About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:13:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Beware with new fakes

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware with new fakes  (Read 737 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« on: June 13, 2018, 02:31:54 am »

Dear all,
have a look at the following bottle and make your own opinion. After that, come back here to read further:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-CHINESE-CARVED-AGATE-SNUFF-BOTTLE/323288190108?hash=item4b457a4c9c:g:JdoAAOSw-0RbFVnh
What has been your own opinion? My opinion was that the bottle is modern, but I was amazed by the quality of the carved inscription, the hollowing that looks that of the old bottles, just perfect. While the shape is nice and looks that of old bottles but not really convincing.
So to me modern, but with a very faint strange feeling like “…and if it is a real one?”. “No, it isn’t” has been my last conclusion.
Then I had a look at the other items on sale by the same seller, which is always a very instructive practice: four bottles, all carved in agate. If one was open for a small chance, it is gone I think.
The reason for posting this is to alert to the progressive, dangerous quality of the new fakes.  Note even the detail of the detached spoon, often found on old bottles.
What really they can't reproduce is the surface wear, which in fact is totally absent here.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 04:01:31 am »

Dear Giovanni,

These bottles were sold at Chiswick Auctions recently which is the auction at which I bought 8 bottles, 3 of which I have posted.

I was interested in them as they are of good quality but, like you, I thought they looked modern and there were 5 in the lot, all now for sale from the same seller, which was more than I wanted.

The auction had bottles from two collections as well as a few other bottles and these bottles were not from the collections. The lot was described as 19/20th Century and had the 3 incised agates, a plain agate and an IP bottle which was relatively modern. They were sold at above estimate for what was not a high estimate.

Regards, Adrian
Report Spam   Logged

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 07:27:32 am »

Dear Giovanni,

I also noticed these bottles. My thinking was also they had to be modern and like you the similarities between several other bottles he was selling confirmed it for me (though now Adrian mentioned they were for sale in the Chiswick auction). Very nice stoppers though! Was considering putting in a bid just for one of the stoppers, but the bids have already gone too high for me to bid just for a stopper... I agree it is scary some of bottles that are coming onto the market making it harder and harder to collect authentic examples... I'm very interested to see how high these bottles may go for!

Best,
Luke
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 02:05:17 pm »

Dear Adrian,
that interesting. It seems that who bought the lot decided to resell it. Or may be the lot was not sold and the original owner is trying to sell on eBay.
Anyway there is no doubt that the description is not correct, these bottles are not 100 years old.
Kind regards
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:17:07 pm »

Giovanni,

I'm glad that you posted this bottle as an object lesson on what is being manufactured today.  I agree that technology is making it extremely difficult to tell old from new.  Rather scary, actually!

Adrian or Luke, do you have pics of the other bottles you're referring to?  I only see the one agate.

Cheers,

Rube.

Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 03:28:02 am »

Hi Rube,

Click on Giovanni's link to ebay and look at the sellers other items.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 05:27:35 am »

When I saw these a few days ago I thought new, they just have that look about them, but then why the nice stoppers? When I see a group so similar it always rings alarm bells. But hey what do I know, They could have come from a collector who liked a certain style of bottle, I know I collect specific styles of bottles.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 12:09:27 pm »

I don't thjink so. Some shapes are good, some are completely off for old bottles. And all them are alcking any sign of wear.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 02:19:26 am »

I don't thjink so. Some shapes are good, some are completely off for old bottles. And all them are alcking any sign of wear.
Kind regards
Giovanni

[I/quote] I agree 100% no sign of wear at all.

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 06:58:14 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

Definitely modern. I agree.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]