About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:57:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Lime green flattened octagonal bottle.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Lime green flattened octagonal bottle.  (Read 1574 times)
forestman
Private Boards

« on: March 15, 2018, 11:08:28 am »

Sharing a recent addition to my collection.

This lime green colour is not a common one and the shape, almost a flattened spade shape, is not common in octagonal bottles either but, to me, very appealing. 54mm high and showing signs of wear. 1750-1860 ?

The flattened bottle shape seems to be thought of as mid Qianlong onwards which is also around when this colour was thought to date from with early examples carved from solid blocks of glass while this one has been blown and then handed to a lapidary for final shaping and polishing.

Regards, Adrian.

* P3150842.jpg (115.35 KB, 673x710 - viewed 57 times.)

* P3150843.jpg (72.15 KB, 449x710 - viewed 61 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:21:50 am »

Dear Adrian, you have a special eye for catching glass bottles, congratulations!
Very nice bottle.
While I can't date it, I must say that the more time passes and the more I am believing that glass bottles carved from a solid block is a tale.
Well, I have exaggerated a bit; I can't say that they do not exist, but for sure to me they are much much rarer than what is commonly believed.
Kind regards. Nice bottle!
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 12:41:31 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

I would say you are right in that bottles carved from solid blocks of glass are somewhat rare.

When I have time I will look through the Treasury books and see if I can find any examples for you.

I still maintain that my "The colour of snow you mustn't eat bottle" is carved and if I ever sign myself up for a glassblowing course I will take it along with me to check if I am right.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 01:03:55 pm »

Adrian,
Nice bottle! I like the color. Dumb question, but does spade shape refer to a taper along a bottle’s edge? I always thought it meant a taper from top to bottom along faces, like a shield shape?
Cheers,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

SBNut

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 01:44:08 pm »

Adrian,

Very nice bottle, I like the unique colour. You have quite a few of these glass bottles in your collection that I've seen you upload (if I'm not mistaken), where do you come across such a selection? I have a very hard time finding bottles let alone these octagonal ones from the Qianlong period! I am lime green with envy  Tongue

~Daniel
Report Spam   Logged
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 03:05:52 pm »

Hi Rube,

I would say a spade shape seems to me to narrow towards the base looking face on but they tend to narrow towards the base when looking side on as well. Spade shaped may not have been the most accurate description I could have given but my picture doesn't really show how it narrows towards the base from a side view!

Regards, Adrian.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:07:50 pm by forestman » Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 03:10:40 pm »

Hi Brian,

Glass bottles are a favourite of mine, probably because I think I can recognise good ones easier than I can in other materials.

I could tell you where I find them but I would have to kill you straight after  Grin

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 03:41:44 pm »

Adrian,

I agree the color appears to be of an older vintage to me as well.  I also agree that the bottle was blown, for the throat of the bottle appears to have been drilled.  This would have been needed when bottle after shaping was separated from the rod, for the top of the bottle I suspect was attached to a blow pipe.  Given this method, I would also suspect that the bottle was blown into a mold, then handed off for finishing.  It sure appears (as can be judged here from the photos) to be an older, high quality, bottle as well.

Given the amount of observed bubbles in the glass with is what makes me think it was blown into a mold.  High quality glass cakes or blocks tend to have little to no bubbles. That is what made them so attractive for use in imitating other stones.  Also, if your bottle saw much carving work after the general shaping, the finisher would have needed to go to great effort not to leave any bubble 'pocks' along the surface of the finished bottle.

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I been asking some of the same questions as to glass bottles and their development.

Charll   

Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 04:35:50 pm »

Dear Adrian,

First, a beautiful bottle, and I'd agree as to its dating.

However, it is DEFINITELY NOT a spade-shaped bottle. It must look spade-shaped from the frontal view,to be spade-shaped.
   To describe the  side view correctly, say its width narrows from the neck or shoulder towards the base.
Best,
Joey

Hi Rube,

I would say a spade shape seems to me to narrow towards the base looking face on but they tend to narrow towards the base when looking side on as well. Spade shaped may not have been the most accurate description I could have given but my picture doesn't really show how it narrows towards the base from a side view!

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

ileney

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 10:03:04 pm »

What an amazing shape! I love it.
Report Spam   Logged

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 09:25:28 am »

Congrats Adrian, very nice bottle Grin Never seen that shade of green on a new one.. I’ve got a new bottle coming - nothing special but I’ll post it here when it arrives. Was bidding on the recent bonhams auctions but got outbid on the 3 bottles I was interested in. Kind of glad I lost as with customs and shipping it would have got very expensive. Perhaps best to wait for London auctions..
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 10:05:22 am »

Hi Luke,

Thanks to you, and all the others, for the comments. Looking forward to seeing your bottle as it has been a bit quieter on here recently.

I was registered for yesterdays Doyle's auction but forgot when it started because of the time difference and being busy but wasn't to concerned when I saw the prices realised as I wouldn't have won any lots.

I bought 3 lots from ebay from Richard Woods Fine Arts in the US and now find they won't combine postage costs so 5 snuff bottles are costing $150 to ship to me plus a £8.50 customs handling charge (possibly £25.50 if they come in 3 packages) and 20% import duty. The price I paid for the bottles has far more than doubled when all costs are included  Cry

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 10:54:35 am »

Adrian,
Is Richard Woods out of Texas?
Luke,
The same thing happened to me but came out with a few.
Cheers,
Rube
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:56:11 am by Rube » Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 01:06:38 pm »

Hi Rube,

Yes, from Texas.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 02:01:49 pm »

Hi Adrian,

darn, that sounds rather mean of then. Most sellers I’ve asked for combined postage it’s usally not a problem. Yeah, I’ve noticed or maybe it’s just perceptions that a lot of stunning SBs go in the American auctions and not so much in the UK - annoying though with the extra costs’

I’ll certainly post that bottle when it arrives. I’d appreciate some advice on this one Smiley

Hey Rube,

Which ones did you buy? Or will you post them at a future date?

I wanted this, but was quickly outbid as the estimate was low imo:
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24819/lot/8023/

And a blue and white which went too high for what I thought it was worth, but kind of regretting now. Always another auction and always another bottle  Grin

Best
Luke
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:13:18 pm by pookles » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 05:21:11 pm »

Hi Adrian,
that is not tolerable. What you bought are very small items, not fridges. The seller can’t refuse to combine postage; it is your right to not pay him and let him to keep his bottles.
That is absurd. I am convinced that ebay will be on your side if you will refuse to pay.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 06:26:45 pm »

Adrian,

Have you ever bought from them before?  Or followed any of their auctions?

Luke,

I did not buy that beautiful jade, but I know WHO did!!!

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 12:29:34 am »

I did not buy that beautiful jade, but I know WHO did!!!

Hi Rube,
I can guess who....!   Wink

Adrian,
I agree with Giovanni. It is unreasonable for the vendor not to offer combined postage. You would be within your rights to pull out of the deal.

Best,
Tom
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:33:38 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 06:50:20 am »

Guys, I did NOT buy that Jade! [Sounds like a certain US Prez, "I did NOT have sex with that woman!" But I REALLY didn't...  Roll Eyes  Grin]

Though I wish I could have. A friend from the Forum was bidding, and although I already have 2, rated '8 / 3*' and '9 / 3*' [by Clare & Michael Chu, a month ago],
I'd have loved to get it.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 09:12:24 am »

Ok.... I own up.... it’s me... Cheesy

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。