About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:00:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Mother-of-Pearl bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mother-of-Pearl bottle  (Read 604 times)
snuffmke
Private Boards

« on: September 03, 2018, 05:23:00 pm »

Another bottle for the organic category. Not sure if this would technically be considered "embellished" because it looks to be mother-of-pearl—oyster and abalone I think—and bone/ivory medallions applied to a base bottle. I really have no idea what the base bottle is as there's not much of it actually visible except for the base.

Speaking of the base. Based on some (very brief) research, it looks like it might read Daoguang and then a cyclical date. The first character of the date (third from right) looks to be "jiǎ" but I can't make out what the last one is. Of course, that's what it might say, but I'm aware that might not mean that's when it was made.

BTW, just got a little lightbox from Amazon and wow, does this thing help take fantastic photos. Just a $60 box with LED lights and a black background (and my iPhone) and I've got some pretty fine pics if I do say so myself.

Brian

* IMG_7254.jpg (259.59 KB, 1000x1000 - viewed 43 times.)

* IMG_7255.jpg (263.58 KB, 1000x1000 - viewed 36 times.)

* IMG_7257.jpg (223.69 KB, 1000x1000 - viewed 25 times.)

* IMG_7256.jpg (214.71 KB, 1000x1000 - viewed 20 times.)

* IMG_7258.jpg (236.88 KB, 1000x1000 - viewed 34 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Brian – A third generation collector in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 05:46:43 pm »

Brian,

Nice bottle, and nice pictures!! 

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 07:26:37 pm »

Brian,

When viewing this thread I had see this bottle recently, however it was not your bottle.  Here is another example that sold on Ebay August 19th, 2018 for $605.00.  Chinese mother of pearl, sea-ear (Haliotis) shell, and perhaps ivory (or resin) medallions with a deer and crane motif.  White agate stopper.  Daoquang etched mark. 

I have seen a number of images of similar bottles in sale catalogs from the late 1960's and 1970's, and would speculate that this bottle is from that era.

Charll     

* l1600 (1).jpg (162.28 KB, 800x755 - viewed 29 times.)

* s-l1600 (1).jpg (178.89 KB, 800x832 - viewed 28 times.)

* s-l1600 (2).jpg (181.13 KB, 800x984 - viewed 25 times.)

* s-l1600.jpg (177.41 KB, 800x953 - viewed 22 times.)

* s-l1600 (3).jpg (147.13 KB, 800x630 - viewed 25 times.)

* s-l1600 (4).jpg (93.35 KB, 800x523 - viewed 21 times.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:39:51 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 08:40:35 pm »

Brian,

When viewing this thread I had see this bottle recently, however it was not your bottle.  Here is another example that sold on Ebay August 19th, 2018 for $605.00.  Chinese mother of pearl, sea-ear (Haliotis) shell, and perhaps ivory (or resin) medallions with a deer and crane motif.  White agate stopper.  Daoquang etched mark. 

I have seen a number of images of similar bottles in sale catalogs from the late 1960's and 1970's, and would speculate that this bottle is from that era.

Charll     

Charll,

Well, I'd say that's pretty much an exact match. Guess they were churning these out from an assembly line. I had my suspicions that it wasn't that old. I think you've confirmed them. Honestly, the characters on the bottom had the feel of something that a non-native writer would have copied. Just didn't seem "right". Regardless, it's a decent little bottle.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 02:05:39 am »

These must both have certainly been made at the same shop. 
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Jungle Jas

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 03:11:26 am »

Hi Brian,

What a pretty bottle, I thought I had seen it before on eBay and I echo what Charll said. However I think thy were made many years apart although both very competently. My reasons for this is the staining on yours looks fake and applied. I always say applied stain equals fake.   On the eBay one it is more natural also look at the leaves on the tree above the stag's head. Much better quality on the eBay bottle. What do the rest of you think? That being said I like it and wouldn't mind it in my collection.

Regards Jason.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 03:16:49 am by Jungle Jas » Report Spam   Logged
Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 12:12:05 pm »

Jason,

I tend to agree with Charll and George, that these two bottles were from the same shop.  And I think I'll go out on a limb and date them to around 1971 or just before.  I came across this advertisement in the back of The Snuff Bottle Collector, Feb, 1971, no. 4.  I think these were the bottles being sold. I think one has stain and one doesn't just to mix it up, and if you look closely, the apocryphal mark on the foot is the same except for one extra horizontal line on the fourth character.

Brian,
Was your grandfather a member of the Hong Kong Snuff Bottle Society, as well as the ICSBS?  I venture to guess that Joanna Lau Sullivan was also, and that she bought hers from Y.F. Yang, too.  What's the dimensions of yours?  Hers measured 2 1/2" tall (including stopper) by 2" wide.  Incidentally, I was shocked when Charll posted her bottle from Ebay.  It just so happens that my brother bought it!  I think he paid  too much for it, but it's lovely, all the same.
Cheers,

Rube.

* YF YANG adv 1.jpg (99.48 KB, 480x640 - viewed 38 times.)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:14:04 pm by Rube » Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Jungle Jas

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 01:35:37 pm »

Rube, congratulations on your detective work and what a coincidence your brother has the other one. I have to say the manufacturing looks identical, I just prefer the execution of your brothers.

Regards Jason

Report Spam   Logged
snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 09:30:50 pm »

Jason,

I tend to agree with Charll and George, that these two bottles were from the same shop.  And I think I'll go out on a limb and date them to around 1971 or just before.  I came across this advertisement in the back of The Snuff Bottle Collector, Feb, 1971, no. 4.  I think these were the bottles being sold. I think one has stain and one doesn't just to mix it up, and if you look closely, the apocryphal mark on the foot is the same except for one extra horizontal line on the fourth character.

Brian,
Was your grandfather a member of the Hong Kong Snuff Bottle Society, as well as the ICSBS?  I venture to guess that Joanna Lau Sullivan was also, and that she bought hers from Y.F. Yang, too.  What's the dimensions of yours?  Hers measured 2 1/2" tall (including stopper) by 2" wide.  Incidentally, I was shocked when Charll posted her bottle from Ebay.  It just so happens that my brother bought it!  I think he paid  too much for it, but it's lovely, all the same.
Cheers,

Rube.
Rube,

Wow, this is amazing. You've have some serious PI chops!

Thanks,

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 09:48:02 am »

Good craftsmanship for a bottle made about 40+ years ago.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: