About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:28:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Florida Convention.. Anyone going ??

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida Convention.. Anyone going ??  (Read 936 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: September 30, 2011, 12:02:34 am »

Just curious..

Anyone going to Palm Beach for the ICSBS convention ?

October 25–29
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:53:15 am »

Hi All

I  will   certainly  not  be  going  :   No  time  and  NO money 

When the   ICSBS  next   decides   to hold an annual  meeting  in Asia (REAL Asia  - not  Hawaii)   I  will  probably  join   for the   first  time

But  Jill  ( Guo Jie)  and  her  husband  Li Hui  will attend  in Florida   Their  2011   catalogue  is their  best   ever  yet  (  I mean  REALLY   GOOD ! Superbly   presented and many  MANY   great  bottles   for  sale  at   very  fair  prices.  I  already  bought  a  couple  of  bottles    from the   catalogue*     based  on  a  pre-cataloge-issue  visit to  Jill's  BJ   shop/ showroom in    ealy  Sept. ,   and  I    just heard  from Jill  that a  S'Pore  collector  has also  snapped  up  3  more ) 

But  far more  important :  Jill  will  give a   full  presentation to  the  ICSBS  on  Modern  IPs  at Florida.

She  asked  me  to  help  turn   her  Chinese   draft  ( much of  which  I think  Li  Hui  wrote,  as an artist  in   his  own  right)   into   "appropriate"   english.    Man.......  I am  telling   you this  was   a  real  challenge   and  I learned a   great  deal  in the process.  The   subject matter  starts  out  simple  enough  -  the  history  of  Modern 'M'  ( post   1950)    and  Very  Modern  'VM'  ( post  1990)  IPBs  .  But   digesting the   detail   really made  me  think about this   IP  era  as  I have never  thought  before.   

If  ( when)  you  finally read   Jill's  presentation, which  I'm  sure  I can  get her  permission to  send  you   privately  after  the  Florida  convention  (  can maybe  even  post  on the  Forum)     you   will  say  " yeah   yeah  / know  all that  stuff" 

But  when  you  really   chew and   digest  the  words, as  I had  to   do when   working  on the   translation,  you   begin to  understand  the   slow  and   painstaking   growth  of this   art-form.

That's  the  difference  between  accessing  my  DB   from  USB  stick  in an instant,  compared  to   working  for  hours/ days/ ....2  -3   weeks to  download  all  Bill's  amazing  website  and   looking  at  every    3  MB pic   in detail  as  it  slowly  downloads

But  then,   at the  end of the  presentation  Jill  ( or  rather , I am sure,   Li  Hui)  goes  into  outer  orbit   and   writes  about  Modern  IP  art  in  a  way  I could  never possibly  translate  myself .   I   tried  my best,  but   finally  I had  to  give the  job to  one  the   top  professional  translators  I know  in HK  for  best results

I am hoping, praying, that  this presentation  by  Jill   will  go  down as a  Landmark  at the  ICSBS

More   anon

Cheers   Peter

*  this  included   a  truly  AMAZING  bottle  by  Suo  Jing  :   quantum levels  above  anything   else  he  ever  painted

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 04:41:12 pm »

Thanks Peter..

Looking forward to reading it !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards