About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 07:12:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Changes To The Forum / Private Category, and Boards Related To IP Bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes To The Forum / Private Category, and Boards Related To IP Bottles  (Read 5037 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: November 03, 2011, 08:22:23 pm »

John,

Sorry  -  I forgot  that  you  did   indeed  send me  good  pics  and that was very  decent  of  you

Also  Walter  :  you  did likewise , for which many thanks  indeed 

I am  second  guessing   when  I say the     following  : I get the  feeling  you  are  at the  stage  in your  collecting where  you  have  a  couple  of   dozen  beautiful bottles  and  your  collection  has   stayed  at that  level  for the  past   couple  of  years,  just  as  I  was  in  2006 - 2008   ( and the  same  with collecting  matchboxes  in my infant  years) .  But then   suddenly the   collecting   bug  will  attack  you  and    a  couple  of   dozen  grows  to   a  couple  of  hundred   as  you  develop a  taste  for   certain  styles   and   artists  .  At least  that's what happened  with me !  Beware !

Everyone  :  please   don't   think I  begrudge  sharing  my  DB  with    very little   feedback  - in fact  just the  opposite.

I created  the  DB as a  way to   "spread the   word"  and   the more   copies that are  circulated  gratis the  better. When I  retire   and if  I ever have the   time,   and if  Bill  agrees, we  will  put the  whole  thing  on line  forever  on Bill's  website  in  a  secure   server  so it will  never be  lost 

But  having the   DB  on  line  vs    in one's  hard  disc  are  two  completely different  matters  until    roaming  download speeds increase .   Time and  time  again I'm in a  shop  or  talking with an  artist and  want to pull  up  a  pic  instantly  from my  lap top , which I can  easily  do   from my  DB .  But  not so easy  on-line  when a   3  MB  pic   takes  a  couple of  minutes  to  download, and one   wants to scan  a  dozen  such  pics  to  find the  right one

The   DB  is  currently  7  GB  (  it takes  my  super-fast   lap top  several  seconds  just to count the   files) and by the time  I  finish  it  will  be    15  -  20  GB  .  I  will issue the  next  major  update  in  late   2013

BTW  :   in the  course  of  my time  I have  put  out  many  feelers  / hooks.  Every  so often  one  catches a  big  fish   eg

a)  yesterday   I got an email   totally   out of the  blue from a painter   called  Zhang  Lei  ( CIPMA  260/261) .  I  met this guy  in 2010  at a dinner   with   Wang Guanyu in Heng Shui, but  did  not  realise that   WGY is  his  UNCLE !   He  is based  in SH and   holds  exhibitions   about  once  per  year   with  full  cataloge.  Next week  I am in SH  so  I will   surely find  time to  meet  him

b)  I  have  had  a  very  sporadic  correspondence   with  a   French  dealer  in  antique  IPBs  called  Laurence  Souksi. Suddenly  he    sends me an  email   just after   returning  from the   ICSBS   convention  in Palm  Beach  with a  load  of  useful  feedback and  network info  ( and he   may soon join the   Forum) 

This   Forum is  all   about  NETWORKING .  That's  why it's so great  , despite  some   teething problems.    Once one   starts to  network  : magic  things  happen - meeting  people  on-line  like Pat, Richy, Walter, John,  and of course  George

Our  company    has a  CRM  system  that is  so complicated   ( it  was designed  by GERMANS   for  GERMANS)  , not to  metion hideously  expensive  ( several  hundred  thousand  US$)   that  no-one  ever  uses  it   except  a  couple  of   Germans: in fact  we  all  hate  it.     If  only   we had  set   up  something as   simple as  George has   done  we  would  all network  far much more

Cheers   Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: