About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:09:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Rose Quartz or pink Agate? Whats the differance?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rose Quartz or pink Agate? Whats the differance?  (Read 862 times)
Jungle Jas

« on: September 12, 2018, 08:11:46 am »

Hi all,

I know many of you are much more experienced in stone and mineral bottles than my self, but can any of you tell me the difference in the above. I was looking on eBay this week and a lady had a few snuff bottles for sale, two of which I was very interested in. The first was carved pink agate bear with black agate eyes, which was a bright baby pink described as a snuff/opium bottle. The second a rose quarts carved Cicada snuff/opium bottle. I'm not sure why they were described as dual use, she probably thought there were more opium takers than snuff  in London. LOL. However I thought Quartz and Agate  were both virtually the same. I bought the bear on a make an offer just because I didn't own a bear snuff bottle. It looks as though I may have made a mistake, the cicada bottle is now at £320.00 with 6hours to go! Roll Eyes Shocked Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 12:20:44 pm »

Need pics...

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
albert

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 02:39:12 am »

Both minerals are mainly formed with SiO2, but agate usually has bands. Perhaps the seller does not know about minerals.
Send pics to show to us your new bottle!!!

Best,
Albert.
Report Spam   Logged
Jungle Jas

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 05:21:35 am »

Hi both,

Thanks for your replies.  The seller is away until the end of the month so I shall not obtain the bottle until then. But I will try and post something when I get it.. I have to say there is no banding on the bear and it looks like no Agate I have ever seen. It is a uniform soft baby pink throughout with out any floors in the material I am able to see, that was another reason I bought it. It is opaque, but you can see light, back lit from a window shining faintly through the ears and feet.  Any Ideas what else it could be.

Regards Jason.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:37:48 am by Jungle Jas » Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 05:05:43 am »

It may be quartzite, which is generally opaque white, but can be colour enhanced.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Jungle Jas

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 02:23:58 pm »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply, I was coming to the same conclusion regarding being enhanced, as it is almost to good to be true.

Regards Jason. Undecided Wink
Report Spam   Logged
ileney

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 09:14:21 am »

Though that sounds like something that is likely enhanced, there are a number of minerals that are pink, and some, while they usually have banding, can occasionally be found without it. Can you link to the ebay listing? Offhand, I have seen botswana agate without banding, though it is usually banded,  and likewise examples of rhodonite, rhodochrosite, pink opal, morganite, kunzite, rose quartz and others.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:43:51 pm by ileney » Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 07:52:38 am »

Hi, Ileney,

I will post a picture of both bottles from eBay within the next 48 hours. Although they are not of the best quality I suspect they will do the job.

Kind regards, Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
Jungle Jas

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 03:24:41 am »

Hi All
As promised herewith 2 pictures of snuff bottles. Your comments on the minerals they are made of would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Kind regards
Jason

Edit.  The Bear is 2 1/2" long, the Cicada 3 1/4"

* pink agate bear.jpg (157.99 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 43 times.)

* rose quartz cicarda.jpg (122.44 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 42 times.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 10:14:26 am by Jungle Jas » Report Spam   Logged
albert

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 04:02:42 am »

Dear Jungle,

Thanks for share the pictures, the cicada is very beautifull. And I would apreciated that you post more pictures and explain how is hollowed, how the stopper is and other information to receive interesting coments.  Wink

On the other hand, the bear don't looks like an snuff bottle.  Huh

Best,
Albert.
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 04:51:45 am »

On the other hand, the bear don't looks like an snuff bottle.  Huh

I was curious about that too... 

As for the mineral type..  Can not say for sure about the bear, but want to say the cicada is rose quartz except the color seems a bit off.. Hopefully someone else can id it better for you..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
ileney

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 10:15:20 am »

Hmmmm. I really don't think these are what is commonly called rose quartz, but I could be wrong. The bear might be chalcedony. The cicada might be a form of it too.
(Chalcedony is a term that is used different ways, but usually in art and jewelry refers to any unbanded agate. Chalcedony includes cryptocrystalline quartz, meaning any quartz whose crystals are so small you need a miscroscope to see them.) The cicada could be agate too. I wish I could tell you for sure. There are a number of minerals that look similar. Maybe George would know better? Do you have any idea of hardness? (Can test on an inconspicuous area, maybe?) If you have a good scale, you can do a specific gravity test and see what comes up (these are fairly easy to do. You can find instructions by googling.) If you have a gem and mineral club nearby, you could email and ask if they could check them for you at their next meeting.

You might also try posting these on the lapidary forum. If you don't mind if I copy the pictures, I could try posting them there and see if people there have firm ideas of what they are.
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 10:18:49 am »

I just was looking at the bear again. Are the white spots, such as the one by the nose a bubble or an inclusion? If a bubble, then it is glass, maybe peking glass.
Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 02:18:14 pm »

Hi all, firstly I would like to thank the three of you for your comments. Until I have the bottle in my possession I can not add much more. Having looked again at the bottles I can only say, that the bear is indeed more unusual than the cicada which was why I bought it. If it started out as a snuff bottle I don't know? Having blown up the pictures I can confirm the white specks appear to inclusions they are all over the bear if you look closely. All the time I have been working in glass I have never seen bubbles that minuet.  If you look there are also flaws in the material unlike anything I have seen in glass, The front leg two wavy stripes on it one white with a yellow one underneath and down towards the foot is a brown broken line. Also along the side of the bear  are light wavy lines continuing onto the back leg. which look like natural mineral floors to me. If you would like to post these pictures  on a lapidary forum please feel free. Finally although the head and back are smooth  there are a lot of hair marks on the rest of the bear but you can only make them out on the neck just before the  leg, there are some white slashes and also along the back edge of the front leg there are carved indentations which are also hair marks. The lack of detail is due to the bear being backlit which does it no favours. Ileney I will also look into the fact you think it may be Chalcedony, thanks.

Kind regards Jason
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:18:55 am by Jungle Jas » Report Spam   Logged
ileney

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 10:23:47 pm »

Here is a specific gravity chart and a Mohs hardness chart that might help.  https://www.finegemdesigns.com/gemsspecificgravity.htm
https://www.finegemdesigns.com/mohshardnessandlocation.htm
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:26:03 pm by ileney » Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 12:56:00 am »

Here is a specific gravity chart and a Mohs hardness chart that might help.  https://www.finegemdesigns.com/gemsspecificgravity.htm
https://www.finegemdesigns.com/mohshardnessandlocation.htm

Thank you Ileney, I will look into this further when the bear arrives. Wink

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: