About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 19, 2024, 12:36:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Large enamel-painted glass bottle

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Large enamel-painted glass bottle  (Read 2035 times)
albert

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 05:25:14 am »

Dear Joey and Tom,

As you know I'm not an expert in snuff bottles and Idon't know nothing about the mark's, I'm only basing my opinion in the shape, size, painting style and my remembers of a very similar modern snuff bottles. But I'm sury that I saw an very similar bottle made by a moder artist.

I'm going to continue looking for it during the following weeks.

Best,
Albert.
Report Spam   Logged
albert

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 05:37:43 am »

Today's similar bottles!

Best,
Albert.

Report Spam   Logged
Mat
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 09:33:07 am »

Just out of interest, what is the upper character in the left column off Inn Bok's bottle? It is different from the usual "乾隆年制"?
Regards,
Matthias
Report Spam   Logged
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 09:35:01 am »

Dear Joey, Tom B, etc,

I have to ask myself why the incising of the pattern around the neck is sloppily done when the best craftsmen were available if it was genuine. A key fret design is simple compared to most of the working of overlays and stone bottles that were done back in the day.

A query about the incised marks is would they be overfilled with enamel and then have the excess polished away to leave a smooth surface which is what it looks like if I look at genuine incised and filled marks. If Inn Bok's mark is incised and filled it looks to be slightly uneven.  

I have examples of raised marks and, possibly, infilled marks on modern bottles.

Regards, Adrian.

* P2180837.jpg (132.54 KB, 688x710 - viewed 51 times.)

* P2180839.jpg (88.64 KB, 710x590 - viewed 52 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 03:20:06 pm »

Dear Mat,

The mark is 'Qianlong YUzhi'   Yuzhi means "By Imperial Command".
Serious mark, if genuine.
Joey

Just out of interest, what is the upper character in the left column off Inn Bok's bottle? It is different from the usual "乾隆年制"?
Regards,
Matthias
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 03:22:21 pm »

Dear Albert,

Yes the last bottles you posted do seem to have the same type of mark as Inn Bok's bottle.
I was so hoping it was genuine.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Mat
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 08:38:42 am »

Dear Mat,

The mark is 'Qianlong YUzhi'   Yuzhi means "By Imperial Command".
Serious mark, if genuine.
Dear Joey, thank you for the information.
Regards,
Matthias
Report Spam   Logged
albert

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 10:24:27 am »

Dear Albert,

Yes the last bottles you posted do seem to have the same type of mark as Inn Bok's bottle.
I was so hoping it was genuine.
Best,
Joey
Dear Joey and others,

It is a pleasure to be able to contribute knowledge and to be able to learn from expert people.

Best,
Albert.
Report Spam   Logged
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 10:39:50 am »

Dear all,

It has been a fairly busy time for me as my family prepared and celebrated the Chinese Lunar New Year of Dog.
By the way, we are just into the 5th day of the 15-day Chinese New Year. Some Chinese who observe the tradition would be welcoming the God of Fortune today  Cheesy Cheesy

Back to the bottle I posted. Indeed, the seal mark at the base of my large enamelled bottle was NOT incised and filled. So according SB experts, it would not be of the Qianlong period and definitely not ' by the imperial command ' of the Emperor !

Actually, Joey, is it the general conclusive views of SB experts that only glass bottles with incised+filled marks are of the Qianlong period ?

For me, I bought this large enamelled on glass bottle for the following reasons :
1. It was aestatically appealing to me when I first saw it standing on the shelf in that antique shop in Singapore.
    The contrasts of the enamel colors and the amber color glass were just lovely to my eyes,
2. The execution of the enamel paintwork on the glass surface was well done to me. They had that feeling of
    'softness' and 'fluidity'. Some of the enamel-on-glass bottles I have seen appear stiff and lifeless,
3. The application of the multi-color enamel, from light to darker tone, was well executed, considering the firing
    process that would follow,
4. My assumption that the bottle of 10cm was not meant to be carried about, but to be placed on table top for
    storing larger quantity of powder which would be transferred to the more petit bottles in the owner's palm.

I think the bottle was mould blown and then faceted to the 8-sided panels.

Regards,

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 03:16:56 pm »

Dear Inn Bok,

Happy Year of the Dog!
Yes, it is almost unanimously agreed that only incised and filled marks are genuine Imperial wares, but there are genuine bottles with painted on and fired marks.
But they are painted on in a very thin wash and are not raised at all. In fact they are very hard to feel, if not impossible.
Please remember that I am talking about glass bottles. NOT enameled porcelain or enameled metal bottles.
Best,
Joey

If a mark feels raised when touched, it needs to be incised and filled to be prior to
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 11:43:42 pm »

Thanks Joey for your comments and information.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 11:45:23 pm »

Dear all,

I forgot to add one more reason for acquiring the large bottle.

I have a soft spot for double-gourd shaped bottles !!

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Mat
Private Boards

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 02:53:11 am »

Dear Inn Bok, as you like double gourd bottles, here is one I have, not the same quality as yours, but I like the landscape. It is dated 1996 (or 1936, but I do not think so). Size is 10 cm.
Regards,
Matthias

* V1.jpg (141.8 KB, 770x1134 - viewed 46 times.)

* V3.jpg (130.51 KB, 669x1134 - viewed 38 times.)

* V4.jpg (133.78 KB, 988x1134 - viewed 44 times.)

* V5.jpg (147.7 KB, 1110x1134 - viewed 46 times.)

* V6.jpg (111.87 KB, 1150x757 - viewed 40 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: