About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 16, 2024, 01:54:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Reproduction Brass/Gem/Stone inlaid Snuff Bottle Covers and Spoons

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reproduction Brass/Gem/Stone inlaid Snuff Bottle Covers and Spoons  (Read 4046 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« on: October 28, 2011, 04:13:33 am »

Hi all

Since I don't like caps/covers that the modern IP bottle painters use, I have been looking a long time for a decent source for these covers as in the pictures.  I finally found a supplier for $4.5 each in the sizes of 12-15-18-20 mm.  These tend to retail in the $7-9 range.  The only caveat is that I have to place an order for 500 pieces which is a little hard to chew off for me right now.  I am gauging the interest of the people on the list to see IF you want to order any along with me.  I will probably order 200-250 for myself,... I need more eventually, but the multiplication still comes out to a steep figure.

Let me know if any interest and if so, for how many and what sizes do you need/want?  I am still working on the larger (and smaller) ones, but need to place the first order before they will budge or be interested.  Since I approached them with these sizes, they kind of latched on to that, probably because they are indeed the most common sizes. 

Thanks for your interest and reply!

* Snuff Bottle Covers.jpg (80.08 KB, 800x576 - viewed 59 times.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:31:46 am by Inside Painted Collector » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 04:39:58 am »

I really appreciate you sharing these Pat..

Couple of problems for myself..

Even 50 would be way more than I could use..

Another thing.. Just an observation.. I dislike the short spoons.. I would rather have the stopper by itself than with a short spoon.

I know that the stopper and spoon is secondary for some collectors to the bottle, but I think a nicely matched stopper can really make a bottle pop... Even more so with a beautiful full length spoon..

Just really particular about the spoon being longer.. A better match for an average 3" tall bottle.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 04:50:15 am »

Thanks for the reply George, and you are welcome.  ANY order size you need, let me know.  I was given a end of november timeline at the prices quoted, so I am looking at tallying up the potential 'takers'. 

I agree on the short spoons.... however, for IPBs this is NOT a bad thing, as they are easily scratched.  In fact, I have also toyed with the idea of having the tops made without the spoons, but interestingly enough, that DID NOT make them cheaper, as I was requesting 'special things', ofcourse.  In the future, I may actually try to re-negotiate for caps without spoons.  But then again, it just does not look right and authentic without a spoon in it!
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 04:58:31 am »

By the way, just to clarify I think most of these have a 2-2.5 inch spoon, so that would be the right size for most bottles in 3-3.5 inch range which is the large majority.  They manufacture these based on the average size bottles.  Maybe the pic does not show it properly but if you take an average diameter of say 16mm (from 12-20mm) then you can see what I mean... There is no problem there.   Also, I think once I establish an order and rapport, I can 'customize' as needed. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:03:45 am by Inside Painted Collector » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 05:38:15 am »

I do plan on making stoppers for my bottles. I did make one out of agate, but it lacked both a collar, and a spoon.

Once I get the technique down, will be at least making some nice matching stoppers for those of my bottles that lack them. Not sure if I like the silver trim/bezel setting around stoppers like the ones in your pic.. I am on the fence about them.

Did not really care for the look of my first one. Really needed a collar. 

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 06:21:15 am »

It is all a matter of choice and preference.  I think for $4.50 these are a steal, but everyone has a different taste,...I love the tiger eye ones in particular, but they did not agree to include more than 5 pct of the tiger eye (it is all about raw material cost I suppose). The bezel is brass/gold colored, not silver, by the way, again it is a bad pic.  I think silver would look bad on any glass bottle, except perhaps the colored ones.  Anyway, can't argue color or religion they say... lol....

It is true however that with your skills and specialty you can do what most of us here can't.  There may be a sideline business there for you ;-)
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: