About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:07:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Jet bottle

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Jet bottle  (Read 2229 times)
Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 09:20:35 pm »

Steven,

Thanks for sharing Joey's WOWZA bottle!

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 09:53:35 pm »

Joey's bottle is amazing Steven !  I can't recall ever seeing an embellished jet bottle before..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 10:32:40 pm »

Joey's bottle is amazing Steven !  I can't recall ever seeing an embellished jet bottle before..
Yes George.
It was wonderful experience to handle a bottle like that, really amazing! Yes,the bottle is almost flawless, and even the embellished gold has different colors.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 01:36:27 am »

Steven, Joey, some bottle what a joy to look at, Real quality and workmanship.  Thanks for sharing.

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 05:15:58 am »

Hi Steven and Joey,

An absolutely fabulous bottle! The workmanship is superb and and the contrast of the gold on jet is an exceptional combination. Thank you for sharing this lovely piece of art.

Best regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Mat
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 05:37:09 am »

Steven, I tried to enhance visibility with talc as Tom suggested, I hope the inscription is more readable now. Still I guess it will be not an easy task, but I would be very happy of course to know what is written there!
Best regards,
Matthias

* INS3.jpg (112.45 KB, 502x1134 - viewed 53 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Mat
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2017, 05:48:22 am »

And the decoration enhanced with talc:

* talc1.jpg (105.18 KB, 716x850 - viewed 46 times.)

* talc2.jpg (108.2 KB, 716x850 - viewed 43 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2017, 05:57:40 am »

Joey- I love your bottle!  What a wonderful Birthday Present.  This is such a unique bottle and the gold embellishment is superb.  I am sure a lot of other snuff bottle lovers would love to see this one in person.  This is just a gentle suggestion you might consider sharing this one in an upcoming exhibition.  Wink 

Mat- How interesting the inscription down the side that can be seen better with Tom's suggestion of the talc. Hopefully someone can share what the inscription says. I think this makes the bottle even more special. I look forward to seeing the translation.   
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2017, 01:21:39 pm »

Thank you all for the compliments, and thank  you Steven, for posting it.

I had intended to display it, but Bob Hall, who took the late 18th C. Palace Workshops bottle and gave it to the Japanese lacquer artist to embellish in 2008, specifically requested I NOT display it, since it is "not authentic" after having been decorated in 2008/2009. So whoever would like to see it 'live' will have to come visit me in Israel.

As well, I was requested not to display any post 1940 IPSBs, but am going to display my Ye Bengqi in quartz which was illustrated twice in the Lilla Perry book, and also my enameled glass bottle attributed to Wang Xisan.

Best,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2017, 01:28:06 pm »

Super Joey... that is about the Ye Bengqi in quartz and the enameled bottle attributed to Wang Xisan!  I am so sad that Bob does not want to display this jet beauty.  I hope to see it at a later date in Israel.  All the best!  Jo
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2017, 01:32:07 pm »

Dear Jo,

You'll be most welcome whenever you'd like.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Mat
Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 08:13:35 am »

Another attempt to make the inscription more readable...
Regards,
Matthias

* INS4.jpg (121.57 KB, 504x1134 - viewed 36 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 02:10:19 pm »

Dear Mat,

Sorry for the late response. And Thank you for the additional photo.

I had a little hard time to figure out a couple of characters, I asked my friends, and here you go.

"蟋蟀催空捉,黄花开未残。 爵山”  Xi shuai  cui kong zhuo, huang hua kai wei can. Jue shan.

I am not be able to  find where the original poem came from, but " Jue shan" should be the craftman's name or art name.

I wish someone who can translate the poem for you.

Best,

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Mat
Private Boards

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 03:20:19 am »

Dear Stephen,
thank you (and your friends) so much for your help and for taking the time to research this for me! If one accepts Tom's idea the the bottle was decorated by the owner (a literatus), then maybe it is his own poem and not of a famous other poet? Jue Shan could well be an art name, couldn't it? Of course this cannot be prooved, but I like the idea...
Again many thanks,
Matthias
Report Spam   Logged
Mat
Private Boards

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 03:23:52 am »

One more question: Would the last, somehow square character in the left column be the "seal" of Jue Shan?
Best regards,
Matthias
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 04:11:22 am »

Dear Matthias,

I agree with Tom's opinion that it was done by the Literatus himself, but find its 'naive' style charming.
     Hugh Moss coined (or, more probably, 'borrowed') a term, ''Artful Artlessness'', to describe Literati works which were designed, often at great effort and even great expense, to look like they were thrown together or executed crudely.
      This could well be an example of that.

And you could well be correct that the poem or couplet is his (hers? there were women Literati, as well).

One side looked to me like it was similar to a wellknown scene from the Novel Dream of the Red Chamber.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Mat
Private Boards

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 09:31:39 am »

Thank you Joey, I will check depictions of the Dream of the Red Chamber!
Regards,
Matthias
Report Spam   Logged
Mat
Private Boards

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 03:55:09 am »

I posted the poem on a Chinese language forum, and was told that it is about cricket catching and chrysanthemums that are not withered... So it seems to describe an autumn scene and is eventually related to the Double Ninth Festival (on the 9th day of the 9th month of the Chinese year, a day used to climb the mountains and appreciate chrysanthemums... The cricket catching and the chrysanthemums fit well the one side of the snuff bottle, I think, which shows the two sitting figures in front of a small round container, which can very well be a cricket box. Also the flowers behind the fence may well be chrysanthemums.
As to the other side, I am not sure that it is related to the Dream of the Red Chamber. I think it is just a scholar sitting in a "hut", maybe in his garden, a theme not uncommon in literati painting...
Regards,
Matthias

* Det1.jpg (326.01 KB, 1183x1134 - viewed 46 times.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:04:41 am by Mat » Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 04:41:10 am »

Excellent Matthais ! Yes indeed it sure does seem likely a cricket box ...
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Mat
Private Boards

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 07:18:12 am »

Thank you George. Here is an example of a literati painting similar to the scene on the other side: https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/hb/hb_1979.458.1.jpg
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: