About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:29:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Chinese Snuff Bottles - From the Collection of Joseph Baruch Silver - Winter '87

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese Snuff Bottles - From the Collection of Joseph Baruch Silver - Winter '87  (Read 3056 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« on: January 29, 2012, 03:38:37 am »

Joey

Just found my copy of your book titled above.  Also a great reference,...and well... woow!  Just out of curiosity how many of the 96 bottles featured in it are still in your collection today, would you guess?  I am really interested to see how a early collector's collection 'turns', so to speak, for lack of a better word.

Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 06:59:31 am »

Dear Pat,

Glad you like it.

I had got to 660 bottles by 1991, when I needed money to restore my late Georgian house on 55 acres (22 ha) in County Wexford, Ireland. I didn't want to take more money from the family coffers, since there was a recession in Canada at the time (and our money is in Canada, primarily).

Also, there had been reports of an Asian (Viet/Thai/Chinese/Korean/Japanese Yakuza/? ) gang targetting serious collectors with focused violence to get their collections. I chose to keep my blue & white porcelains (about 10 at the time), inside painteds (about 20 at the time), and white nephrite jades (about 58 at the time).

Clare Chu, then Clare Lawrence, a dear friend and dealer, first tried hard to dissuade me from selling. When she saw I was firm, she agreed to represent me, but was firm that I must add my Jades. I wish I'd not listened, but in order to be able to sell anything, I had to psych myself up to sell EVERYTHING. I sold (lost, in my opinion) 6 or 8 jades that I really miss.

In the end, 10 or so of my jades didn't sell, including some really fine ones, and I've expanded the jades to 50; the B&Ws to over 140; the IPSBs to over 165 antique and over 140 modern (almost 40 of them Su Fengyi; 12 Liu Yizi and 13 Wang Xisan).  I will do a list of my MIPSBs and post it, this week.
   From the catalogue, I still have 24 bottles, mainly B&Ws, Jades and IPSBs, but a few bottles I decided to keep for sentimental reasons.

Best, Joey
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 06:30:36 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:40:33 pm »

WOW  !

What  a   story

Fortunately  my  collection  is  not  so  valuable    and    no-one    could  ever  sell the  bottles  if  they  did   steal  them

So  I can  enjoy   every  bottle   every  day  as  I  sit  at  my  table

Cheers   Peter

* s home display ( compressed).jpg (331.65 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 78 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

hlbb

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 09:47:27 pm »

Peter,

You actually got to look at your collection while you work!  Can't get better than that.

BTW, Horace is still non-committal about put his collection online.  I guess the only way is for me to go back home with my Nikon and start clicking away.
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:26:01 pm »

Hi  Walter

Horace's  collection  is   inches  deep in   HK    grey   dust

I  actually  thought  they  were  all  agate  until  I  brushed   of  the    dust    of  a  few   Wang  Guang Yu  bottles  that  I  would  give  my  eye  teeth  to  own

He  has  all his  bottles  laid   flat  side-by-side   like   babies   in  bed,   and   the   Amah  is  forbidden  to   touch them   on pain  of    death by a   thousand  cuts

( But  I  think  his  best bottles    :  Li  Ke   Chang    are   in his  office,     to  which  I have  not  yet been  invited)

Hooray   for   such  collectors   

Cheers   Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: