About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 04:27:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

New IP bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New IP bottle  (Read 494 times)
albert

« on: March 27, 2020, 11:54:19 am »

Hello,
This time I'm showing a inside painted snuff bottle. I know that it is simple and not very interesting  by the forum, but I liked it and as It had a good price I bought it.
I'm supposing that this bottle was created arround 1920-30, are you agree? I can not know who painted it because it is not signed, but is have a similar stile of YONG SHOU TIAN

Albert.

* IMG_8147.JPG (463.47 KB, 1824x1368 - viewed 46 times.)

* IMG_8146.JPG (495.25 KB, 1824x1368 - viewed 36 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 02:07:45 pm »

I have noticed that there are a lot of real bargains on warrior type painted bottles.. Both signed/dated and unsigned/undated.

I think your right for the 1920/1930 date.. Yes, similar to Yong Shoutian, probably a student..

Congrats Albert !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 07:16:27 pm »

Hi Albert

Nice bottle. I have a similar unsigned one and agree with George on date and artist.

I think yours is rather better than mine - mine has too much unpainted space at the top of the bottle.
I've had mine for at least 20 years.

Can you tell us how large it is? These bottles are normally relatively large, mine is 8.5cm tall not including the stopper and almost 7 cm wide.

Best regards
Geoff
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:52:18 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

albert

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 10:25:01 am »

Hi George,
Thanks for your information, I don't have enough experience in snuff bottles to say it's a bargain or not, but since it was so cheap, I'm really happy to read its text saying it !!! Wink

Hi Geoff,
Your bottle is very similar, also very nice. Your bottle has the stopper and that shines better. The size of my bottle is 86x54x70 mm. and it is not very symmetrical.

I'm thinking how similar the painting style and themes used by Yong Shoutian school, their students are not very creative. They try to copy their teacher. It is curious to me. Huh
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 06:48:14 pm »

Dear Albert,

Copying the master's style has a great history in the East and in the West. Think of the school of Rembrandt; etc.
As well, remember that this was a commercial studio.
Whoever was buying from the studio/workshop of Yong Shoutian,
WANTED bottles painted in the style of Yong Shoutian.
If they had preferred the style of another artist, like Ma Shaoxuan,
they'd have commissioned his studio/workshop...
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

albert

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 08:50:22 am »

Dear Joey,
Thanks for the explanation, it make sence.

On the other hand, you told that this was a commercial studio, what is the meaning of it? It was an important shop during 1920-30, where people buy the snuff bottles for decorate their house or it was for the foreigners?

Greeatings,
Albert.
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 02:35:55 pm »

Dear Albert,

By referring to it as 'Commercial', I simply meant that it was painted by an artist as his livelihood, NOT a Scholar-artist, who would have painted for his own pleasure, or as a gift to a friend, etc.

Ding Erzhong was a scholar-artist, supposedly.
While Zhou Leyuan, Ma Shaoxuan, Ye Zhongsan, Yong Shaotian, etc.,
were 'commercial' artists.
This does not mean they were working in a factory; it just means they got paid for their work.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

albert

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 11:40:47 am »

Ok Joey, thanks for your explanation

Greetings,
Albert.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print