About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:10:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

What is it about these stained looking bottles

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What is it about these stained looking bottles  (Read 3758 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: April 10, 2011, 11:52:10 pm »

Hi All.  This  has  got me  thinking .... Roll Eyes

We  know that   snuffbottles were  primiraily  used for  SNUFF, just like  mobile  phones these  days  are   used     to  talk to each  other.  I use  just the   cheapest  Nokia,  several  years  out of date. But my  PA  only   buys the  latest  iPhone ! When  we give  gifts  to our  customers  in China  we use  the  latest  iPhones and  iPads   It  was  only    when   snuff bottles developed  in to   19th  C  business  gifts that    ther  arose  a  generation of    true   artists  whose  bottles  were never  used  for  snuff,  but  just  for  display. " Hey   ! -  my  i-ZLY  is  a later and  better  version  than  your  i-MSX"
So alongside the   few   acknowldeged   "greats"  there must  have been   a  whole  cottage  industry  turning out    commercial grade  bottles   with some minimal  decoration   for   real  snuff use. ( Pat  tells  me  he  has  bottles  which actualy do contain  residual   snuff  particles !    QED)   As usual  with commercial grade  stuff, it's never  valued  at the   time  do finally very  examples   finally  survive . Thus the   3   - rail  Hornby  00  gauge  toy  train  set  I   palyed  with  as a kid   50 years   ago  is  now  very rare and sells  for  several  hundred  USD  on ebay. Very  hard  to fake that  !
So doubtless there  are  many   genuine   commercial grade bottles 100 years  old,  unsigned  but    very  beautiful, and therefore a  collector's genre in their  own  right.   The  only  problem is the   Chinese  innate ability to copy  ( did  you know  that    there  even fake  chicken EGGs  for sale  !!!!!  )   so   as soon as    antique   commercial  grade  bottles   become popular  there will  surely be a  factory  turning out  copies  which  are  ( almost) as good as the  original.  I don't know  how the experts   differentiate  between a  fake and real  ZLY  or  MSX,  but they can  do so  ( but also  provenance   surely  counts  heavily, especially when     these bottles    change hands  for  USD  tens  of  thousands )  . But equally, there   is a   group of  collectors  who   collect the    genuine  antique    commercial  grade  bottles  as  an art form in its  own right, and rightly  so , because they are collector's  items  and often  very  beautiful, as  well as   comparatively  rare.   
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: