About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:15:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Ebay retracts winning bid because it was too low

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay retracts winning bid because it was too low  (Read 443 times)
ileney

« on: December 20, 2017, 08:11:26 am »

This is the third time I’ve had this happen on eBay, but the first time it was in regards to a snuff bottle. I had the winning bid for a Mongolian silver snuff bottle - one of the best I’d ever seen, studded with many small rubies and supposedly with provenance. Ebay informs me the seller says it was damaged or “out of stock.” Translation: I would have been paying only a small fraction of its actual value. Last time this happened, the antique Chinese woven red coral necklaces I bought were “stolen” before they could be shipped. None of these people ever contact you directly. They are too ashamed. Ebay is useless in this situation.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:20:01 am »

Dear Ilene,

So sorry to hear your story which also happened to me a couple of times, I guess we can do nothing about it beside leaving a negative feedback. I always check feedbacks on the seller before I place any bids, even though, it still happened to me a couple of times. Embarrassed

Anyway, let it go, and happy collecting:)

Steven

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:10:54 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 11:53:29 am »

Yes, Steven, you are right of course. It’s not worth ranting about and I should just let it go and not let it aggravate me. I am still in the “doesn’t really collect snuff bottles, per se” category, but I do buy them when they are made of a stone or material I especially like or seem like a bargain that is too good to pass up. This one fit into both those categories, but it was probably simply too good to be true.
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 05:23:11 am »

Hi Ileney,

I've had the same thing happen with a carved cinnabar inro which was very badly photographed so I won with a low price only to be told the seller couldn't find the item. I let the seller know that I collect inro and constantly search for them on ebay because it made it hard for them to then immediately relist the item hoping it would achieve more.

They waited a few months before relisting it and I immediately contacted them. They did offer to sell it to me at the price I had won it for but it was obvious that they didn't want to and were surprised I had contacted them so I declined.

It sold for almost exactly the same price so their dishonesty achieved nothing.

It is frustrating because you can offer things for sale on ebay in any way you want and if you offer something at a low start price then you should accept the price it sells for. 

Regards, Adrian.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: