About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 19, 2024, 01:52:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Hello from Wales

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Wales  (Read 916 times)
thomasthomas

« on: May 19, 2018, 06:13:30 am »

Hello, I'm Thomas from Wales. I just discovered this art when my father bought an medicine/ table top inside painted bottle. What a beautiful and skillful art this is!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kaja

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 07:53:24 am »

Welcome to the forum. You will find this wonderful discussion forum a wealth of information.  I am in North Central Texas, and have been collecting for nearly two years.  If you are not collecting yet, watch out. You will, and it is addictive.

kaja
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 11:23:25 am »

Dear Thomas,

Now I'm happy to welcome you to the Forum. Where do you live in Wales?
I have friends in Newport, and indeed, one of them, Vaughan, was on the Forum for a while!
I live in Jerusalem Israel most of the year, but have a summer place in County Wexford Ireland.

How old are you, and have you got any books on snuff bottles yet?
If you get to London, there are snuff bottles on display in the British Museum and in the Victoria and Albert Museum. I am not sure if there are any on display in Wales, but believe there are some on display in Manchester.
There are also snuff bottles for sale in London, and examples can be found all over the UK.

Good Luck,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 02:34:15 pm »

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the forum. I’m from the Boston, Massachusetts area.  Glad to have you aboard. The forum is full of great people who gladly share so much valuable information on snuff bottles. Enjoy!

Best regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 03:31:13 am »

Hi Thomas,

There is another member, Jason (Jungle Jas) who is from Wales, North Wales I think.

I'm from the New Forest and we have Luke from London who posts every now and then. If there are other UK members they keep quiet which is a shame as anyone is welcome no matter the level of knowledge or quality of their collection. We all start somewhere and I took over the Friday Fun Bottle thread for some time with my sub standard bottles.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 04:42:30 am »

Dear Thomas, Adrian, Luke, Paul, Vaughan,

Please check out the message I posted re.Liverpool, 14-16.June.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 10:10:27 am »

Hi Thomas,

I am Inn-Bok Ooi , a Singaporean Chinese collector .

You reminded of a trip I made in Wales with my family in 1999 when my son graduated in England. I drove from Chester down to Cardiff and Swansea. Quite a relaxing journey.

Welcome on board !

Regards,

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 03:55:03 am »

Hi Thomas,

Welcome aboard from me too. I live in Bangkok. This forum is the best place to learn all you need to know about snuff bottles.

All best,
Tom
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 02:01:33 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Jungle Jas

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 01:56:50 am »

Hi Thomas,

Welcome, which bit of Wales are you from? I live on the Mawddach Estuary.

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
thomasthomas

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 07:00:12 am »

Hello Kaja, Joey, Toni-Lee, Adrian, Inn-Bok, Tom and Jason!

I am sorry I am only getting to this thread now, I thought I would be notified of replies but I didn't see anything. (I just spotted the tick box for notifications).

I am in Deeside, North Wales, just up the river from Chester. You will be dangerously close to my home turf if you are visiting the Lady Lever. I should take this opportunity to play the ambassador and promote some Welsh tourism!

I lived in Chester myself for a time, but I didn't want to stay too long, an old law permits various acts of capital punishment against any Welshman found within it’s walled city after dark. 

So if you do find yourself in Chester, carry on to Wales, retrace the steps of 19c American writer Elbert Hubbard and take a journey to the home of a great man, William Ewart Gladstone, the only British Prime Minister to serve four separate terms. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12933/12933-h/12933-h.htm#WILLIAM_E_GLADSTONE

As the aloe is said to flower only once in a hundred years, so it seems to be but once in a thousand years that Nature blossoms into this unrivaled product and produces such a man as we have here.
—Gladstone, "Lecture on Homer"

Old Hawarden castle, on the Gladstone estate. Here Gladstone would retreat from the hassles of Westminster, and release his political frustrations by chopping down trees with one his nine axes, but not before giving them a fair trial of course! Once such trial is described by Alfred Lord Tennyson, who was invited to play the role of judge on one occasion. Gladstone argued for the prosecution, and his son argued for the defense.

If you have time to stay, then I highly recommend Gladstone’s Library (where I am pleased to call myself a member) “a residential library and meeting place which is dedicated to dialogue, debate and learning for open-minded individuals and groups, who are looking to explore pressing questions and to pursue study and research in an age of distraction and easy solutions.”   It’s a beautiful place, originally built to house Gladstone’s personal collection of 20,000 books, most of which contain his personal notes.
https://www.gladstoneslibrary.org/contact/about-the-library

If ruined castles are more your thing then Ewloe Castle is just a mile up the road from Hawarden. Construction of the traditional Welsh motte-and-bailey castle was started by Llewellyn the Great, in the 12th century, and continued into the 13th century until the reign of Prince Rhys of Dinevor. Before it could be completed, however, Prince Rhys was captured by Henry II. According to Gerald The Welshman, Henry II, having defeated the Prince of Wales in battle, sent a scout to survey Wales. King Henry wanted to know what value this land may be to his Kingdom. The scout hired a Welsh priest to be his guide, and directed the priest to show him the quickest path to Rhys's castle. The priest however was secretly loyal to Wales, and instead of showing him the easiest route, he took him on the most treacherous journey he could invent. The group zigzagged across rocky, snow-capped mountain ranges, and waded across ferocious rivers. They crossed boggy marshes and vast barren moorland. Each time they passed through a meadow, the priest would stoop and grab clumps of grass, stuffing them eagerly into his mouth. The scout, puzzled by this asked the priest to explain. The priest replied that Wales had suffered many famines and blights in its ancient history, and so, over time, it's people had become accustomed to feeding on grass or anything else to survive. Horrified at this, the scout gave up his journey and rushed home to report his findings to the King. Wales was a barren rocky wasteland, and its people lived like animals in the field. And so the King left Wales alone for a long time. Ewloe castle was never finished, and gradually fell to ruin, but the woodland, the natural moat and waterfall make a nice subject for painting!

If you enjoy the pictures I have started an album here https://photos.app.goo.gl/PoiXomBaHFzbqnPR2

So do come and visit but beware of priests offering guided tours.

Kind Regards
Thomas

* Wales.png (668.46 KB, 485x575 - viewed 42 times.)

* river-dee-chester.png (301.94 KB, 680x169 - viewed 43 times.)

* GladstoneEstateHawarden.jpg (171.96 KB, 755x282 - viewed 37 times.)

* EwloePainting.jpg (165.55 KB, 581x236 - viewed 43 times.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 08:26:13 am by thomasthomas » Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 04:19:20 pm »

Dear Thomas,

Interesting material. I must go to Ireland on Sun.17.June or I'd explore a few days.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 11:00:55 pm »

Thomas,

Thanks for the tour of North Wales! I had no idea about that old law in Chester.  Shocked

Al best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

thomasthomas

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 01:44:54 pm »

Thomas,

Thanks for the tour of North Wales! I had no idea about that old law in Chester.  Shocked

Al best,
Tom
By order of Henry V, but only with a bow and arrow. So not technically a law and certainly superseded by English laws on murder, but try telling that to a drunken Cestrian after midnight! https://web.archive.org/web/20100702063002/https://www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/visiting/heritage/chester_history_and_heritage/history_facts.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 12:22:22 am »

Dear Thomas,

Sorry for being late in joining the others to give you a warm welcome! Thanks for giving us a nice intro about your home Wales. Haven’t been there before but now looking forward to it one day after seeing your pics.

By the way, I’m a amateur collector from Hong Kong.

Welcome to our forum and I hope you’ll enjoy your experience here!

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 03:37:18 am »

Dear Samson,

We are almost all 'amateur' collectors! I know I am.
You could call yourself 'a recent, but enthusiastic collector'.
I call myself 'a veteran but enthusiastic collector'.  Roll Eyes Grin
Thomas is still a newbie... Grin
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: