About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 01:05:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Booted by the ICSBS

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Booted by the ICSBS  (Read 3518 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2017, 01:20:56 pm »

Dear Charll,

I have been going to ICSBS conventions since 1978 in HK, and till the mid-1990s, we  usually used to need 4 to 6 50-seat buses to accommodate the crowd. It usually included spouses, though not a lot of children; but so have all - we had 81 attendees in London, and there were quite a number who were spouses. In some cases both halves of a couple are seriously into collecting SBs; in many cases, not. And then they attend just the social parts.

There also used to be 20-30 dealers, each of whom had at least 2-3 more in his 'entourage'. YF Yang, CK Liang, CF Liang, Yeung Po Ying, Mr. Yeung, Mr. Young, Peter Lee, and at least 3 more HK dealers used to attend every convention, all of whom [except Peter Lee], were related and were Hui Moslems. So I always had at least 2 tables with 'no pork/no shellfish/no blood', to sit at. The dealers did not pay for all their 'staff' to attend the convention; but at least 2 were registered for each dealer.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Private Boards

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2017, 01:26:10 pm »

Dear Peter,

Your argument re. reduced numbers NOT being due to the high cost of :
1. air travel from USA
2. accommodations in London
3. registration at the convention

because the UK£ is 'down' compared to the Euro & especially the USD [what about the CAD?], is false, because, whatever you say to the contrary, I asked at least 20 friends who usually attend the conventions, and they all said the high cost deterred them from attending.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2017, 01:28:38 pm »

Dear Tom,

The ICSBS is having exactly the same problem you described with the Siam Society.
And at least the Siam Society has the advantage of being geographically centred.
The ICSBS is spread out all over the world.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2017, 09:36:51 pm »

Dear Joey,

That is indeed a pity. Without new and younger members any society's long-term survival is on rocky ground.

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2017, 09:10:19 am »

Tom and Joey,
Unfortunately, this seems to be a trend with civic societies as well. Everyone seems to be too busy.
Happy holidays,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Private Boards

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2017, 09:59:16 am »

Dear Rube,

Two points I'd like to contest:
1. My big brother, who is much busier and much more efficient than me [I'm lazy; ask anyone who knows me  Roll Eyes Shocked Cheesy], says that if you need something done ask a busy person. There are people who get things done, and who find the time, when it is important enough to them.
2. The phrase, "Happy Holidays". While I know that you had no such intention, it offends me, because it denigrates genuine Faith-based Holidays.
I'm not offended by "Happy Hanuka" [of course! Wink], but also not by "Merry Christmas", "Joyoux Noel", "Buon Natale", "Eftihismena Christougenna", "Feliz Navidad", "Frohe Weihnachten", "Mele Kalikimaka" [Hawaiian], or "Nollaig Shona Dhuit" [from Ireland]. They acknowledge a genuine Faith-based Holiday [from "Holy Day"]. 

Over the last 50 years, anti-Faith secularists from the Left pseudo-'liberal' side of the spectrum, have been systematically trying to tear down Faith-based social connections. I'm not offended by Nativity Creches in public places [which is good, since I just bought 4, handmade by a friend, a Florentine artist. They all went to Ireland, in memory of friends, and are on public display in assorted locations in County Wexford].

Because just as I have a right to be open about my Faith, others have the same right, as long as they don't try to murder me for not following their Faith or for being Homosexual, or Jewish, or Israeli [a subtle reference to "The Religion of Peace", whose followers will murder you if you accuse them of violence].

We people of Faith [and those without Faith, who are treated respectfully by most people of Faith], need to publicly affirm each other's and our own, right to openly name our Faiths.

So, I will happily wish you Merry Christmas, and receive from you  your blessings of your Holy Day, and hope I've not offended with this possibly overlong explanation. If you'd like a more lucid and clear explanation, check out Dennis Prager on Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays.

G-D Bless,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2017, 02:31:38 pm »

Joey,
Sorry that I offended you with generic salutation...

Regarding membership to civic organizations,
it’s a fact, less younger people are getting involved. (At least in my old hometown.) Their cop out answer is, “I’m too busy.” I’m not going to debate what that really means.  I agree with your older brother, you just have to find those driven individuals, which are hard to come by.

Cheers,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2017, 04:32:36 pm »

Dear Rube,

I wasn't really offended, but want to support Faith-based Holidays, because I'm not offended by people connecting with their roots and Faith.
And I know that most people are trying to be 'inclusive', but they should not be offended by others' particularism.

But there are those with an agenda to dismiss Faith-based culture, and THAT offends me.

I spent the winters in Hawaii from 1989 to 2000 [except 1997, when I was in mourning for my dear father of blessed memory], and every year I spent
Christmas day as a volunteer for 8 hrs. in The Queen's Medical Centre in Honolulu, to free up a Christian volunteer who could then spend the Holiday with their family. It was organised by the Synagogue I attended.

So, Merry Christmas to you, and to all who celebrate it,
And my sincere apologies if you felt offended.
G-D Bless,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2017, 05:00:27 pm »

Hi Joey,

I really appreciate your feelings on faith-based holidays. In this day and age of "politically correct" statements, I feel in the minority when I buck the system and wish everyone a  "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays".  I do so with the spirit of an open heart, and desire to "include" everyone, no matter their faith, to the joyous celebration of my faith-based holiday.

I wish you, your family and friends a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and extend the same warm wishes to all on the the forum.

Best wishes,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Private Boards

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2017, 06:05:42 pm »

Dear Toni-Lee,

As believing Jews, my family, most friends in Israel, and I, don't celebrate Christmas in any way shape or form, except for eating Chinese food on Christmas Eve [a Jewish joke - it used to be the only type of restaurant open.
For a really funny short (17 min.) video, check out Yingl Belz from YidLife Crisis. It's in Yiddish with English subtitles.].

But I'm definitely not offended, just as I trust that nobody was offended when I wished people 'Happy Hanuka', though I seriously doubt that my non-Jewish friends were lighting the Hanuka candles, playing with a dreidel or eating latkes [potato & onion pancakes for anyone who doesn't know. Jewish soul food, though only since the 15th C. - we had no potatoes till after 1492 at the earliest...].

Faith is a good thing, as Martha Stewart would say. 

So, Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night [it's after 2:00am here in Jerusalem, Israel and nothing is stirring, not even a mouse.  Roll Eyes]. Or morning, in East Asia (Thailand, Singapore and Hong Kong).

By the way, check out Dennis Prager's PragerU take on Faith and holidays.
I think you'll appreciate it. Don't give up the good fight.
   And May G-D Bless us all and one,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2017, 06:44:42 pm »

Here’s one that everyone can relate to (if you’re in the Northern Hemisphere):
Happy first day of Winter!
Cheers,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2017, 08:55:05 pm »

Rube,

I hope this doesn't offend those who live in the Southern Hemisphere....   Cool

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2017, 02:21:08 am »

Happy Friday  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2017, 03:58:08 am »

But that DOES offend me! I prefer Spring and Autumn, myself... Roll Eyes Wink Grin
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

And is it then the first day of summer in the Southern Hemisphere?
[A serious question, not a joke like above]
Joey

Here’s one that everyone can relate to (if you’re in the Northern Hemisphere):
Happy first day of Winter!
Cheers,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2017, 08:59:52 am »

Joey,

While we have summer weather everyday in Singapore , my son in Australia is just ushering the summer  Cheesy

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate the season !
And a Happy New Year in 2018 !

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: