About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:46:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Things Associated with Snuff Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Things Associated with Snuff Bottle  (Read 2568 times)
OIB
Private Boards

« on: June 26, 2018, 09:00:48 am »

Dear all,

Wonder if any of you have seen this , or have it in your collection ?

A new contact I made who deals in tea pots ( esp. Japanese iron tea-pots ) sent me this rather interesting object.
He lives in Tokyo and told me the object is a container for tea leaves.

I follow on with the lead  -  the company seal mark at the base of the containeer  -  to enquire if they are selling it.
Regrettably, the reply was it was of limited edition and they have stopped producing it. Added, it was exclusively for the Japanese markets and not for export !

For your enjoyment and response, if any.

Regards,
Inn Bok
Singapore

* IMG_0305.JPG (38.54 KB, 800x658 - viewed 109 times.)

* IMG_0306.JPG (37.13 KB, 776x800 - viewed 229 times.)

* IMG_0307.JPG (53.97 KB, 662x800 - viewed 182 times.)

* IMG_0308.JPG (72.99 KB, 765x800 - viewed 205 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 04:01:54 am »

Hi Inn Bok,

Your post reminded me of 4 plates I had seen for sale of the same design that I had come close to buying a while ago. They are by the same company and to the same design and yesterday I found they were still for sale so bought them and will post them here when I receive them.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 07:05:37 am »

How interesting! Japanese Porcelain wares decorated with Chinese snuff bottles!
I'm amazed. Never heard of them before.
Well done,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Jungle Jas

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 11:38:59 am »

Hi Inn Bock,

Thanks for posting,  I have never seen anything like it before. I would love to make room for it on my shelves.

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 04:02:27 pm »

Lovely!  I am glad you have this treasure.   Jo
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 09:27:39 am »

My plates arrived from Japan this morning.

It is always such a pleasure to deal with Japanese sellers who thank you for your order as soon as you place it and add hand written notes of thanks and small gifts in with the goods which are always beautifully packaged.

Regards, Adrian

* P7030942.jpg (144.74 KB, 607x600 - viewed 173 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 11:45:03 pm »

Dear Inn Bok and Adrian,

Lovely! Thanks for sharing! Adrian, I agree with you. Always admire Japanese service culture and the meticulous way they package their products. That’s why Japanese products have always been popular in the world market.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 12:17:11 am »

My plates arrived from Japan this morning.

Hi Adrian,

That's quick.
Very atttractive. No use for me though - I'd be constantly pushing my food around the plate to look at the bottles!

All best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 11:09:57 am »

Guys,

I found a Japanese seller in Kyoto who does not know how to pack things well, and sent no gift or message.

My last day in Japan in April, I went with my friend Ger looking for Japanese mens' cloth kimono belts, and found them. As well, we toured Nishiki Market, and also had a delicious sushi lunch in a tiny restaurant with 5-7 seats [!]. As well, in a gallery selling bronzes etc.,  I found a wonderful meditation rock on a wood stand. I bought it, and the dealer assured me it would be well packed and sent.

It was sent, but was poorly packed and broken into 2 large pieces, 19-20 cm long each, and a few little bits. The bottom part still fits into the stand, and looks fine, although roughly half its original height. The upper part I am thinking of sending back, and requesting that the dealer have another stand made to fit it, and send back both rock and stand to me.

Giovanni felt I should send it all back and demand a refund. He may be correct, but I still like both pieces, and they could work as 2 meditation rocks, if I can get a proper stand for the upper part.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 10:00:45 pm »

Dear Adrian,

Where did you order the lovely plates from ? I would like to give it a try if these porcelain items are still available.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 10:45:41 pm »

The upper part I am thinking of sending back, and requesting that the dealer have another stand made to fit it, and send back both rock and stand to me.

Dear Joey,

Sorry to hear about the breakage. I think your proposal is a very good one. You get two meditation rocks, and the dealer doesn't lose face.
Of course, if the dealer refuses, then immediately do as Giovanni suggests.

All best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 04:01:26 am »

Dear Tom,

Thank you. I thought the same thing. The dealer was very pleasant and personable when I visited his gallery, and I don't think he was malicious; just not smart enough to pack it correctly. Since it had not been opened by Israeli Customs, I can't even blame them. Roll Eyes Grin

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 07:24:39 am »

Hi Adrian,

I too would like to order some of these plates, if available. They would indeed look lovely on display in my office. Great find.

Best regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 04:01:02 am »

Hi Inn Bok and Toni-Lee,

I bought the plates as second hand which I didn't make clear with my earlier post and as they seem to have been a limited edition that was only for sale in Japan it was lucky for me to have seen them.

I don't really need 4 of them so if anyone was interested then I paid £10 each including postage from Japan.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 04:06:40 am »

Hi Adrian,
I'm more interested in the textile under the plate in your photo. Can you give me some details about that?

All best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 04:24:32 am »

Dear Tom,

I believe that is the snuff bottle decorated textile Adrian found a year or so ago, and tried to find the producer or stockist but had no joy.
I'm always amazed at the stuff he finds; like Steven and Giovanni, Adrian seems to be blessed with an eye for finding great stuff in unexpected places.
I could not believe Adrian's luck in finding a 4 bottle lot of Middle Period IPSBs which included, if I'm not mistaken, 4 genuine bottles by 2nd tier artists like Meng Zishou, Chen Zhongsan, etc.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 05:43:38 am »

Dear Joey,

With luck like that, it probably won't be long before Adrian sniffs out another 20 yards of that textile....  Cool

All best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 08:41:04 am »

No luck with the fabric. The seller told me it was discontinued when I asked her if she had anymore.

She does have some other Chinese fabrics with very traditional designs that would suit lining a snuff bottle display case for example. There are traditional dragons, shou symbols, one with chinese porcelain plates (might interest Giovanni), copies of old embroideries and patterns etc.

Her shop is on etsy and is called fairyqueen1980 if anyone wanted to take a look.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 09:01:13 am »

Dear Adrian,

Thank you for the update and the offer.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 12:54:01 am »