About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 03:49:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

My First Get Together With A Fellow Snuff Bottle Collector !

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: My First Get Together With A Fellow Snuff Bottle Collector !  (Read 4653 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: December 29, 2011, 12:41:50 am »

What a treat today was !

Charll and his Wife Donna drove up from their Son's house in Moscow Idaho where they were visiting for Christmas.. About a two hour drive to my house..

Charll brought with him two cases full of a wonderful variety of bottles to share. A little bit of everything !

It was the most bottles I have had in front of me at any one given time. Not only were there a wide variety, but all were really exceptional. Among those I got to handle were his recently posted Yue Fei Chinese hero bottle, the miniature Shanghai school style landscape bottle, the stunning rutiliated golden tourmaline quartz goose scene bottle, as well another heavily rutiliated black tourmaline quartz bottle. Both of these were stunning examples of high quality rutiliated quartz bottles. I doubt will hold another for quite some time.

He brought three very rare and old Japanese Lac Burgaute bottles. His personal favorites.. A very rare old, and extremely detailed red on white porcelain bottle. I have viewed a great many blue on white bottles online. I have never seen this kind of detail accomplished glazing before. Truly exceptional, and one of his favorites.

As well, a very old, and yes.. , again.. rare like most of his bottles, a natual miniature gourd bottle. Possibly the oldest of the bottles he brought along.

These were some of the highlights, and the list goes on..

For my first time get together with another collector, the experience of this visit with Charll will remain especially memorable. Being a novice collector, I was a bit nervous about getting together with a long time collector for the first time. Those nervous feelings disappeared quickly !

Charll also sparked a little more interest in me towards putting me at ease a bit about possibly attending the Portland convention.

He left as a gift Hugh Moss's fourth edition of Chinese Snuff Bottles with me.. Of which I will be sharing more about later on forum.. One of which is a different perspective on how best to use seal marks in regards to researching/referencing artist, and a super nice Chou Lo yuan article, and bottle examples.

Any way... Thanks again Charll and Donna for a wonderful day  Smiley

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:55:18 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:18:09 am »

what a fun day, I wish I can join you guys.
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 01:42:18 am »

Hi George

Which is  you and  which is  Charll?

Cheers  Peter
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:45:20 am »

I'm the guy on the left with the big smile on my face  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 09:41:02 pm »

Hi all,

That was certainly your lucky day George, having Charll visit you with a hands-on Museum-collection of so many bottles. Wow! I looked at the photos before reading the whole story and Charll's bottles are sumptuous.  My attention was immediately drawn to the red (enameled?) porcelain bottle with an Imperial mark in underglaze blue. Very rare indeed and you are very privileged to have been able to inspect it first-hand.  (Is my envy showing?  Smiley )  I am sure that you could have used a few days to fully appreciate that many high quality bottles.

I am tentatively planning on attending the next ICSBS convention in Portland 2012, so maybe we can have a forum members get-together there.   
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 09:44:16 pm »

Yes indeed... some very very nice bottles.  Thanks for sharing these pics!  And a nice opportunity to meet face to face instead of writing and communicating here.  Nothing replaces face to face contact and dialogue.

Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 10:04:35 pm »

Hi Tom  ( and  all )

GREAT  that  you  have  joined  the  ICSBS    maybe  will  even attend  the   2012   convention  in Portland

I  am  at heart  a  universalist    and  I  embrace  everyone   as long  they  don't  tell me  NOT  to  embrace  them

I am  rocking a  few  things  in the  ICSBS   in the  best   and  most positive   way  I  can ( kicked  off  by   joining the   WXS  Museum  opening  in May  2011   which  Berthe  and  Jo0hn  Ford,  and  the  Hardys    all  attended)

My  objective  is  to  bring the  ICSBS  into  this  forum  as  actively  as  you,   and  many others  are  so  doing

I may not  be  the  most  tactful  person in the  world  but   dammit  I  have  persistence    and   water  wins  over  stone

This  may not  be  to the  liking  of  ( some)   dealers   who  have   self  - abrogated    the  privilege  of    declaring  what  is  good  and  what is  not  good  in the    snuff bottle  world ,  but  snuff bottle  collecting  is  all about  COLLECTORS   not  dealers

And there  is  always  a  role  for    honest  dealers   in any collecting  hobby

I look forward  to  great things  in 2012 !

CHEERS     Peter

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 12:20:20 am »

I am sure that you could have used a few days to fully appreciate that many high quality bottles.

You know what Tom.. ?

You are 100% correct !

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 03:18:43 pm »

Guys,
 Re-reading the thread, some people might not realise which one was George and which one was Charll. "Guy on the left..." Whose left George, yours or ours?  George is the one wearing the baseball cap, by process of elimination, since I know Charll from meeting him at the 2007 ICSBS Toronto Con, and the 2011 ICSBS Palm Beach Con. Charll you didn't get to 2010 ICSBS Honolulu Con, did you?

Charll,
   Where did you get those 4 across, 3 down padded boxes for 12 ?
I've only ever seen 5 across, 2 down boxes for 10; 5 across boxes for 5; single padded boxes; and, very rarely, 2 across double boxes.

Shabbat Shalom,
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 10:48:46 am »

Joey,

Thanks for clearing up who is who. There are only two ways to read it, and I read it wrong!

By the way, I have a 4 x 3 padded box just like that. I wanted to know where you buy all the other sizes! I had a hunt around Beijing once, but without success.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 11:14:45 am »

Tom,
  I commissioned Guo Jie (Jill & Li Hui) to order boxes for me, 10 bottle boxes and five bottle boxes. The singles, I have a lot of at home. It used to be that if you bought a snuff bottle from a dealer, they gave it to you in a single bottle box.
  I'm sure Guo Jie can order some singles as well.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 11:17:35 am »

Tom, That is why I wrote it. I reread the thread, and even knowing Charll for years by sight, I got confused by the post. And especially since one is wearing a baseball cap, and one not - you'd figure that would be an easy way to clarify things
(At least to me; I DO have Asperger's Syndrome, albeit a mild case), so I added my 'two cents'.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 12:19:41 pm »

Joey,

The 12 bottle boxes were picked up off Ebay.   An Ebay dealer in Florida either commissioned or somehow acquired a bunch (hundreds) of contemporary IPBs that are being sold.  It appears these bottles were shipped over in the 12 compartment boxes.  Not having any use for the boxes once the bottles are sold, the dealer was then offering the boxes on Ebay.  They are used and some have depressed padding due to long term bottle storage, but they functioning just fine for my bottles and were only costing $20/box or a little less, depending on the bids at the time.

In the last week or so, one of the Chinese Ebay dealers was offering up I believe 10 bottle (5X2) boxes. 

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 01:41:52 pm »

Charll,
   I ordered 22 10 bottle boxes and 22 5 bottle boxes from Guo Jie (Jill) from Beijing. You wouldn't believe the hassle with shipping, customs and clearing, till I got them home to Jerusalem.
Thanks for the info.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 09:39:50 pm »

Joey,

I had to smile when I read your last post. One of the reasons you probably had so much trouble with customs and clearing, is that customs officials are trained to think differently from ordinary folks like you and I.

A naturally suspicious bunch of people (or 'shits' as you prefer to call them), they honestly cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would ship EMPTY boxes! You must have had them scratching their heads wondering where the real "goods" were hidden. They probably spent some time analyzing the boxes for traces of heroin, etc. before reluctantly releasing them!   Grin

Tom
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:28:13 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 10:33:45 pm »

Yes.. Like Charll mentioned... These do pop up on eBay quite often..  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 11:32:19 pm »

George, Charll and Joey,

Thanks for your input on where to source the padded boxes. My first choice would have been Guo Jie, until I read about the problems of getting them shipped. Mind you, I would risk the same problem from eBay if the sender is shipping to me from the US.  Cry

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 12:51:42 am »

Tom,
  I never thought about that!  I explained that I was a collector of these Chinese snuff bottles, and sent a catalogue to the Customs, to show them what would be inside, as well.
  My first job lot of boxes, 45 10-bottle boxes covered in a Song Dynasty pattern silk brocade, I got from YF Yang in 1990. I ended up re-routing the whole lot to Ireland, since the bast--- in Israeli Customs was so difficult. I had no problems in Ireland. 
  My second job lot, 22 10-bottle boxes and 22 5-bottle boxes, I had sent to Israel c/o my lawyer, so he could have a clerk clear them. He directed them to me, and it was a bit easier.
  Unless you've someone to make them in Thailand, you've not really got a choice. They are the most secure way to store snuff bottles. I tried in Israel, through my friend Haj Bilal abu Khalaf, but as my best friend, Khalil Khalidi said, Arabs are no match for Chinese in fine work. Few people are, it seems.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 12:58:04 am »

Yes, but who really wants to store them in boxes? I want them displayed.  So I use a sort of blue tack (although white and yellow) that is quite resilient to shocks.   
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 01:13:48 am »

Pat,
   Mr. YF Yang taught me that Westerners and non-scholarly Asians like to display all their snuff bottles, like they put all their paintings on their walls.

Scholarly Asians display one scroll or painting in a room at a time, and change it when they want inspiration from a different one. And they keep their snuff bottles and other small art objects in fitted boxes, making an effort to view a small group at a time. The effort one makes to view them, contributes to the pleasure one has on viewing them. And you don't get jaded or bored with them.

It was YF's argument that we don't really look and examine stuff on our walls after 6-8 months; it is there, we know it's there, it's not going anywhere, so no need to 'waste' brain cells looking carefully at it each time we pass it.

A new object stimulates our brain more, and we examine it. Seeing a snuff bottle with 'fresh' eyes, is conducive to learning more about it.

Thanks to this Forum and all of you, I've looked more often and closer at the treasures I own, in the last 7 months, than in the previous 12 years (from my late mom's getting sick in 2000, when I started taking care of her full-time).

Thank you all again, from the bottom of my heart!

Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: