About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:13:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Calmness of a Lake

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Calmness of a Lake  (Read 1398 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 05:47:57 pm »

Hi  Rube,

Glad that the  pics  finally  were  OK. It  took  me  several  attempts  to  upload them (very  strange -  cos the  pics  after  compression  are each  less than 100 kB, and  all the other  pics  uploaded  OK)

I agree that  all  the  bottles  are  beautiful :  you can see the  bottle  I  bought  in the  3rd  and  4th  pics,  bottom row,  2nd  from the  right end.

The  reason I went to  Da  Yong's  home that  day (which  , by the  way  is  HUGE  -  about  5000  sq  ft,  and  filled   with  wall-to-wall,  floor-to-ceiling   art  books  :  Da  Yong  is  certainly  well off !)  was  that  I had joked  with  him  over  dinner  the  night  before  that "I  like  you  Da  Yong  very  much  ,  but  I  don't  like to buy  your  bottles  because  you  usually  don't  paint  Chinese  landscapes "

So  next  morning  he  called  me  and  asked  me to  visit  him  and  see  some of  his  latest  and  best  works,  some  of which  were  Chinese  landscapes.

I invite  comments  from others regarding  the  wide  variety  of styles and themes  among the  20 bottles. 

Also  comments  on the calligraphy.

Going  back to the  Liu  Jianghua  scam,  if  anyone  has the  Liu Jianghua  book which  was  published in Singapore  in about  2008 (Richard kindly  helped  me  buy a  copy, and  I have  scanned  it  into  my  DB) you will  probably  have  noticed  the  wide  variation of  themes and  styles  of the  bottles  :  much too wide  for  any  single artist  who, apart  from one  mention in  CIPMA, is a  complete  unknown.  I  reckon  the  bottles  in  that  book were  painted  by at  least  6 -7  different  artists,  most of whom were  top  student  ability according to the  skill  level  in the mid-late  2000s .

It  was  only when  I found  that some bottles  in  the Liu Jianghua  book were  exact duplicates  of  bottles  I had bought  via  a  Shanghai  dealer who   had close  links to  Da Yong that  I  realized the  scam.  Obviously  I had  bought practice  bottles  by the same   students  Da  Yong  had  employed to  paint  for  Liu Jianghua  (the bottles  I  bought  were  variously  signed :  some  even  "Jiang Hua"  and  one  actually "Liu Jianghua" !)

But the  extent  of the  scam  only  hit me  when I discussed  with  a noted  and very  trustworthy  Singapore  collector  who  told me  how  many  Liu Jianghua  bottles  had been  sold to  gullible   Singapore  collectors (over  5000 as I wrote before)
Even  sadder  was the  fact that  one of the  main sponsors  of the  Liu Jianghua  bottle  was a  Singapore  collector with whom I corresponded  a  lot in friendliness at that  time,  and  who  was  riddled  with cancer.  I can  imagine  his feelings  to  find out that  his  whole  collection (several  hundred)  of  Liu Jianghua  bottles  were scams.

Perhaps  this is  why  Da  Yong  has  now  turned  into a   Buddhist monk  because  he has  seen the error of  his ways and now hopes  to  'Yig'al' = "will Redeem" himself.
(Because  frankly,  what he  did  in the  past makes  me  feel     'Yiga'el' = "Will be Disgusted by!")  "

Cheers
Peter

PS:  Nonetheless,  I  agree  that  the  couple  of  REAL  Da  Yong bottles in his  classic  style,  which  I bought  via  Jill Guojie,  are  beautiful. I also think that  the  bottle  Pin  posted  is  a  genuine  Da Yong (and  very beautiful) although  I'm not so sure  about the  others  in this  link.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:51:32 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 09:41:02 am »

Sharing another recently painted bottle by Zhang Yong.. this is the real “Journey to the West”... (without the Monky God) whereby XuanZhang Fa Shi, a highly respected Monk travelled from Chang An to India to get the orgininal Buddhist Scripture and bring them back to China.

I like the color of the evening sun on this side of the bottle.... somehow, it remind me of those Ye Zhong San bottle where he used bright, contrasting colors that seems difficult to coordinate and made them look nice....

This is the other side of the bottle

Enjoy the art

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 10:57:05 am »

Pin,
Stop it! I can’t take it anymore! Gorgeous!

Cheers,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 05:54:41 pm »

Hi Pin

Lovely  bottle ! 

This  is  the  REAL  Zhang Yong,  glad to  say

As a  matter  of interest,  did  you  buy  these  bottles  and if so  what  did you  play (please  feel free to  reply by private  message)

Cheers

Peter

PS:  If  you  ever  have   an interest to  visit  Hengshui I would be  happy to  coordinate with  you  and  we  go together.  I have  not been to  Hengshui  for a  long  time, ever  since  I retired  and  therefore  was  not   travelling regularly to north  China.  But  I  do plan to  visit  Hengshui  sometime  in   early- mid  2018.  (Same  invitation applies to  any  Forum members  living  in S. E. Asia)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: