About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 07:02:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Help with one of Bill's

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with one of Bill's  (Read 397 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: December 04, 2011, 02:59:59 am »

Can anyone make this out ?

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

hlbb

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:59:58 am »

The title of the bottle is "驚蟄", which is the 3rd of 24 solar terms (節氣) in the traditional East Asian calendars.  In terms of our calendar, it is 5-6 March.  The 2 characters (notice that I used the traditional version of the writing, afterall I am from Hong Kong and this is how I write) literally mean startling (or waking up) of the insects.  The day marks the beginning of the spring when the creatures get out of hibernation.

Interestingly, I think the artist had written the 2nd character wrongly.  I have checked all the simplified/traditional versions of the character and I could not find one resembled that on the bottle.  BTW, the bottle was painted in 2006 (from the look of it that is the only logical guess), early summer according to the writing.

My comment on the quality of the bottle: the painting is pretty good.  The swallow in the sky, the man resting with his mule (donkey?) by the stream matches the theme of the bottle.  The calligraphy is just so so though.  The artist needs to put more effort in this aspect in my opinion  Wink

Hope this help.
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:02:23 am »

Hope this help.

It helps a great deal Walter.. Thank you for taking the time !

Might as well share the reverse side of the bottle too..

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
hlbb

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:38:21 am »

Ok, now I am totally confused.  The reverse side does not match the other side or the title of the bottle.  The artist obviously had put tons of effort to create this palace scene.  And it is very good.  However, this busy and colorful image does not mixed with cool and calm theme.  To be honest, I think the reverse side should have been painted on a separate bottle, may be named: "The trip of the Emperor" or something like that!
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 11:30:00 am »

Yes, quite a contrast between the two sides.. You would not even know the same artist did both sides of this ..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: