About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 12:26:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Greetings from Milwaukee!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from Milwaukee!  (Read 3123 times)
snuffmke
Private Boards

« on: August 19, 2018, 11:29:06 pm »

I have a new hobby. It's called snuff bottle mania.  Grin

I may be a new collector—I only have a handful so far—but this passion is actually decades in the making. You see, I'm actually a third generation snuff bottle collector. My grandfather was the first who starting collecting them. I grew up hearing the names Bob Stevens, Hugh Moss, Wang Xisan, Ma Shauxuan, and on and on. My grandfather had impeccable taste as a collector, so I was lucky enough to be exposed to some of the very best bottles growing up. He passed 16 years ago this month and my father has his collection now. On a recent visit to my father, he gifted me a few snuff bottles, so now I'm an official collector.  Smiley

As my father was never a very active SB collector—he collects many other things—he has been sending me the family SB literature collection (books, ICSBS Journals, and auction catalogs). If you need any research help, let me know. Chances are I may have the source you're looking for and I'd be happy to send photos of any pages you need.

It's much too early to know if I have a specialization. I've loved all types for so long, I'm not even sure I could pick. I have begun to really fall hard for some of the VM IPSBs though. The artistry and detail are breathtaking. So much more vivid and detailed than most work from earlier periods.

If there are any other collectors near me here in the midwest (I'm in Milwaukee, WI), it'd be great to hear from you. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to engaging with all of you in the forums.

--Updated--
My name is Brian, btw. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:58:32 pm by snuffmke » Report Spam   Logged

Brian – A third generation collector in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 11:53:19 pm »

Hi Snuffmke,

Welcome to the forum! Do you have a name?

You have certainly come to the right place to meet other SB collectors. With internet we are all as close to Milwaukee as Singapore, England and California. I'm based in Bangkok.

All best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 11:57:36 pm »

Ha ha. Guess a name would help. My name is Brian.

Pleased to meet you Tom. You're right. The internet definitely does make everyone equally close and this forum looks like a fantastic resource!

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 02:42:40 am »

Hi Brian,

It’s a pleasure to meet you on the forum and a warm welcome!

It’s interesting that you’ve come from a collector family. Every collector falling for this miniature Chinese art form finds a certain charm and appeal in it. To me, snuff bottles are a depiction of the history and culture of Qing Dynasty. They are also a platform for many other arts and crafts such as painting, enamelling, lacquer work, carving, etc and an extensive range of materials have been used to make them, which amazes me.

I’m glad that you found this forum and we look forward to sharing our passion and knowledge with you.

By the way, I’m from Hong Kong.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 04:36:15 am »

Hi Brian,

Warm welcome to the Forum from Ohio! I, too, have ancestors to thank for my fascination of snuff bottles. I joined this forum so that I could better understand my grandmother's collection. Slowly, I've been starting to acquire some of my own bottles, and like you, can't seem to narrow down any particular style, as there seem to be too many beautiful, interesting materials and themes to choose from. 

You'll be amazed at the wealth of knowledge found within this forum, and the wide array of bottles shared.  Don't be shy yourself!

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 08:11:16 am »

Thanks for the warm welcome, Samson. Yes, there is definitely a charm to snuff bottles! I do love how there are so many media and techniques used in their creation. And the historical aspect is also very fascinating. I'm actually reading Imperial Twilight by Stephen Platt right now. It's about China and the Opium War that took place in the late 19th Century during the Qing Dynasty. It's mostly from the British perspective, but definitely an interesting read.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 08:20:17 am »

Hi Rube,

Oh, I'll try not to be too shy! I may not have many bottles yet, but I love the ones I have and will be sharing them on here over time.

That's great that you're from Ohio. My grandfather actually lived in Ohio his whole life, Lorain to be more specific. I lived in Cincinnati (Mariemont) for many years as well. Actually had the opportunity to meet the Golders many years ago when I lived there. Wow, was that eye opening. So many bottles and they were so very nice.

Glad to hear you're a multi-generational collector as well. I'm sure your as proud as I am to carry the tradition forward.

Cheers!

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 08:45:13 am »

Brian,
What a small world! If you’re ever back in the Heartland, look me up.

Cheers,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 10:21:15 am »

Rube,

I'll definitely do that! What area are you in?

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 10:29:08 am »

Thanks for the warm welcome, Samson. Yes, there is definitely a charm to snuff bottles! I do love how there are so many media and techniques used in their creation. And the historical aspect is also very fascinating. I'm actually reading Imperial Twilight by Stephen Platt right now. It's about China and the Opium War that took place in the late 19th Century during the Qing Dynasty. It's mostly from the British perspective, but definitely an interesting read.

Brian

Brian, Imperial Twilight sounds like an interesting read! There’s another book on the political structure of late Qing and life of the last Qing Emperor (also incidentally the last Emperor of China) called Twilight in the Forbidden City written by Puyi’s (name of the last Emperor) British tutor Reginald Johnston.

Glad to know that you had the opportunity to meet with the Golders! I learned from our fellow forum member Joey that they were respectable collectors, and I’m blessed to be able to acquire two bottles from their collection, one of plain white jade and one of root amber with taotie carved on both sides which you can see here:

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,3679.0.html
http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,3798.0.html

I look forward to seeing some bottles from your collection as well!

Best,
Samson

Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 01:20:08 pm »

Samson,

That sounds like a great read too. I'll have to add it to the list. Smiley

Those are superb bottles you acquired from the Golder's collection. I only wish I had started really collecting a little sooner so I could have acquired a bottle from their collection seeing as I had—at least cursorily—a personal connection with them. I remember sitting on their coach in their high-rise apartment with my father and Sylvan brought out wave after wave of padded snuff bottle boxes brimming with bottles for us to look at. I was actually surprised they didn't have more on display, but then again they did have a lot of them!

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 03:02:17 pm »

Brian,

Columbus, OH.

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 07:02:50 pm »

I remember sitting on their coach in their high-rise apartment with my father and Sylvan brought out wave after wave of padded snuff bottle boxes brimming with bottles for us to look at. I was actually surprised they didn't have more on display, but then again they did have a lot of them!

That must have been an eye opening experience for you Brian! I wish I have more opportunities to visit great collectors to see and handle their exquisite bottles, I think I’d be excited like a kid finding himself in a theme park... Roll Eyes

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 04:31:16 am »

Hi Brain,

Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing your bottles and having your input to our collective of snuff bottle aficionados.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 10:01:48 am »

Thanks Adrian.

I look forward to sharing what few bottles I have.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 02:10:26 pm »

Dear Brian,
welcome from Italy. Are mostly of your bottles inside painted? If so, we will have almost no exchange of opinions, because I know nothing about that type of bottles. I do collect also Chinese ceramics.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 04:05:42 pm »

Giovanni,

Pleased to meet you! No, actually I only have a few inside painted bottles. The majority of my bottles right now are ceramics and a few glass.

Regards,

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 04:27:14 pm »

Eager to see them, then!
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards