About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 01:42:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Mu Peng?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mu Peng?  (Read 1870 times)
Rube
Private Boards

« on: February 23, 2018, 09:25:39 am »

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to share a bottle I purchased recently.  I recognize the artist as Mu Peng, I think, thanks to Bill Patrick's site, as there is a very similar bottle in his catalog.  I was drawn to the crispness of the vessels adorning the bottle, as well as the calligraphy. 

Can anybody translate the bottle for me, date it, as well as identify the subjects?
As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Rube.

* Mu Peng 2.jpg (77.55 KB, 480x640 - viewed 74 times.)

* Mu Peng 3.jpg (76.49 KB, 480x640 - viewed 76 times.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:43:25 am by Rube » Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:29:59 pm »

Dear Rube,
it seems to me that there is no date in the inscription, but our Chinese speaking friends will be more precise on this.
The side shown in the first image is representing a 18th century vase, looking by the general shape and motif, although it is not clear of what type, because of the strange red ground and the decoration in relief.
Instead, on the other side there is a fine, and sought-after Tang style Sancai water pot.
Nice looking bottle!
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 06:52:03 pm »

Giovanni,
Thanks for your response! I like the bottle too, it’s unlike anything else I have. The still life quality and calligraphy appeals to me. When I first saw it, I knew I’d seen something like it before. So, I scoured Bill Patrick’s website, and came across the exact bottle by Mu Peng, only to find that the signatures don’t match. No matter, I still like it! Apparently, this signature says Mo Shi and it was painted during the year of the water rat (1972) which is impossible. So, I’m guessing this bottle was paying homage to somebody else’s work? Thanks Pin for helping with the translation.
Cheers,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 11:57:51 am »

Hi Rube,

Wang Xisan painted a series of bottles of "Sagacious Monarchs of Chinese Dynasties and National Treasures" with different Emperors on each bottle and on the reverse of each bottle a national treasure that was representative of each Emperors reign, for instance a censor, a ewer, a bronze statue etc. Before he painted that series he had painted others with items from the Shanghai museum, one at least finished off by Wang Guanyu.

I have 2 bottles that I have posted on here that were painted by Lu Yanhong with similar subjects which I love.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 12:50:41 pm »

Adrian,
I saw some of those bottles posted in A New Look... I love the theme.  One thing I like about Snuffbottlecollector.com site is the artist write ups from I’m guessing CIPMA. I like tracing an artist back and seeing influences from their masters and teachers. Wang Xisan did this style,like youre referring to, then his student Ai Qi, among others, then Mu Peng who studied under him. I can only guess Mo Shi is a student of Mu Peng, because the year of the water rat was 1972, and that happens to also be the year Mu Peng was born. The guy I bought this bottle from said he bought it in China around 20 years ago. Can you tell me which thread shows some of those bottles you posted? I think my favorite is the one Wang Xisan did with all the painted snuff bottles!
Cheers,
Rube
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:59:20 pm by Rube » Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 02:52:05 am »

Hi Rube,

It's in this section.

2 x Lu Yanhong bottles from Bill

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 04:56:18 am »

Dear Adrian,
your native language is English, right? I must also say that in my not competent opinion (my poor English is self-learned) I always noted your particular use of the language, which denotes a high level of culture, I think.
Now, can you explain what is a mystery to me? I always noted how many native English speakers do say “censor” in place of “censer”. Why that?
It is absolutely strange; a censor is a censor, a censer is a censer. There must be a reason, because it is a very, very common mistake.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 07:47:19 am »

Adrian,

Those detailed bottles are wonderful!  I would have piggybacked onto your thread yet again, had I noticed it.  It's interesting to note that you and I share some of the same taste in bottles, as I learned from your thread you also bought a bottle from Jin Huijie.  I like her work as well!  Last year when I first found this Forum and Bill's site, I came across some of her bottles which I thought were for sale, but had already been sold.  Probably to you!

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 12:34:55 pm »

Dear Adrian,

A censer is a vessel, sometimes covered, in which incense is burned, often as part of a religious ceremony.

A censor is someone who checks material and suppresses whatever is offensive to the mores of the community, etc.

You might want to correct the spelling of the censer you describe in your post.
Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:58:40 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 01:01:39 pm »

Joey,

I never mentioned the word censor or censer, I think it was Adrian.

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 03:02:08 am »

Dear Joey and Giovanni,

I see my incorrect spelling of censer has been censored  Grin

Nothing gets past you too.

Regards, Adrian
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 03:08:57 am »

Hi Rube,

It was only the one Jin Huijie that I bought and I don't like it as much as the Lu Yanhong bottles.

I would like to find a Zhang Ren Jie who painted from a series of Goddess paintings that I have in two Su embroideries.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 05:27:14 am »

Dear Joey and Giovanni,

Regards, Adrian

Or the two of us, either.  Roll Eyes Grin Joey
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:58:17 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 08:12:37 am »

Adrian,
I’m not familiar with that particular artist, but good luck in your quest!

Cheers,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 11:32:32 am »

Dear Adrian: “I see my incorrect spelling of censer has been censored”. Absolutely brilliant! Just to confirm the opinion I have of you.
BTW, what amaze me is the fact that it is a so common mistake. Yesterday I did a search in Goteborg’s posts. Censers has been mentioned more than 200 times. Among them about one third has been called “censor”.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 09:57:19 pm »

Dear Joey and Giovanni,

Regards, Adrian

This is very strange indeed... It is not among the words I picked to be censored.. 

A mystery Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 08:59:18 am »

Dear Rube,

Your inside painted bottle was by the artist with the pseudo-name Mo Shi 墨石 (Mo=black, Shi=stone) and he painted it in the province of Hebei which borders Beijing. The year of painting as written was Ren Zi (壬子) which is 1972. One side was painted the Qing Kangsi Style vase with lotus flower/twigs motifs, and the other side a Tang Sanacai waterpot.

Peter Bentley can shed light on the background of the artist.

Regards,
Inn Bok

Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 10:37:23 am »

Inn Bok,

Thank you so much for the translation, and with the help identifying the objects.  I was drawn to it because of the water pot, which I think compliments my gourd bottle.  Am I correctly assuming that this bottle was not painted in 1972, even though that is what is written? And, that it is more contemporary than that?

Peter,
Are you familiar with this artist, who I incorrectly identified as Mu Peng?

Cheers,
Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 06:45:46 pm »

Dear Rube,

'Compliments' or 'complements' your bottle?  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin
After I wrecked a tank during tank training in the IDF [Israeli Army], they sent me to teach English to IDF officers!  Roll Eyes Wink
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 09:06:49 pm »

Oops Shocked
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:34:05 pm by Rube » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print