About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 04:17:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Tag sale Inside painted snuffs

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tag sale Inside painted snuffs  (Read 574 times)
ileney

« on: November 21, 2017, 08:50:58 pm »

These two bottles were amongst the inexpensive items my parents bought from their neighbor's  moving / garage sale. The small monkey snuff is only 1.75" tall without the stopper and barely 2" with it, but the stopper is glued on, it appears. It is also 1.75" wide. The tall one is much larger, as you can see, over 2.5" tall, and nearly exactly 3" tall with the stopper. It is also about 3" wide. It somehow seems even larger than it is. The stopper can be removed from that one. I know nothing about them. i assume they are junk, probably from the 1980's or 1990's? They still had their tags from the garage sale on them and were $3- $5 each, so I'm not too worried about it, but will post anyway in case anyone cares to add any information. Thank you in advance for looking!

* IMG_8158.JPG (111.34 KB, 640x480 - viewed 56 times.)

* IMG_8157.JPG (117.36 KB, 640x480 - viewed 38 times.)

* IMG_8161.JPG (75.54 KB, 640x480 - viewed 33 times.)

* IMG_8162.JPG (101.85 KB, 640x480 - viewed 50 times.)

* IMG_8167.JPG (89.65 KB, 640x480 - viewed 31 times.)

* IMG_8169.JPG (91.93 KB, 640x480 - viewed 29 times.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:53:15 pm by ileney » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:29:46 am »

Dear Ilene,

The monkey looks well painted, but why does he have a Menora in his paw?  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin
We can't actually see anything re.height from the photos.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

ileney

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:36:44 am »

Grin Menorah in his paw. LOL. I believe that is the other paw, but it does somehow look like it has an extra bit there, almost like the mouth of a musical instrument on top of a second paw. Also, I think I may see a cockatoo hidden in the shrubbery to the right, or am I imagining? Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. I am using an iphone 5. Let me try this again and see if I can get a better picture. Sadly, the stopper appears to be epoxied on this bottle!

Thank you for being so willing to take a look.

* IMG_8201.JPG (68.56 KB, 640x480 - viewed 39 times.)

* IMG_8197.JPG (101.66 KB, 640x480 - viewed 37 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 01:21:11 pm »

Dear Ilene,

There is a Cockatiel (smaller than a Cockatoo) to the monkey's left.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 01:38:47 pm »

Thank you for the information. Is that an artist’s signature on the other side or a date or something else? Is this from the very modern era or a bit before, and if you know, are there clues I should have picked up on that would have told me? Thank you again in advance for any information.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 03:09:23 pm »

Dear Ilene,

I can't make it out. One of the native Chinese readers will have to translate it.
I'd date the bottle to ca. post 1980 - 6 months before it got to you.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 04:38:52 am »

Dear Ileney,

The bottles are touristy stuff. In the case of the one with monkey, the title of the bottle is 申 ( shen ) 猴 (hou) and it means ' Monkey (猴) of the nineth position (申) in the Chinese 12-animal zodiac cycle. The artist's name is
石川, a common pen-name. The riverside of the small bottle has three Chinese character 克思丁 which is the phonetic equivalent of Christine in the West. The miniature bottle is, I believe, meant to be for ladies who practise snuffing. In this case, I believe this kind of bottle is mass produced and calligraphed on the spot by any new students of inside painting who want to earn extra income from tourists.

Though I have not come across any research paper associating miniature bottles ( of 25-30mm height range ) with female snuff  users, at the back of my mind I believe the size would be more acceptable and not so conspicuous to ancient Chinese ladies  Smiley Smiley

Regards,
Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 09:15:41 am »

“More acceptable to ancient Chinese ladies.” LOL. I didn’t think these bottles were anything special, but I appreciate knowing what it says and having the other information about it.  Thank you very much.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: