About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 05:50:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Ye Zhong San signed bottle - dubious activity on ebay ....

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ye Zhong San signed bottle - dubious activity on ebay ....  (Read 1411 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« on: January 21, 2012, 05:55:40 am »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170764368766

This bidding pattern is completely unusual given that the US is still waking up now, and Europe in full swing and also bright awake to see this auction through to the end, as is Asia.  No need to go this crazy 5-6 hours before auction ends.  Shill bidding heaven, if you ask me.  Beware and stay away....
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:44:46 am »

I went to look at that bottle as soon as I woke up.. It's up there !

s**r is the top bidder, and has zero buying and selling history..

I do see e**o in there..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:49:48 pm »

Wow, You guys are really good about spotting suspicious bidding patterns! I would never have noticed, or thought to look. I guess that is the Asperger's Syndrome. I assume everyone is OK till I learn otherwise. You've all taught me a valuable lesson. Thank you,
Shabbat Shalom, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 07:21:41 pm »

Just a follow-up on this sale, the buyer was legitimate.  He evidently doesn’t care if there is shill bidding since he was the first bidder and the last (highest) bidder.  I have noticed him as the high bidder on a number of IPSBs from various sellers.  He bought the Wang Xisan that Steven and I bid too low on and he also bought the Ye Zhongsan in a carved rock crystal bottle on eBay in December for $2,850.  That bottle was cracked and the seller denied it (according to the negative feedback and rebuttal), but I looked close at the seller’s photos and found the crack. 

Judging by the buyer’s eBay name he is Chinese, so buying good bottles on eBay is going to get more expensive all of the time.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 07:47:10 pm »

Good eye Tom!  But indeed the Chinese are buying up everything in site (sic) and sight, as we have discussed in several threads.  The good days to buy online and find treasures are mostly gone.  I have one collector friend in Shanghai who uses his perfect english speaking teenage daughter as the web-crawler, and very succesfully so, I might add.  They think these are bargain (?) prices as compared to local auctions in China, where they have to compete with much deeper pockets.
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 07:56:33 pm »

Tom,

A crack or inclusions?  I noticed the description provided says rock crystal.  Under some circumstances this could mean glass, but this terminology more often used to reference stone.  I have a number of IPBs that are quartz crystal and minor inclusions are highly desirable if it does not interfere with the painting or is actually incorporated as part of the design.  Would need more information to say this bottle is actually cracked.   Just a question.  Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 08:04:28 pm »

Of course you may well be correct Charll, but had I been interested in that bottle I would have asked about that reflection before bidding 28 hundred for it. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:35:23 pm »

Tom, 

I hear ya! I think I would have asked for clarification from the seller myself.  Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 09:04:23 pm »

I just found this thread. A really beautiful bottle...
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: