About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:20:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Calmness of a Lake

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Calmness of a Lake  (Read 1408 times)
AntPeople
Private Boards

« on: November 14, 2017, 04:10:24 am »

Hi All :

Sharing a recent bottle by Zhang Yong, I think the calmness of a lake and also they way the morning sun shins through the morning mist are very well painted in this bottle.

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:25:24 am »

Pin,
That’s beautiful!
Cheers,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:57:51 am »

Very beautiful Pin...
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 03:21:52 pm »

Wow, Pin! Gorgeous!.
What is the height etc., and is it for sale?
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:50:46 pm »

Dear Pin,

That is a wonderful bottle! Some of my friend also talked about the bottle recently, Da yong did wonderful job on creating the his new inside painting style. He will be a star in the future.

Please keep us updated on Da yong's new work, I know that you have good connection with Da yong. His work always make me excited.

Cheers!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

MikeChina

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 09:16:41 pm »

Zhang Yong's works

* 20171115110020.jpg (300.07 KB, 1080x1532 - viewed 33 times.)

* 20171115110026.jpg (287.97 KB, 1080x1516 - viewed 35 times.)

* 20171115110030.jpg (286.82 KB, 1080x1460 - viewed 33 times.)

* 20171115110036.jpg (298.41 KB, 1080x1470 - viewed 36 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Steven

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 09:30:27 pm »

Thanks Mike for sharing!

The calligraphy on the last one doesn't look like Da yong's. But overall feeling is there.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 04:16:19 am »

Mike,

I like this one too!
Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 06:40:51 am »

Thanks everyone.... Da Yong will be very happy to hear of all the compliments!

I believe that his style of painting will change as he enter his next phase of life... Da Yong is now seriously studying Buddhism and has became some kind of a “stay home monk”..... (He just shaved his head bald recenly, from long hair to nothing!)

Hi Joey :

I do not know the height of the bottle but I have bought it after I discussed this bottle with DaYong.... actually, for all this time that I knew and talked to him... he has never call me to buy any of his bottle.....this is the first time he hinted to me to keep this bottle of his for myself.... you will be able to see it when you visit Singapore. If one day I can part with it.... I will let you know

Pin
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:27:17 am by AntPeople » Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 07:40:15 am »

Pin,

Make sure and tell him if he lowers his prices, we will all buy his bottles! Grin

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:49:05 am »

Hi Pin,

Beautiful bottle, very serene.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 06:07:51 pm »

Dear Pin,

'Brought' it or 'Bought' it? I'm assuming the latter, from context.
Congratulations,
Joey

Thanks everyone.... Da Yong will be very happy to hear of all the compliments!

I believe that his style of painting will change as he enter his next phase of life... Da Yong is now seriously studying Buddhism and has became some kind of a “stay home monk”..... (He just shaved his head bald recenly, from long hair to nothing!)

Hi Joey :

I do not know the height of the bottle but I have brought it after I discussed this bottle with DaYong.... actually, for all this time that I knew and talked to him... he has never call me to buy any of his bottle.....this is the first time he hinted to me to keep this bottle of his for myself.... you will be able to see it when you visit Singapore. If one day I can part with it.... I will let you know

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 06:28:34 am »

Thanks for correction .... Joey.... my lousy English

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

Steven

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 12:18:06 pm »

Dear Pin,

Congratulations! I am Jealous。:) Grin Smiley

If you have a chance, would you mind to ask if the signature of the bottle is done by Dayong or not?

I am just curious since its not his style altho the painting is fabulous.

Best,

Steven

* dy.jpg (298.41 KB, 1080x1470 - viewed 28 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 04:56:07 pm »

Dear Pin,

Your English is fine. Try Hebrew, where in one prayer, Kaddish, 'Yig'al' means "will Redeem",
but 'Yiga'el' means "Will be Disgusted by!"
Best,
Joey

Thanks for correction .... Joey.... my lousy English

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

MikeChina

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 10:01:30 pm »

I called Da yong just now!
The signature of the bottle is done by him!
His writting style is changing.

Dear Pin,

Congratulations! I am Jealous。:) Grin Smiley

If you have a chance, would you mind to ask if the signature of the bottle is done by Dayong or not?

I am just curious since its not his style altho the painting is fabulous.

Best,

Steven

Report Spam   Logged
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 06:59:34 pm »

Hi  All,

Sorry to  be out of  circulation for  so long. I was  in UK visiting  my family  for  one  month (No  I did not  join the  ICSBS  convention, even though  I was  in London at the  same  time . I have  quietly  resigned  from the  ICSBS  - and  surprisingly  no-one  from the  ICSBS ever  wrote to me  to ask  why  .... or  perhaps  not so  surprisingly ?   )

The  bottle  posted  by  Pin looks  definitely  like  Da Yong to me :  the  way he  paints little "monk-like"  people  is very characteristic of his  typical  style.

On the  other  hand,  I agree that the 2  bottles  posted  by Mike  are a  new-ish  kind  of  style, although  I  have  seen  this style before  (if you  have  a  copy  of  my  DB  you  can find  examples )

But I  do find the  change  of  writing style  very  unusual.  In my experience,  artists   rarely  change their  writing styles

However,  please  do remember that  Da  Yong  (real  name  Zhang Yong)  participated  in one  of the  greatest  ever scams  in the past  -  whereby  he  either  he  signed  his name  on his  students' bottles,  or else  he  signed  other  artists' names  on his  students' bottles (!)

See  for example the  "great  Liu Jianghua"  scam  whereby   over  5,000  falsely- signed  bottles   were  sold to  some  gullible  collectors  in Singapore  in the  mid-late  2000s  under the  name of  Liu Jianghua (Yes I know that's  an unbelievably high number, but  it  was verified by various reliable  sources)

In fact I  myself  have  "smoking  gun"   examples  of  Da Yong  scam-signing "Liu Jianghua"  on his  students' bottles. I own several  bottles which  I know  for certain were  painted  by  Da  Yong  students  (they told me so -  e.g. Zhang Limin)  of which mirror-image  version  copies  appear  in  the  Liu Jianghua  book 

It's  very sad that this  happened  in the  past  because  it  gives  VMIPBs a  bad name.  No wonder   the  international  collecting community, especially the  ICSBS members  are reluctant to  invest  in VMIPBs

It also  leaves  one  with a  "nasty  feeling" that  if one  has  bought   some  Da  Yong bottles (as I have done), even  directly  from  Da  Yong  himself, they  may not  actually  be  painted  by him.

Two examples  from my own personal  experience :

1. I  once  bought  an very  unusual  "western landscape /  oil painting"  style  bottle  by Zhang  Yong   from David Osborne .  It was not  cheap (I paid   US$460  for it  in one of  David's  auctions).  I know for certain  that  David  always  bought in good  faith  and I have  David's  certificate  issued  by  WXS  verifying  that  the  bottle  was  painted  by Zhang  Yong,  and the  bottle  is indeed  (almost  microscopically)  signed Zhang Yong  in the  middle  of a  tree  trunk - see  pics  attached.  But  when  I once  casually  showed the  bottle  to Da  Yong  he  denied  ever  painting it !

2. The  very last  time  I ever  met  Da Yong was  in 2014   and I  went to his  home  to see  some of  his  "latest  bottles".  At the  time  I was  not  as wise  as I  (hope  I )  am now,  so when  he  showed  me  20 lovely  bottles all  painted  in a   very wide variety of  styles  and  themes  I was  (naively)  amazed and  full of  admiration. But looking back  I now  believe that  many  - if  not  most of - those  bottles  were  painted  by  other  artists, because  very few of them were typical  Da  Yong  style. See  the  attached   4 x  pics and  judge for  yourself.

In particular, one bottle  struck me  as  truly  beautiful  - it was  an abstract  landscape, which  I bought (and it was  not  cheap : I paid RMB20K ) . It's  now  bottle #P325 in my  collection

By a  very  strange coincidence  I was looking at an art  book by a famous  abstract  artist :  Zhang  Daqian  a  few  years later  and  saw - to my utter  astonishment - the  same   painting   as on the  A-side  of  my   P325 bottle .  See  the attached  pics  and  judge for yourself !

Also judge  for yourself  if the  signature is  Da  Yong's .

It is  of course possible that this bottle is by  Da Yong, but that he  copied the  A-side  from  Zhang  Daqian (the  B-side  is a  kind  of  "variation on a  theme"  of the  A-side ).  But  I think you  will  agree that  the  style  is  not  Da  Yong's, so a  more  likely  explanation is   that  a student  copied  from Zhang  Daqian and  then  Da  Yong signed  his name  on the  bottle.

Caveat emptor !

Cheers
Peter

* Zhang Yong (12.2004) Western Landscape @ David Osborne - Copy.jpg (253.65 KB, 703x934 - viewed 31 times.)

* Zhang Yong (12.2004) Western Landscape @ David Osborne.jpg (106.57 KB, 647x285 - viewed 26 times.)

* 20 bottles @ Da Yong's home (1).JPG (86.16 KB, 1024x583 - viewed 39 times.)

* 20 bottles @ Da Yong's home (2).JPG (92.61 KB, 1024x618 - viewed 41 times.)

* 20 bottles @ Da Yong's home (3).JPG (95.93 KB, 1024x602 - viewed 26 times.)

* 20 bottles @ Da Yong's home (4).JPG (92.56 KB, 1024x577 - viewed 31 times.)

* Da Yong ??= Zhang Yong ??P325(A).JPG (56.91 KB, 768x830 - viewed 34 times.)

* Autumn Morning by Zhang Daqian + Zhang Yong (A) (1).jpg (77.94 KB, 1005x768 - viewed 23 times.)

* Da Yong signature .JPG (72.64 KB, 1024x653 - viewed 20 times.)

* Zhang Yong (12.2004) signature.JPG (81.02 KB, 519x1024 - viewed 22 times.)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:13:59 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 06:59:32 am »

Peter,

I'm interested to see your pictures titled 20 bottles from Da Yong's House, but I'm unable to open these attachments, only the thumbnails appear.  Can you resubmit these?

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 07:20:26 am »

Hi  Rube

You are right - the   20  bottle  pics  do not  open

But  all the  other pics  do  open OK , is that  correct?

I  attach  again the  4  pics  of  20  bottles

Cheers

Peter

* 20 bottles at Da Yong home (1).JPG (86.16 KB, 1024x583 - viewed 29 times.)

* 20 bottles at Da Yong home (2).JPG (92.61 KB, 1024x618 - viewed 31 times.)

* 20 bottles at Da Yong home (3).JPG (95.93 KB, 1024x602 - viewed 34 times.)

* 20 bottles at Da Yong home (4).JPG (92.56 KB, 1024x577 - viewed 31 times.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:38:49 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 08:48:53 am »

Peter,

Thank you for resending these photographs.
Whoever painted these bottles, they're beautiful!

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: