About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 10:38:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Galerie Zacke Auction.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Galerie Zacke Auction.  (Read 1530 times)
forestman
Private Boards

« on: June 15, 2018, 01:25:06 pm »

I have hammer prices for lots 1-74 for the Galerie Zacke auction if anyone is interested. I know people have said they can't access prices on some auction sites.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 12:52:06 am »

Is anyone bidding at this Saturday's Zacke auction?
For that matter, has anyone had dealings with this auction house? Interested to know how the service is.

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 02:40:52 am »

Hi Tom,

The auction was yesterday, Friday, and I won 2 bottles so will be able to report on the service they offer at a later date.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 07:20:24 am »

Hi Adrian,

They have three auctions this Fri-Sat.
I mistakenly thought the snuff bottles were in the Sat sale. No worries, I wasn't bidding.

Look forward to hearing of your experience with them.

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 08:37:47 am »

I will be interested to hear also.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 08:44:51 am »

I watched the auction with interest but didn’t bid on anything. Many of the bottles had been from recent auctions. Some went for a lot less, and some went quite high.
Guess that’s the nature of the business.

Cheers,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 09:43:28 am »

Hi Rube,

I had forgotten that Zacke held an auction last year that had a number of bottles that had been in US auctions just prior to then appearing at the Zacke auction. So the same has happened this time. It does seem a strange practice, especially in shifting bottles from the US to Europe. I thought I recognised the Mughal style "trellis" lapis lazuli bottle from a recent auction but that was the only one and I can't remember who auctioned it or at what price but I thought it had achieved a good price.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 10:37:18 am »

Adrian,

The bottle you're referring to was purchased at the last Doyle's auction (many of the bottles were) and it sold lower this time.  So did the next plain lapis bottle, much lower, from the Bonhams Auction featuring bottles from the Golder Collection. I'm kinda sorry I didn't bid on that one.
The Ma Shaoxuan bottle sold much higher however, than the Hindman Auction where it was purchased.  It was from the Ann Neviaser collection.  Overall, I felt like the descriptions were pretty "generous" with regards to dating.  One other bottle I found interesting was the one carved from jet.

Cheers,

Rube.

Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 04:24:19 pm »

Guys,
    I thought I wrote somewhere else about my [bad] experience with Gallerie Zacke Auction in Vienna.

I bought an antique IPSB by a minor artist [Bi Rongjiu or Bai Langchen] from them in summer of 1994.
It was about US$800, and I had the funds, plus the sum quoted for packing & shipping to Ireland, sent to them that day from my family's office in Toronto. After 4 weeks, I started to nudzh them, but never got my bottle; after a few weeks of BS, they acknowledged they'd received the funds from Toronto within 4 working days of the auction. They never explained why they'd not supplied the bottle I'd purchased. Then it took me almost 8 months to get my funds back.

Good luck, Adrian...
Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 08:00:12 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 07:53:42 pm »

I would be interested to have the list of hammer prices.  I did not bid but I am interested to see what some of the bottles brought.  You can send me a message with the prices if you don't mind.  I have the catalog and would like to add the sold prices. 
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 05:28:23 am »

Received my 2 bottles from the Galerie Zacke auction today.

No problems with dealing with them other than they delay sending items off to allow for cleared funds if paid for by credit card. I paid by debit card so they had cleared funds immediately but still delayed sending the items despite them being packaged and ready to send.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 06:12:19 am »

Dear Adrian,

It is good to hear that they've cleaned up their act. I still would not deal with them,
myself ["once burned, twice shy"].
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 03:16:19 pm »

Received my 2 bottles from the Galerie Zacke auction today.

No problems with dealing with them other than they delay sending items off to allow for cleared funds if paid for by credit card. I paid by debit card so they had cleared funds immediately but still delayed sending the items despite them being packaged and ready to send.

Regards, Adrian.

Hi Adrian, this may seem an odd thing to ask but what were the post and packing charges from Zake's.

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 04:21:48 am »

Hi Jason,

Their shipping costs were very reasonable at 30 euro's and insurance of 16 euro's. Items were very well packaged as well.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 07:25:12 pm »

Those do seem like reasonable shipping prices. Good to hear. I was thinking of bidding on a few things in the upcoming auction.

Question: Given the restrictions on ivory and coral in the US, I know to avoid bottles featuring those elements for fear they might be confiscated under CITES by customs. But no auction that I noticed ever lists the spoon material, has any one had any issues getting a bottle sent to you that might have an ivory spoon? Will auction houses remove the spoons prior to shipping if there's going to be an issue?

Thanks! Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Brian – A third generation collector in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 03:11:09 am »

Dear Brian,

You need to ask the specific auction house.
Most serious dealers remove the spoon if there is a question today.
I bought a superb 18th C. B&W snuff jarlet with an original ivory snuff scoop, and a coral stopper with green-stained walrus ivory collar and 'cork', from Clare Chu. She sold it without the stopper, but I asked for and received the stopper in LA at her home, and brought it to Ireland. It would have been a crime to destroy it.

Best,
Joey
Some auctions confiscate and destroy CITES materials.
Check BEFORE, so you are not surprised afterward.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 09:55:47 pm »

You need to ask the specific auction house.
Some auctions confiscate and destroy CITES materials.
Check BEFORE, so you are not surprised afterward.

Great advice. Thanks Joey!
Report Spam   Logged

Brian – A third generation collector in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 12:15:59 pm »

I'm glad someone else can learn from my sad mistake. Cry   Roll Eyes Grin
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]