About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 09:32:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Wei Jian Chao

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wei Jian Chao  (Read 6465 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: February 10, 2012, 11:07:09 pm »

This top Xisan Academy artist is Wei Jian Chao and he is very versatile, a virtual perfectionist and a natural artist!!

Not only does he do magnificent work with these Pandas but he was a student of the late Suo Zhen Hai and can do a very good job of paintings that require a great deal of Chinese Impressionism.  Although Wei Jian Chao paints for the Academy he learned most of his skills from Suo Zhen Hai.  Many of the skills he learned are present in this fine bottle.  The Panda is probably one of the finest that you will find in the world of Inside Painting.  

David Osborne felt very strongly that he is one of the best artists of the future and he was only in his mid twenties in 2005!

You gotta love those Pandas!  Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 11:20:30 pm »

Wow...

How could you not want this bottle in a collection..

The hair on the Panda is just stunning !

So life like !

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:32:44 pm »

Wow, Wow!!!
Lovely bottle,never seen a panda painted so well....

The hair was done by WXS's techniques "si mao" technique ,but I think he has done better job than WXS on this technique..
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 08:01:56 am by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 05:38:48 am »

Nice  bottle

But     Wei Jian Chao  must have been  another   flash in the  pan

There's no  record  his paintings  anywhere  in the  past  5  years

Cheers  Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 08:21:31 am »

I have previously said I wouldn't buy 'Panda' bottles, because they are too cutesy. I take back my statement. This one is magnificent! Well Done, Charll! (Obviously not done by you, but well done finding it).
 Shabbat Shalom, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 12:12:53 pm »

All,

"A Flash in the Pan Artist” maybe.  Wei Jian Chao may have moved on to other things, may have been detailed out to other projects, or on a “rest bit” that artist sometimes do and may return to the craft.  Regardless of whether this is the artist’s actual name or a pen name, an outstanding artist and I am fortunate to have two of panda bottles by him.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 12:29:23 pm »

Ya know what....

I have not had any auction emails from David in quite some time...
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:56:07 pm »

Ya still have to love those pandas.  Another Wei Jian Chao, Panda with Orchid, painted December 2005.

Enjoy, Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 02:15:28 am »

Charll,
   What are the heights of the two bottles?
Shabbat Shalom, Joey
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:53:18 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 10:43:01 am »

Both panda bottles are 3.25 inches (8cm) including the stopper.
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 01:10:35 pm »

There is quite a difference in the two pandas..

The first one is real sharp. Well defined..

This last one ... Something not right about the panda .. Maybe the pic is just a bit out of focus ?  Not right though..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 03:57:01 pm »

George,

It's all in the quality of the pics.  The first panda bottle pics were done by David Osborne's when the bottle came up for auction.  He has a much better camera! The second bottle pics were taken with a $100 pocket digital camera.  I haven’t purchased a descent digital camera yet.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 04:09:45 pm »

Charll, I measure without the stopper. Sorry to bother you again, but how high are they without the stoppers?
Thanks, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 04:16:41 pm »

Joey....just under 3 inches w/o the stopper or 7.5 cm.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 04:23:16 pm »

Well, Charll, if you ever want to sell one of them, please let me know. I don't think I've EVER looked at a 'panda' bottle as worthy of purchase before. I always saw them as 'tourist wares'. But your two are in a different class totally.
Best, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 06:35:39 pm »

Hi  All,

Pandas,  cats, mice  , anything   furry....

The  quality  of any "furry"  bottle  these   days   painted  by a  top   artist  (  eg  Wang  Si Jia  @   Li Shou Xun 's  studio)   is  so much    ahead of  any  past -painted  bottle ...

Going  rate  is   roughly   RMB2,500 = US$400    for a   2-sided  bottle  by  Wang  Sijia  or  equivalent  standard ( based  on  RMB2K in 2009)

Cheers   Peter

* Copy of Wang Sijia Commission of my 2 cats (7.09).JPG (363.02 KB, 827x768 - viewed 24 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 04:51:13 am »

Peter,
   That low, for such quality? I had thought closer to  US$800-1,000 ! Wow, VMIPs are quite cheap, where you get them.
I have paid a lot more more bottles from Guo Jie (Jill) and Su Fengyi at conventions.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 05:40:00 am »

Hi All

If  one  commissions  bottles    from  real   top  standard   students  of  Li  Shou  Xun  the  going price  is  about   RMB 2,000    (  or that  is  what  it  was  last  year, maybe  now  RMB  2,500  - 3,000  now that  Wang  Sijia  is    a  recognized artist  in his  own  right  via  Jill    Guo Jie  ) 

Li  Shou Xun,  best  friend  of  Bill,  and  now  also  of  me , can arrange  this   on a  one-to-one  basis.  I am  happy  to  handle  any  such  deal  to  facilitate the    currency  exchange  matters  and international courier  postage    (at zero  personal  commission  , of  course  )

Li's  daughter  is  now   in USA  at  Bible  college  and   staying  with   Bill . She also   stayed  at  our  place  in   HK  en  route    - we  even  gave  her  the  door  key  because    we  were  away  from HK    part  of the  time   she  was  in HK.    THAT's  that  kind  of  trust  one  builds  up with   artists  in Hengshui   

If  there's  one  person  in Hengshui  I  would   trust  with  my  life  it's  Li  Shou Xun

Li  Shou Xun   himself  is  one  of  THE  most  amazing  artists   EVER.

I  have  commissioned  a  series  of   paintings    by  Master Li  personally    which  are copies   from  a  coffee table  art -book    size  book of   paintings  by  Zhang Yu Mao,   two  of  whose  paintings   I actually  own  and  are  worth  US$10- 20 K

I asked  LSX  to  arrange  copy   paintings  into  bottles  by local   Hengshui  artists . which  he  tried  to  do    to  the  best  of  his connections  in 2009  @  about   RMB2000 -3,000 . But  the results  - although  beautiful  in their  own  right  -    were  just not  up to  the  mark . So  Li   took  it  on himself  to  do the  work  - although  he  did  not   admit  to  me  that it  was  his  own  work   in case  I was   disappointed . The   results  were   simply   stupendous,  probably THE  best   Chinese  landscape  IPBs  ever  painted. 

And  for the   first bottles  - until  Li owned  up  it  was  his  own  work  -  he still  only  charged RMB 3,000/ bottle   

As  soon as  I  found  out  it  was  Li's  own  work,  and  exchanged  notes  with  Bill,  we  agreed  that  every  bottle  we  buy  in  future  which is  painted  by  Li   personally  we   will  pay US$2,000  (RMB16,000)   

It's a   strange   fact  that,  although I  these  days  can  easily  spend  a  full  day  on line  with the  Forum  ( thanks to  George  and  SPECIAL  THANKS   AGAIN  FOR  THE  NEW  BRIGHT   FORMAT,  WHICH   REALLY DOES   EASE  THE  PRESSURE  ON AGED  EYES  !!!! )  I have   still  not   got   round  to   photographing  my  own  collection

I promise   you  all  -  it  is  mind blowing  and  as  soon as  I  photograph  it  it  will  go onto  Bill's  website  under the   theme  title  of  "Chinese  landscapes  "   

So  watch  that   site !

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 02:15:46 pm »

Guys,
   When I visited Charll and his family for a few days, after the 2012  ICSBS Portland convention, I looked at his bottles, naturally.
   These two are EVEN BETTER in real life than they are in the postings! Amazingly beautiful portrayals.
Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it,
Happy Holidays to all,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: