About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 12:06:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Modern school Bottle signed Cai Shi dated Bing Wu 1966

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern school Bottle signed Cai Shi dated Bing Wu 1966  (Read 1194 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 08:46:16 pm »

I can't recall if it was Pat or Peter that commented some time ago about the current practice of washing out the existing Middle period paintings for the sake of re-using it..

I remember that they commented on how the person who washed out the existing paintings really cringed about doing it.. 
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 08:54:35 pm »

It was both of us, I think.  I have to admit that I did it once myself, as a prior owner has already destroyed the painting by trying to clean it out, so I decided to finish the job.  End result is a very nice old, plain, beautifully hollowed rock crystal bottle that one day I will use for a commissioned painting of my kids. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 10:26:02 pm »

End result is a very nice old, plain, beautifully hollowed rock crystal bottle that one day I will use for a commissioned painting of my kids. 

I keep watching for nice non painted rutiliated or even non rutiliated quartz bottles for the same reason..

My artist of choice for a commissioned bottle will be Dylan Shu.

It is a bit of a pipe dream though, as his commissioned bottles run upwards of a couple thousand dollars..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 07:39:08 am »

Hi Everyone,

Just a little update on my Wu Jianzhu signed Cai Shi IPSB.  Peter graciously offered to ask Li Hui what he thought of the bottle and he said it was probably genuine.  That is just his opinion based on the photos I supplied to Peter, but it is encouraging.  Thank you Peter.

I found the following auction description of another 1966 dated IPSB painted by WJZ from an auction held in London by the old Phillip's Auction Company in 2000:

An inside-painted glass Snuff-Bottle, signed and dated "bingwu nian chun ri Cai Shi zhi'' (made by CaiShi in the Spring of 1966), of canted rectangular form with rounded shoulders, depicting a figure reclining at the tip of an overhanging rock, the reverse painted witha gilt fan, inscribed in Han-dynasty style script (li shu), signed and dated below the fan, mock jade glass stopper.
7.5cm. (3in.) high overall (2)

E400-600 [*The E stands for Estimate in British Pounds GBP ($ 560 - $840 USD)]

'Cai Shi' is the studio name used by the artist Wu Jianzhu, who was born in 1945 and who entered the Shandong studio in 1959. Inspired by the Ming dynasty artists and calligraphers Ba Da Shan Ren and Shi Tao, he often depicts landscapes, bamboo and rocks inhis work, although he also paints Buddhist and figural scenes. Calligraphy in the style of the Han and Wei dynasties also appear in his work, as seen in this example.
Phillips: United Kingdom
Auction Date: 2000

I will keep you updated, if I find anything else.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: