About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 10:24:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Ch'en Chung san bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ch'en Chung san bottles  (Read 718 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: November 17, 2011, 08:07:13 pm »

I know won't be able to bid on these, but wanted to share them ..

Auction link...

Starting bid is a couple hundred..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:55:32 pm »

It definitely not painted by ye, its not that difficult to tell ye's bottle, he really likes to use bright red and green color, which make his style big different from other artist...
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:59:54 pm »

Do I have the signatures mixed up ??

I thought this was Ch'en Chung san signature..

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 11:39:28 pm »

This is 'newer' blown glass from 60s/70s at best and intended to deceive.  I would go as far to say that the bottles were made in 2 steps. Photo-etched imprint and then coloured in.  Only high res pics would tell the tale. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 02:56:14 am »

Actually, now that you mention it, they do look similar in appearance to the twin Yeh bottle ..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:13:11 am »

When I looked it again, I would say the bottle is definitely old, it might from ye's family, or old bottle be repaint by later artist, I kind of like the left one..
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 02:38:25 pm »

Think I agree with Pat..

Especially when I put em side by side to a recent Yeh bottle that I sent Pat.

That aside, I think what is bugging me is the odds of offering up two extremely similar in appearance bottles at the same time.. Maybe that is off base.. Just an observation.

Remembering that I am not nearly as qualified in judging as others here ! Just my two cents  Wink

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 07:02:11 pm »

FOR THE RECORD: These are for sure not middle period style bottles, not in shape nor quality.  Any IPB artist of that period would not have been caught dead in that kind of glass medium.  Furthermore, NO glass bottle could have retained that shine and new look...  By the way, the 'sanding' comment earlier by Steven in another thread is not so far off-base.  There is a process used to 'fake' old glass.  Not sure how it is done but a lot of the cheap export/tourist type produced bottles from the Shandong artists (50s/60s..) come with 'faked' pock marks, scratches etc..  Virtually all of these bottles carry many of the old master's names but clearly are not and never will be mistaken for the real thing by anyone 'in the know'.  I am not sure who they intended to fool but some of them are quite interesting both in shape and subject matter.   I have a few dozen different ones of these that I kept just for the different shapes and their 'look'. In the end, the 'look' is kind of like agate inside painted bottles.  Almost always these bottles have light brown/sepia to dark brown background shade/color.  The end result is a diffused painting inside the glass.  Seems like it would have been a lot of work to even go through this process.

Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: