About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 04:22:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Yan Yutian ?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Yan Yutian ?  (Read 3681 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 02:53:06 pm »

Dear Rube,

Every year at the convention's benefit auction, they auction off a lot or two of boxes of stoppers. At least twice in recent years, I've bought a lot which consists of at least 100 stoppers of all colours, materials and sizes.

As well, at least 20 years ago in NYC's jewelry district, I found a company selling onyx spacer beads. The flat round ones make superb collars. They were closing for the day, and didn't want to deal with me, a private buyer [they usually sell wholesale]. As I was exiting, I heard the owner ask in Yiddish if they could find a 'Tzenter', the 10th man for a prayer Minyan for Mincha, the afternoon service. The response was negative. I then offered to be their tenth, so the boss could say Kaddish for his late father of blessed memory.

After the prayer, I put on my jacket to depart. The assistant asked where I was going.
I said that they were closing, so I was leaving. He then said that the boss had said to let me have whatever I wanted, since I'd helped him honour his late father's memory.My response was that I did not want to be 'rewarded' for doing what any Jew should do [helping a fellow Jew honour his parent's memory], and I did not want to make him have to stay longer, since doubtless he'd had a long day.

He said, in Hebrew, "Behavior begets behavior", a classic ZaHaL [IDF] statement, and asked what my ID number started with [based on the first 3 digits, most Israelis can figure out when you were inducted into the IDF],  and in which unit I'd served. 
My problem was that I did not have the cash on me to get more than a few sizes of collars.

If I'd had the cash handy, I could have got 20 sizes from 3mm up to 30mm. Another problem was that I needed to buy 100 of each size. I would have needed about US$ 350 to get everything. I should have left him to measure out [they had special scales - he set the code and it measured out 100 of each], and run to an ATM, and got the cash.
But I felt guilty keeping him in after work, so I only have 2 sizes. But if one fits, they are really gorgeous.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: