About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 10:18:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Can't believe what just happened.....

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't believe what just happened.....  (Read 939 times)
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« on: October 04, 2017, 03:44:49 pm »

Dear all,

I truly can't believe what just happened. I was all set and ready to bid for the two perfect bottles by Gui Xianggu and Yu Shuyun. I even set alarms to wake myself up several times to constantly check the progress of the auction, but only to find out when I woke up to the last alarm that the two lots just passed, just the previous lots they had been!! And both sold for incredibly low prices!!! Cry Cry Cry They would have greatly enriched my inside painted bottle collection... I should have stayed awake all along as it's a public holiday for us tomorrow for Mid-Autumn! This feeling is much worse than merely being outbid! And I can hardly bear with it myself. I think I would feel better sharing with you all here.

But after all, perhaps it's just not G-D's will that I get them, somehow. I think I can make that conclusion for the fact that I missed the bottles by just 1 minute, literally 1 minute....

May such things never happen to any of us again,
Samson

P.S. Thinking further, perhaps G-D opined that I'd bought enough bottles recently... Roll Eyes I will post them up later....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:53:55 pm by samsonlzj » Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 04:19:54 pm »

Sorry Samson !

I have had that happen more than a few times.. The bottles sound wonderful and just sucks you lost them for the cheap prices.

Wish I could add some helpful thoughts of therapy for you, but you will get them next auction !

I have tried a few times to contact an auction house after missing the auction when the bottles were passed on and offered to buy them, but this has never worked out for me yet..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 04:24:48 pm »

I have tried a few times to contact an auction house after missing the auction when the bottles were passed on and offered to buy them, but this has never worked out for me yet..

Dear George,

Nice to hear from you and thanks for the consolation! Well I'm trying what you've just mentioned as a last resort... I know chances are slim and many auction houses may refuse to do that to protect buyers' privacy, but I couldn't just give up without trying.... Wink

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:03:14 pm »

Hi Samson,

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. I know how awful you must be feeling, and can sympathize.

Under these circumstances one has to be philosophical. As you say, it may have been G-d's will or your destinity NOT to win those two bottles.

Another point to bear in mind is that if you HAD bid, and were up against a determined opponent, the price may have either risen beyond your reach, or you would have paid too much. This is how I console myself whenever I am the under-bidder on a lot.

And remember..... there is always another day, and another bottle waiting on the horizon.

All best for next time!
Tom

PS: Do you know if the lot was sold or passed? If definitely unsold, contact the auction house and offer to buy the bottles for just above the low estimate. This is what the dealers do.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:10:45 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 09:26:12 pm »

Hi Tom,

Thank you. Yes, that's how Steven consoled me too. Smiley

The bottles are marked as sold, so I can't contact the auction house and make a post-sale offer. Nevertheless, I wrote them requesting them to put me through to the buyer of the bottles with the hope that I can convince him/her to sell them to me although I understand it is unlikely they would entertain my request as they need to protect buyers' privacy. I just want to give it a try anyhow...

Anyway, as you know, it's not been a fruitless hunt for me recently. So I have to say I still feel content and happy, although I could have been happier... Wink Well, nothing is perfect.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 02:54:08 am »

Dear Samson,

I am sorry for your 'loss'  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin
Figure that G-D Always Wants what is best for you, even if you don't 'see' it at the time. But I know the feeling. It is galling.

I didn't even know about a Yu Shuyun for sale. Which auction was it?
You can always contact the auction, speak to someone personally, and, if you make a personal connection, ask them to pass your contact info on or communicate an offer. Worst case scenario, you no worse off than if you did nothing.  But you know you did what you could.

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival and Happy Sukkot,

Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 05:51:58 am »

Dear Joey,

It was Bonhams Asian Art auction in San Francisco last night (around noon SF time). Not specifically a SB auction which probably explains why there wasn't much interest in the two bottles I wanted to get.

I don't really know anyone at Bonhams but I'm trying to get in touch with a customer service personnel who had assisted me recently during the Golder sale to see if anything can be worked out.

It's a shame because both bottles looked fine and Yu Shuyun's works are hard to come by.

Happy Sukkot!
Samson

Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 01:56:01 pm »

Samson, that's a real shame sorry you missed out, the problem is you can never be sure how many lots per hour the auctioneer will get through! Next time get your self a couple of good videos to watch and stay up.

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 04:09:16 pm »

Dear Samson,

Next time, call the auction house on the phone and have them call you to bid over the phone. They will call you about 5-10 lots before, and you bid through the telephonist who contacted you.

I knew of 8 Yu Shuyun bottles - 5 I own, and 3 in the Bloch collection.
Yup, rare... Grin
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 05:15:00 pm »

I prefer the telephone bidding too...just seems a bit more personal.   So sorry you missed out on these two treasures but there will be another day! 
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 12:57:59 am »

Dear Jason,

When sleepiness attacks me, not even coffee or movies could save me. Roll Eyes

Dear Joey and Jo,

Yes, I will definitely go for telephone bidding in the future when auctions take place at odd hours for me and when there is just one ot two bottles I want to buy.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 09:21:55 am »

Dear Samson,

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience.

As Tom has said, you never know that better bottles may be around the corner waiting for you.

I wish you success in trying to connect with the buyer through the auction house.

Inn Bok
Singapore
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 01:32:22 pm »

Dear Samson,

Did you ever hear from the buyer?
I'd asked Clare Chu to ask Dessa Goddard quietly,  if a dealer or a collector purchased the bottle; and Dessa replied that it was a collector, and she could not divulge the name.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: