About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:46:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

王习三 Wang Xisan

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 王习三 Wang Xisan  (Read 1258 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« on: September 21, 2011, 03:28:08 am »

王习三 (Wang Xisan)
Wang Xisan, an artist for inside painting, was born in Fucheng County, Hebei Province. He is now working in the Special Handicrafts Factory of Hengshui Prefecture of Hebei Province and holding a post of director of the China Snuff Bottle Research Association .He grew up under the nurture of his family and was fond of handicrafts making and painting when he was a child. He studied at Beijing Art & Crafts Lab when he was young. His teacher Ye Zhongsan was a famous handicraftsman in the late Qing Dynasty. He was the first apprentice not from his teacher’s family. In order to carry on the traditional skill of his teacher, he changed his name Wang Ruicheng to Wang Xisan (Xi means to learn from; San,his teacher Ye Zhongsan).
  Carrying on the Ye School style, Wang Xisan brought forth original ideas and absorbed the quintessence of both Chinese and foreign paintings. He founded the Hebei School, a new style of inside painting. For example, on a snuff bottle’s inside surface less than three square inches, he painted the figure of Qu Yuan, who was an ancient Chinese poet. Qu stood by the Miluo River, his eye raised to the sky and his garment blown by the autumn wind. This picture portrayed vividly the great patriotic poet in the 3rd century who was sad, angry and overwhelmed with mingled feelings. In another picture, One Hundred Boys, Wang Xisan painted a hundred boys. Some are playing on a swing, some playing hide and seek, and some playing diabolos and climbing poles. All the postures are different.
  At the Hebei International Symposium on Trade and Economy and Technical Cooperation in 1985,Wang Xisan’s works, a set of snuff bottles painted with portraits of successive American presidents arouse great interests of businessmen both from China and abroad. An American businessman, Mr.Great, extolled it again and again, “Wonderful! It’s a real art treasure.” This is a set of 40 walnut-sized crystal snuff bottles, on the inside 39 successive American presidents and the American flag were painted. All the portraits rendered were strikingly true to life, even the autographs were very like those the presidents wrote themselves. As Wang Xisan said it took six people one year to grind smooth only the 40 crystal snuff bottles and took him two years to collect and choose the presidents’ portraits and autographs.
  When the set of works were shown in Hong Kong, it caused a great sensation. In 1984,Wang Xisan went to America to take part in the international snuff bottle annual meeting, the Congressmen of the States chanted the praises of them after seeing the works. They were praised as “the epitome of the Chinese arts” by foreign newspapers and magazines. In 1985,this set of works were selected as national treasures and won a gold medal.
  The set of snuff bottles painted with the portraits of successive emperors and empresses of the Qing Dynasty also arouse great interests of foreigners when they were shown in the united States in 1982.They were reported many times and were called “a unique gem” by the New York Times and other magazines and newspapers. His work “the portrait of Puyi, last emperor of the Qing Dynasty” was chosen as the “best collection” in the 13th Annual Meeting of The International Snuff Bottle Association. Collectors at home and abroad to buy and collect his works. Both Wang Xisan and his works won world fame.
  The inside painting by Wang Xisan has reached a high degree. His style incarnated that of the traditional Chinese arts and absorbed the technique of expression in foreign paintings. The contents of his paintings were strictly selected but widely. They cover flowers, birds, mountains, rivers, figures, plants, insects, and portraits of famous persons at home and abroad. In order to attain perfection in his art, Wang Xisan reformed the tools needed in painting. He also trained new followers of the Hebei school.In addition, he has writen several books such as “Snuff and Snuff Bottles”and “The Inside Painting.
http://www.suozhenhai.com/ewxs.html
http://en.xisan.com/index.asp
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:42:18 am »

Thanks George for keeping me honest and re-classifying them,... I noticed too late!
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 03:50:40 am »

No problem !  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:18:40 am »

Hi Pat

In addition to  posting  info   like   this  ( GREAT   STUFF  ! )   please can you also attach the  same  info  as a  word-doc  or  pdf?

I found  it's  impossible to   cut n paste  from  the  Forum  to a  word-doc

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 08:40:09 pm »

http://english.cri.cn/4406/2008/11/18/1942s424957.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:32:36 pm »

Good day Pat !

Say.. Hope you don't mind, but merged your last link with the existing Wang Xisan topic..  Sort of keep it all together a bit..  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 07:02:50 am »

No prob... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 05:17:06 pm »

Want to add this blog link here that Pat posted over in another topic ..

A Collectiors View Of China And Its Modern Snuff Bottle Artists

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 05:50:59 pm »

Hi   Goerge

Is  that  quote  ICSBS   "copyright"  ??  !!

Cheesy

Cheers

Peter 
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 06:27:41 pm »

Probably is indeed but I did not 'quote' it, I linked it .. lol.. and the original 'quoter' did it right by giving author, source, and date.   Grin   any copy 'right'  Roll Eyes lawyers in the room?
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 07:37:42 pm »

Hi  All

I  even  a  reference     to  anything  in the  ICSBS  journals   is  that   OFF-LIMITS  ?

If  so, then    that's the  end  of  free   speech  ... and  thought  ..  !

Heck  ...   I'm  only   a  lowly    MIPB  collector   and  I  can't  even  share  my   enthusiasm  on line  ?

Where has  the  world  come  to  if  fellow  collectors  cannot   share  ?

Seems  like  we  should  all  by-pass  the  ICSBS  in ALL   Forum   discussions

Let's  do so    from now  on.

Cheers   Peter

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 08:22:39 pm »

You guys are funny !

Hey, but in all seriousness.. I am interested and hopefull towards taking this to the next level.. Building a connection between the ICSBS and our forum is that next level.

That was also in part, the reason I emailed the members inviting them here. 

If there is a positive outcome to the April ICSBS board meeting, then some pretty amazing things can result.

Like you Peter, myself as a lowly IP collector also wish to share enthusiasticly, and with fellow collectors !

I really hope the future holds the opportunity to build on as compared to by-pass a relationship with the ICSBS.

One thing that we have talked about before between us here is the desire to aid towards true well deserved acknowledgemnt of, and recognition to the VM generation of IP student artists.  Part of our underlying cause and initial purpose to creating this forum was the future hope that these student artists might gather here with us.. From there, we are talking about yet another entirely new level !

I could go on and on about the endless possibilities when I think about VM students gathering within a site like the forum.

I am going to continue to have and build on the positives as opportunities present themselves so our community of collectors here can grow at speedy and enthusiastic pace !

I think am starting to ramble a bit.. Guess in a nut shell, I truly hope for an alliance and degree of camaraderie.

As Mrs Ford mentioned to me from part of an email sent. ..

"We wish to be mutually helpful as our goal is to broaden snuff bottle scholarship and camaraderie. We will review a number of options related to membership opportunities, etc."

I am not in any way even in the slightest upset about a request to remove articles.. I am more eager about getting past this little glitch between us.

As it turns out, this little glitch about articles looks like a future blessing in discuise at the moment.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:35:06 pm »

All,

George nicely put on your last post.   This can and should be kept positive.  I know the forum has those ICSBS members here on its’ side, and even a number of ICSBS board members not involved in the site see the potential.   This forum has the possibility of becoming a huge success which can only be asset too and help bolster ICSBS membership.  It’s an instant discussion open to all, no more letters or emails and waiting for a response from a person days or even weeks later.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:42:28 am »

Hi  Charll

Good  input

Rally  behind  George  !

I  know  that  if  - in his  position  -  I  would feel very  lonely

Get in    there  !  PDQ  !

Cheers
Peter

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 12:47:21 am »

All,

George nicely put on your last post.   This can and should be kept positive. 

Absolutely, and that is the very best way to help .. 

Let's let this little glitch go in regards to the journal articles issue.. Both myself and Berthe have moved well past and beyond that, and are focusing on future alliances to some ( yet to be determined ) degree between the ICSBS and our forum..

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:50:04 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:16 am »

YES !!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: