About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 08:21:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

a green glass bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: a green glass bottle  (Read 1235 times)
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« on: December 12, 2011, 05:24:03 pm »

Just bought the bottle, can somebody identify the age for me?

The seller describled it as a jade bottle, it doesn't look like jade to me, I assume its a perking glass bottle.

* $(KGrHqJHJ!sE63KsneNuBO3B9jUMfQ~~60_3.jpg (43.72 KB, 800x519 - viewed 39 times.)

* $(KGrHqZHJB8E63(O8Re0BO3B9WZDk!~~60_3.jpg (31.89 KB, 375x800 - viewed 47 times.)

* $(KGrHqZHJDkE63ZdCidIBO3B9fy1r!~~60_3.jpg (40.8 KB, 800x519 - viewed 37 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 06:57:04 pm »

Gosh... This is a tough one to age..

Ya know.. it sure looks like some kind of rock/mineral..

I'm sure you know if it is rock or glass, just looks like rock to me..

Very different color of glass.. That sort of suggests to me it sure has some age.. I will have to go on a research hunt to place that color of glass.

The stopper is not original to the bottle, but absolutely love the attached spoon !!

Beautiful shaped bottle too !
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:00:07 pm by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 07:08:00 pm »

Ok... I found one almost identical in appearance.. I would say it is a good match..

You can probably contact the ICSBS and ask for details.. I'sm sure they would be happy to help..

If they do not reply for some reason, let me know.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 08:31:22 pm »

Thanks George,

I really don't know if its a stone one or glass one, since I didn't pay much for it, so it doesn't really matter to me, I just like the shape and color:).

BTW, How can I contact ICSBS, just email the contact address?

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 08:49:15 pm »

Here ya go...

icsbs@snuffbottle.org

Maybe mark it to the attention of Ian.. He has been a big help to me on a couple of bottles..

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:46:34 am »

Hi Steven,

Have you determined the material on this one yet?  Just my opinion, but I would say it is glass imitating jade.  The swirls of lighter green on the sides and the solid lighter green at the mouth are signs of glass works.  The surface appears to have quite a few partial bubbles from grinding and polishing.  Pebble shaped snuff bottles are pretty rare, so it was a great find. Congratulations.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Steven

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 10:14:42 am »

Thanks Tom,

I 100% agree with you, I was lucky enough to get this one, I got it before christmas, Its much prettier than the photo, and as you said its a glass one for sure. I made a appiontment with the seller, she has 40 more snuff bottle for me to pick, hope I can find some nice one from there:), BTW, I only pay $50 for the glass one.....SmileySmileySmiley
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 10:24:12 am »

Hi Steven,

Yes, you certainly finished last year off with a big bargain. I am sure that your green-glass-imitating-jade snuff bottle would be a welcome in any major collection - past or present.  One might even conceive of the Qianlong Emperor marveling at its beauty. 

Good luck with the rest of the collection.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:30:43 pm »

BTW, I only pay $50 for the glass one.....SmileySmileySmiley

Super bargain !!
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 06:30:37 pm »

Steven.....I knew I had seen a similar color glass bottle to yours, and ran across it this morning.   No pic attached to post, but since you were on the Bonhams website you may have seen this lot.  Color very near that of your bottle. 

Fine Snuff Bottles from the Collection of Margaret Polak, 24 March 2010, 580 Madison Avenue, New York

Lot No: 126
A green glass snuff bottle of confronted dragons and cranes.   1750-1800
Of circular form on an oval foot, the opaque green glass carved with a medallion at each face, coral glass stopper.

2 1/2in (6.5cm) high

Sold for $5,124 inclusive of Buyer's Premium
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »

Sold for $5,124 inclusive of Buyer's Premium

Nice !!
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 11:28:30 pm »

That one is much nicer than mine,but I still happy to know the age of the bottle, which I guess is close to the one on Bonkams.
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 10:25:30 am »

Thanks for posting the info on that bottle from Bonham's, Charll.  I knew that shade of green was rare, but somehow familiar.

Although they are quite different in shape, I like yours equally well Steven.  It is a shame that the old collection labels are mostly unreadable, could have been some pertinent information on them.  Are you going to leave them or carefully remove them to keep with your documentation of your collection?
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Steven

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 11:01:17 am »

I think I will just left it as it was, the old lady who own the bottle bought it from an antique store, I guess the lable is the price tag.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 04:01:29 pm »

Beautiful bottle of glass imitating green Jadeite, Steven. I had one I bought from the Alice R. McReynolds collection of NYC. Allie, of blessed memory, was a great lady and a great friend. She sold a lot of her collection at Sotheby Parke Bernet (the name of the auction house in USA at the time), in LA in 1984 at our ICSBS convention there. Different shape, more like Margaret Polak's bottle (she was another good friend, of blessed memory). Yours has a very elegant shape. Well done!
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

DCist
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 12:14:38 pm »

Steven:

Another thought is that it might be an eggplant type of bottle, usually they have a small collar with "leaves" around the opening/neck.  This might explain the fact the opening is a different color since the leaves are missing.  Also, the stopper could be more of a twig shape, rather than the traditional "button" on the bottle now.  However, pebble shaped bottles are well established types, usually in jade, and yours falls into that tradition nicely!
Report Spam   Logged
Steven

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 12:41:35 pm »

Thanks Ted,

I think that you might right about that this could be an eggplant type of bottle, if the bottle can have a twig shape stopper, it will look much nicer, will try to find a better stopper for it,maybe a twig with leaves.Smiley

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 05:30:59 pm »

Dear Steven,
    Looking at it again, thanks to Ted's post, I thought it looked more like glass imitating Spinach Green Nephrite Jade, than imitating Jadeite, as I previously wrote. Actually, tonight I thought it looked like a jade bottle, till after rereading Tom's post, I enlarged the pictures, and saw the polished out bubbles etc., he mentions. Whatever, it looks like a genuine bottle with a possible dating of 1760-1880. I know that's broad, but I can see it as early as 1760, but also as late as 1880.
 It's a personal feeling; please don't take it as written in stone.
  Shabbat Shalom, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 07:44:23 pm »

Thanks Joey Cheesy

So glad to know the possible date( I guess I will take it as written in stone), that is one of my favorite bottle. I am  pleased whenever I touch it, so smooth and ice cold:)

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 03:18:06 am »

Dear Steven,
    Enjoy it in good health. I have a few snuff bottles like that, white nephrite jades (Yu). They are great to hold in the hand, and seem to communicate the calm and spirit of the scholar who held them 200 or more years ago...
Shabbat Shalom, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: