About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:28:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Glass Enamel Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Glass Enamel Bottle  (Read 1140 times)
joearp
Private Boards

« on: June 18, 2018, 01:31:09 pm »

Glass, of elegant spade shape, painted in famille rose enamels, one side with a gardener adjusting his shoe in the garden, beneath a pink magnolia with two wicker baskets filled with flowers, the other side with an elegant lady standing on a terrace, leaning on a side table and gazing into a garden at a bush and above, a window with a delicate screen.  The neck of the bottle is surrounded by floral motifs and the base has an iron red mark in archaic script Qianlong nianzhi.  I love this type of bottle and am thrilled to have a bottle that has been in the collection of Mary Ann Bresee.  She was very kind to me when I first joined the ICSBS. She died in 2017. 

Yangzhou School, 1750-1795
Provenance: Mary Ann Bresee, Florida

* ge1.jpg (243.11 KB, 800x991 - viewed 70 times.)

* ge2.jpg (241.74 KB, 800x1038 - viewed 153 times.)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 02:13:54 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 02:12:45 pm »

Dear Jo,

I have not seen you on the Forum for a while, So glad to see your post.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful bottle with solid provenance!

The bottle is well painted, with very nice bottle shape,.

Cheers!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 07:01:16 pm »

Dear Jo,

A beautiful bottle from the collection of a beautiful, kind lady, and now in the collection of another lady with similar attributes.
I'm saddened to hear that Mary Ann Bresee passed away last year. I did not know. She was a very fine person, and the epitome of a Southern Belle. And she always reminded me of Blanche on Golden Girls...
Best to you and David, and congratulations on a fine bottle with great provenance.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 12:33:57 am »

Jo,

Though the photos of this bottle are great (i.e., you've improved immensely!  Cheesy ), having seen this bottle in person I can honestly say your bottle is much more stunning in person.  I did not fully realize that you were looking to pick it up when we were looking at it together.  Congratulations adding this beauty to your collection.  Thanks for sharing it with us all.

Charll
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:36:37 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 08:52:17 am »

Thanks for you kind comments Joey and Charll as I do value your opinions.   Yes, I was very sad to hear this about Mary Ann. This bottle is very special to me because it was hers and also because it is beautiful.   Charll, I guess I did not communicate with you that I had made  a commitment  to buy the bottle when I showed it to you.  I was thrilled when you liked it too. 
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 03:39:54 am »

Hi Jo,

I seem to recall you having an interest in enamelled glass bottles from a previous Zacke auction so congratulations on getting one and with good provenance to boot.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 05:08:23 am »

Thanks Adrian.  You have a good memory!  The provenance of bottles is fascinating to me and adds to the enjoyment of  ownership. 
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 08:16:47 am »

Jo,

I share your sentiments about provenance adding to the enjoyment of owning snuff bottles.  The more catalogs and books I accumulate, coupled with wonderful stories shared here on the Forum, the more I'm intrigued by the owners themselves.  Congratulations on acquiring such a nice bottle.

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 10:18:35 am »

Thanks Rube!  My husband David says that the collectors are as interesting as the bottles!   I think very special people collect Snuff Bottles!!! 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: