About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 19, 2024, 02:08:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Blue glass inside painted table top snuff bottle. Eight Immortals motif

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue glass inside painted table top snuff bottle. Eight Immortals motif  (Read 1144 times)
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 10:34:40 am »

Hi Thomas,

Two points re. your bottle :

1. The artist wrote that he painted it in the year of " 丙午 ” which could be 1906 or 1966.
2. He did not signed off but wrote " 仿长白老人笔 " meaning " after the style of some artist whose pen-name was " 长白老人 " ( the old man of Zhangbai Mountain ).

Inn Bok
Singapore

Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 02:04:21 pm »

Dear Inn,

Thank you for pointing out, And yes, I was wrong on the artist.

Thanks!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

thomasthomas

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 11:38:19 am »

Hello everyone

Thank you all for your input, and apologies for not responding sooner, I have been AFK for a while, bu thanks to Joey I have had a couple of great books to look over while I was away  Smiley.

I must say that when I first got a look at the bottle I just took some quick photos and then studied those photos.  So my comment about the painting being crude was coming from looking at super enlarged photos on a big screen. Having now spent a little more time handling the bottle, I think I was overly critical. With the naked eye I can barely discern those "imperfections" in the painting. In fact I was quite stunned at the perfectly straight parallel lines in that lady's dress. They don't appear so straight in the photos, probably because the photos themselves are crooked. I will try and do better next time.

I have only had chance to scan this thread briefly and I can see that there is much for me to take in and respond to. So I will be back shortly with more questions no doubt, and I also have some better photos to add.

In the meantime, here is a photo of the other side of the bottle which I neglected to post earlier. Can you see a goldfish or two in there? Or am I experiencing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PareidoliaCheesy Shocked Roll Eyes

* IMG_2320.jpg (125.87 KB, 212x858 - viewed 23 times.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:08:26 pm by thomasthomas » Report Spam   Logged
thomasthomas

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 02:44:08 pm »

Hi Thomas,

Two points re. your bottle :

1. The artist wrote that he painted it in the year of " 丙午 ” which could be 1906 or 1966.
2. He did not signed off but wrote " 仿长白老人笔 " meaning " after the style of some artist whose pen-name was " 长白老人 " ( the old man of Zhangbai Mountain ).

Inn Bok
Singapore

Thank you very much Inn Bok, this is great!
Can I assume, with it being painted by bamboo, that it must be 1906?

Thomas,
Tropical Wales Cool
Report Spam   Logged
thomasthomas

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 01:38:49 pm »

I thought it would be interesting to compare these three. The first is attributed to Bi Rongjiu and the second is unknown.

* Bi Rongjiu snuff bottles.jpg (263.83 KB, 766x527 - viewed 24 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: