About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 01:01:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Blue Chi Dragon Overlay

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Chi Dragon Overlay  (Read 729 times)
forestman
Private Boards

« on: October 30, 2017, 10:14:18 am »

Hi Luke,

Thanks for adding those 2 examples as they are slightly different to the ones I found which were in the Treasury books, Robert Hall, Chinese snuff bottles II and the Burghley House Collection.

All the ones I found had plantain borders of the same length whereas you have found 2 with longer leaves over the shoulders like mine (although with plantain leaves not palm leaves). One of yours has the plantain leaves carved out of both overlay colours which I hadn't seen and the V and A bottle is more rectangular in shape whilst all the others are rounded. It is also the only one with multi colour overlays on a single plane.

The comment about the plantain leaf ones is as follows;

There is a distinctive group of glass bottles which clearly developed at some time during the first half of the 19th Century and continued towards 1900. They are characterised by the use of multiple overlays, complex genre scenes, neck borders of this type and frequently use the inside of the footrim for further decorative elements. They are usually fairly crudely carved, although frequently with considerable folksey charm, presumably on the basis that with such fancy colours the quality of carving was less important. This group has been extensively faked in the past few years (comment 1989) but the modern fakers tend to have missed the point of the crudeness and the folk art quality of the originals, tending to apply rather too fancy carving to a group that never aspired to it in the first place.

You see on ebay numerous modern bottles from China with plantain leaf neck borders although I can't see any appeal in them.

Crizzling seems to have been an Imperial glassworks problem that came with the Jesuit Missionaries so may not have been happening in any private workshops.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: