Australia on 22 June, 'attributed to Ding Erzhong' and apparently going for a very small price

here

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22082/lot/2/

It doesn't look like a Ding Erzhong painting to me but I'm no expert

Geoff
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 04:39:45 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: