About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 02:09:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

One that got away from me !

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: One that got away from me !  (Read 1133 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: December 12, 2011, 07:40:23 pm »

This is a nice one.. It has already exceeded what I am able to bid. It was just listed and already jumped over the 150.00 mark ..

This one really got away from me !

If I would have known this one was going to end up selling for so cheap, I would have been there at the final minute of the auction.

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 08:38:11 pm »

You will see that this is a rather normal ebay trend, which is still good for us all, but I am not sure how much longer.  Usually unsigned older bottles rarely sell for over $100.  Signed older ones however, rarely ever sell below $150-$200 .. watch the pattern...

The prices are creeping up... and it seems that ebay is starting to get average higher sales for the unknown bottles than the auction houses.  The colourful one with the broken stopper will probably sell for over $500 based on the bidding pattern.  I can't read the signature but nice bottle...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:21:46 pm »

The prices are creeping up... and it seems that ebay is starting to get average higher sales for the unknown bottles than the auction houses.  The colourful one with the broken stopper will probably sell for over $500 based on the bidding pattern.  I can't read the signature but nice bottle...

I noticed that too, the porcelain bottle's price on ebay much higher than the auction house, if someone do the business, will make the fortune out of it:), nice porcelain bottle on ebay $500.00+, but on auction house, you can spend $300+20% to get a decent one.

Nice bottle, kind of like ye's style...
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:20:21 pm »

Looks like the seller got wiser. He/she added more pics.  It is a Ye signed bottle, ... lets see how high this one goes. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Steven

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:59:09 pm »

wild guess:)$650.00
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 11:40:15 pm »

I think your pretty close Steven ..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:09:59 am »

Although this type of IPB bottle is not to my personal taste, for comparison the following is coming up for sale at a Bonham’s San Francisco auction on 12/20/2011.  Just received the printed auction catalog and the bottles that are currently up for action can be viewed on the Bonham’s website.   

DISCRIPTION:
A Ye family studio inside-painted rock crystal snuff bottle.  Dated by inscription to 1912.
Of upright rectangular form with a rounded shoulder, oval foot ring and slightly concave rim to the cylindrical neck, painted to one side with the Song general Yue Fei pursuing another warrior on horseback and reversed by an emperor and official observing gold fish, dated cylically to renzi (1912) and bearing the signature Ye Zhongsan zuo.
2 1/8in (5.5cm) high

Estimate: US$1,200 - 1,800

Photos show front and back of the same bottle

Enjoy, Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Steven

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:18:57 pm »

I would say that buying this kind of bottle on ebay will have more risk compared to buying it from Bonham, at least I assume that Bonham have experienced appraiser who can identify that fake one....
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 12:34:30 pm »

wild guess:)$650.00

Well, you and I were off on this one Steven.. !

It has shot up into Charll's 1200 to 1800 mark with about an hour left.. Will be fun to watch the last few seconds on this one..

Although..... Just my humble opinion.. The present 1200.00 bid is already top dollar for this one..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 07:59:06 pm »

I personally think it is a very fair price actually.  I could not bid on it as the seller only accepted bids from within the USA (very stupid and shortsighted on the seller's behalf, by the way, with a direct impact on the ending price and their wallet).  BUT the problem I am having is the bidding pattern and a winning bidder with (0) feedback.  This always makes me think of a shill bidder or seller remorse once he/she found out it was a Ye bottle and it did not go high enough for their taste or liking...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 08:02:03 pm »

And after Charll posted the back of the Bonham's Ye bottle, we can now add the 'warrior' theme to the Ye family repertoire too.  Arrrghhhh....
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 08:34:01 pm »

And after Charll posted the back of the Bonham's Ye bottle, we can now add the 'warrior' theme to the Ye family repertoire too.  Arrrghhhh....

I know what you mean about the possible shill bidding..

I sort of suspect that to have been the case with this one.  With 40 people having been wathing it and all the bids prior to the auction ending, it was "VERY" strange that not one single bid was placed during the final minutes of the auction.. That was a red flag for me...

Charll....

Any way you could take a couple of close ups of that Yeh warrior bottle so I can add it to the warrior thread for future referencing ?
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 09:02:38 pm »

George,

The Ye bottle pictures that I posted are not mine.  It is a bottle coming up for auction at Bonhams in San Francisco this Tuesday December 20th.  So if there is any interest out there to acquire this bottle, one can sign up with Bonhams to bid.  Auction starts at 10am Pacific; Lot 8050.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

hlbb

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 12:17:21 am »

Guys,

I am late to the discussion and I must say the input is most fascinating. Hopefully the standard is maintained with this post.

As we all know there are a lot of bottles from the House of Ye that were painted by his son/disciples and then signed by the master himself.  The similar theme has been repeated numerous times, sometimes the composition was altered a little and then a new title was used.  In fact, I recognize the same lady with the back toward the viewer in one of my own Ye bottle (first pic)  There was some modification to the hair and dress but they looked to come from the same template!

What is more stunning is that I also recognize the title and the overall composition in another bottle of mine!  This time it is a Yong Shou Tien bottle (second pic).  The resemblance was I think undeniable, especially when the titles were almost the same (the Ye bottle said "The Lady from FengYang" and my Yong said "The Person from FengYang").  

Not sure how to make of it.  But looking purely from a artistic point of view, I think the quality of this Ye bottle was just so so.  Notice how awkward the posture of the rider was, it looked like the guy was copied from another picture/bottle in a different position and inserted on the horse in this one.  The picture on the opposite side was a little better, but it looked like the painter had spent very little effort to color the face of the ladies!  

I saw that the winning bid of the bottle was US1225.  I am tempted to put mine on eBay to see how much I can get!  Wink

* ye2-1 (small).jpg (107.69 KB, 432x767 - viewed 26 times.)

* yong-2 (small).jpg (122.62 KB, 432x767 - viewed 27 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 12:51:23 am »

I knew that bottles were painted by the sons of various families like the Yeh family, and signed Yeh, but was under the impression that it was those same sons/apprentices that were doing the signing of the Master. I did not know that they would paint them to be turned over and actually signed by the Master..

That is really interesting about your two bottles having such similar titles, and painted by two separate Master artists..

With the warrior bottles, I can see how a great many artists would paint such similar scenes. Certain Generals, and battles are famous and so not surprising that many such scenes were painted. Somewhat the same with floral/vase type paintings.. Friut/flowers/vases etc have been painted in every imaginable art medium. So again, no surprise that many IP artists painted them.

Unlike your two bottles.. Unless someone else can confirm, I found absolutely no poems, stories, or pieces of art titled or referencing "The Persond/Lady From Feng Yang".. So very strange indeed that two separate artists would come up with the same title..  It sure is interesting ! 

I also totally agree with you about the overall awkwardness of that Yeh bottle..  If given the opportunity purchase this privately.. I would not consider even paying 500.00 for this same bottle.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: