About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 16, 2024, 02:45:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Can somebody help me please???

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can somebody help me please???  (Read 280 times)
deputydad23
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:49:21 am »

I have an antique snuff bottle which was given to me by my mother. My mother was friends with a lady who owned an antiques shop and was given the bottle as a birthday gift one year. Since I can recall, I have always been intrigued by this bottle and as a birthday gift to me a few years back she passed it down. I know its a snuff bottle, however I do not know the age or the material its made from. I originally thought this was ivory, now I question it and think it could be bone. The artwork is very detailed and I am assuming that this is pre 1900 however I could be wrong. I know enough to know this is not a reproduction I just do not know enough to place a date on this piece. I spoke with an appraiser over the phone once and was told that these could be worth upwards of 10K depending on what you have, however I have no idea what mine is or what it could even be worth. If someone has some knowledge and could please educate me, I would love to know. Also just out of curiosity what would something like this go for in an auction just in case I was wanting to sell it later on down the road. Thanks everyone for your time and help!

Brandon
Northern CA
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:14:26 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 01:47:21 pm »

Pretty sure this one is carved from Ox Bone, although.., it may be carved from resin.

To make sure of the difference. Take a needle/pin and heat the tip red hot with a lighter. Touch the hot point to the bottom/base of the bottle. If it burns and give an obvious ordor of burning resin/plastic, then you will know it is resin. If not, then my best guess is Ox Bone.

If Ox Bone, then not worth a great deal.. They are quite commonly sold on eBay in the 20.00 range.. Here is one example..

There are many ways to place value on these beauties.. In your case, it is the connection to your Mom... That is priceless !  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: