About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:18:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Changes To The Forum / Private Category, and Boards Related To IP Bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes To The Forum / Private Category, and Boards Related To IP Bottles  (Read 5035 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: November 03, 2011, 08:47:47 am »

Hi George, Pat  ( and anyone else  in on this  discussion)

Personally  I vote to keep the   whole  Forum  open   just as it is .

If it  ain't  broke   - don't   fix  it 

Participants   will   only share  what they   are willing to   share  openl, and  I think that  the  more  that is  shared  openly the better 

eg  I  have offered  my  data base  free of  charge  to any serious  collector and so   far  I  have  sent  out  about  10 copies worldwide on memory  sticks     ( but so far,  to my  disappointment,   no-one  has  sent me  pics  of  their  collections in return to add the the  DB , the  sole  exception  being Bill Patrick who has  put his entire  collection  on the   www in  a  beautiful  format, which is  why  I respect Bill  so much) 

It   takes  a lot  of  research to  untangle  all the  alternate pen names   so every  contribution  is useful , and I  created  my  DB  with the  sole objective  of  helping  new  collectors   find  their  way through the  MIPB  jungle

Things  are  made  even more  complicated  (  if  that's even possible)  by the facts  that :

a) many   Modern  IPB  artists  seem to   explode into life  , bloom for  a  very few years,  and then  vanish  completely, so every  collection   starting   with  J. H . Leung's,  then  Bill's,  then  Pat's, then mine ( as just a  typical   sample  over   30 years , just mentioning the  collectors  I know  well  or  - in the case of  J. H Leung -  know  of)   is just a  snapshot  of the   bottles    created   during  the  collector's  most enthusiastic   period  of collecting

b) some  MIPB  collectors  are  very  secretive and  never share  their  collections.  I know one  such collector  in HK  of this  kind . Such   collectors   have the right to  their  total   privacy .

c) some  older    MIPB  artists   seem to  get a  second  wind and  start  producing  THE most amazing work  late  in life  ( eg  Fu Guo Shun) so  one can never   write  off  an older  artist.   But   on the other hand ,  other  well-known  MIPB artists    just go  stale and   turn out  increasingly  boring  work   with almost  zero  artistic  merit

d)   some  older artists   even  let their   students  paint  bottles, then the senior  artist   signs  his name.  (At  the  Wang Xisan  Beijing  Museum opening  I had  some long  conversations  with the  Singapore  collectors  who had  ardently been collecting the   latest   works  of  one  very  senior  artist,  only to find that   when they got together and  added  up the  number of bottles  they had all  bought each  year,  they realized there  was  NO possible  way that   senior  artist  could have painted  so many  bottles ergo  he  had been signing on his  students'  bottles .....  ugh !)

So I vote  to keep the   Forum as  it  is.  After all it's just early days  !

And if  there  are  some matters   we  prefer to  keep private, we can  easily  go off-line and  use  private email, as  you know  I  frequently  have  done on matters   which I   don't  like to  share  openly

Well... that's my    10 cents   worth

Cheers   Peter

PS :  Sorry I have  not been active  of  late.   I  have  had a lot  to  do  at  work  these past months, and I need my salary to  support  my  bottle-buying habit .    But I have  in the  meantime   picked up  some  AMAZING  bottles, including  some   from  Jill ( Guo Jie)'s   latest    catalogue  by  virtue  of  going to  her  BJ  shop  before the  catalogue was even  published and   snapping  up  the  bottles   which I  loved the  most   ( Beware : no matter  how  much effort   goes  into  preparing  a  catalogue - and  Jill's   2011   catalogue  is  her best ever / superbly  produced  -   some bottles  look  much better in real life  than  any    catalogue  photograph,  and  similarly  some bottles  look  much  worse  in real life  than  in a   catalogue/  photo/ jpg  . As an  example  -  I bought one bottle   from Jill  this  year   that   the  artist  himself  had  offered  me   2  years  earlier,   but I declined   at the  time, even though  he  sent me a  very  hi-Q  jpg )

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: