General information about the Site

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Adrian recently shared this wonderful Yan Yutian panelled bottle

Gotheborg's Marks On Chinese Porcelain

Photobucket

Snuff Bottle Collector

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2018, 08:07:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Downloads Gallery Staff List Login Register  

This is a tough one guys...

Pages: [1]
  Add poll  |  Print  
Author Topic: This is a tough one guys...  (Read 181 times)
George
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:18:19 am »

Good day all...

After a lot of soul searching and being honest with myself, I regret to tell that have decided to leave as administrator to the forum.

I have written Steven, and had intended on just simply and quietly bowing out..  But after the many years of sharing and learning here, I want to share a little from the heart as I part ways.

There have been so many wonderful bottles pass though my hands.. So many... This is a problem that leaves me feeling past months like am not growing as a true collector.. Sure, there were a few dollars that were made here and there, but that is not where I intended or ever wanted this collecting experience to be about. .. That is not what this experience was ever suppose to turn out to be.

After being truly honest with myself, have decided I really no longer am comfortable being administrator to the forum, and especially do not belong within our sacred inner circle with such an elite group of collectors who words can not never truly express my gratitude, feelings of honour, and respect for, and such great pleasure that I have been blessed to come to know.

Some of you who have come to know me, know that I am a simple country boy from the mountains of the Pacific Northwest.. Living month to month on a basic income, of which this art medium presented itself to me years ago and quickly turned into a real passion of love.

It has become to uncofortable and just does not feel right for me any longer, as passing bottles become just that.. Passing.. It has always been such a joy to at least experience each one, even if for a short time. But my basic lifestyle is not going to change any time soon, and internally can not shake the uncomfortable feelings that this has become more about an ocassional dollar than honest collecting. So much so that it has left me feeling so extremely uncomfortable that I just can no longer honestly ignore.  It is just not feeling right..

I am actually choked up as I write. It is really quite difficult to be honest with oneself, no matter how uncomfortable. But deep down I know am doing the right thing.

Being a part of the Chinese snuff bottle community has been a learning experience that is on top of most all others throughout my life.  One thing for sure, I expect that what ever my next interest, hobby, collecting experience or life experience is, the time shared here will without a doubt play a part.

Rest easy knowing that this forum will never go offline.. I am making sure of it .. It will exsist on as long as there are collectors who wish to share and learn here.. I must admit a pretty good feeling to have been able and get it up and running, and equally good feelings knowing that there will be an endless number of collectors who will experience the same as I have here.. Feels pretty darn good actually...

But know this as well.. This forum would not be what it is if it were not for the new, the novice , and more the experienced collectors here who have always been truly, solely responsible for it's success. So thank you all for making it what it is, and I know you will continue to be a part of it's future success for others.

Steven has the ball .. I know you have a lot going on Steven, so I hope have made it as easy as possible for you..  I have and will continue for what ever time need be, to aid in keeping the forum running smoothly, but will simply be behind the scenes helping as needed..

Man this is a tough one guys... Truly...

Best wishes, and happy collecting my friends ! 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:23:17 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:19:44 am »

Dear George,

Both you and the forum have come a long way...

I respect your wish and decision whatever the case... and admire the passion and commitment you've put in to promote the hobby... Thank you for all you've done and thank you for accepting my request to join the forum at the very beginning. It's been a fruitful and rewarding experience for me to interact with all collectors here, both experienced and novice, regardless of their collecting interest. It's also given me the opportunity to make many good friends including you. This is what I cherish above all. I feel that I've grown both as a collector and a person in the almost one and a half year since I joined the forum.

Just want you to know that you'll always be an important part of this great family that you've helped to build.

I agree with you that the forum will exist on as long as there are collectors who wish to share and learn here.. this I believe is the common aspiration of all of us here on the forum...

I wish you the best... and you're always welcome here whenever you feel like returning! Wink

Take care, my friend!

Blessings!
Samson
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:59:14 pm by samsonlzj » Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
forestman
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:42:43 am »

Hi George,

You have every right to feel pretty darn good about what you have done in starting this forum. It is an invaluable asset to anyone who has an interest in snuff bottles because of the wealth of shared information held here and I hope it continues to exist and grow for many years to come and I will be a part of it for as long as I am able.

Best Wishes to you and your family for whatever comes next for you and it has been a pleasure to know you, even if only via the internet.

Regards, Adrian.

Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:32:25 am »

George I am relatively new to the forum, I wasn't aware that you were the instigator of this discussion forum. Can I say thank you from the bottom of my heart, I have learnt such a lot since I have been looking in. I hope to do so for long into the future. Look after yourself and I do hope you drop in from time to time.

Warmest regards Jason.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:07:10 am by Jungle Jas » Report Spam   Logged
wgeoff
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:38:15 pm »

George

You've done a fantastic job keeping us all under control as well as adding your experience and opinions which are far more important than you seem to believe.
You will be sorely (and surely) missed by us all.

Enjoy your rest but stay with us please.

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:54:55 pm »

Dear George,

It has been more than 6 years since I joined the FORUM, and we became close friend since then. We chat almost daily, sometime offline. I see how you setup the FORUM , and how the FORUM grow with us.

I think that I understand your feeling, but I am not totally agree with you. I have seen your passion and enthusiasm to the little bottles which already leads you a true collector no matter how many bottles you keep eventually , we all are the passers of the little treasures, not the keeper, we can't keep them forever and will pass them on sooner or later. so there is nothing wrong to sell your bottles, not mention that you need to raise money for all the expense of running the FORUM for all of us! So you should be proud of yourself not be uncomfortable about it in any case.

We all will take good care of the FORUM for you during your absence, and will hand over the baby back to you whenever your little break is over.

Take care and come back soon!

Steveb 
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:37:37 pm »

Dear George,

It has been more than 6 years since I joined the FORUM, and we became close friend since then. We chat almost daily, sometime offline. I see how you setup the FORUM , and how the FORUM grow with us.

I think that I understand your feeling, but I am not totally agree with you. I have seen your passion and enthusiasm to the little bottles which already leads you a true collector no matter how many bottles you keep eventually , we all are the passers of the little treasures, not the keeper, we can't keep them forever and will pass them on sooner or later. so there is nothing wrong to sell your bottles, not mention that you need to raise money for all the expense of running the FORUM for all of us! So you should be proud of yourself not be uncomfortable about it in any case.

We all will take good care of the FORUM for you during your absence, and will hand over the baby back to you whenever your little break is over.

Take care and come back soon!

Steveb 

Dear George,

I hope you're reading our posts here before you leave for the break... I second Steven!

Come back soon!
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Wattana
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 12:54:28 am »

George,

This has come as a surprise to all of us. Reading your message I kind of understand some of your reasons for giving up the administration. But I sincerely hope, as I'm sure everyone else does, that you will continue to "add your two cents' worth" to future discussions whenever you like. Your comments and opinions are always valued.

Take care,
Tom

PS: Thanks for getting the Mongolian article onto the side bar.  Wink
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:56:57 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Tom
Collecting since 1972

OIB
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 07:49:14 am »

George,

I am surprised to hear of your decision. Nevertheless I respect your choice to withdraw as our forum administrator, but hopefully you will not disconnect yourself completely. I have been so much enriched by all the discussions, arguments, comments and insights participated by all of us. This is something I don't find when I was a member of the International Society in the early 90's.
Thank you for your tireless work and passion for this Forum !

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged
Rube
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 08:30:51 am »

George,

I can't add much else that has already been said, as I share the sentiments of others on the Forum. You have created something that is beautiful, more so than the beauty of all the objects that have been shared here.  You've created a community, one which I'm grateful to be a part.

Steven,
Thank you for taking the reigns, and keeping this Forum alive.

Cheers,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Fiveroosters
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 03:20:03 pm »

Dear George,
I am sharing all what others has said. I really hope that you will stay around here.
Dear Steven, wish you all the best in your new charge.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

pookles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 03:51:20 am »

Thanks for all the hard work you've put into the forum George and this place has been invaluable to me whilst learning about and buying bottles. I hope your leave of abstinence isn't too long and you get in touch again with your passion for Chinese antiques.

Best,
Luke
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:14:25 am by pookles » Report Spam   Logged

Luke
joearp
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 01:27:53 pm »

I only wish the best for you George.  As a fairly new collector I have learned so much from this group who share richly of their experience and opinions.... You have done an awesome job to put this all together.  I think we are all very very appreciative of your hard work and the time you have spent. I am sure no one has any idea of the amount of hours you have put in on this project, but know you have done something very special. 

You have been so kind to me and encouraged me in your posts and messages when I truly needed the encouragement.  I love the snuff bottle collectors and these beautiful little works of art that have made us a community.  I hope we hear from you often and again I wish you well.  Jo
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 04:41:15 pm »

Dear George,

I agree with all the sentiments that preceded me. I only found this now - I'd accidentally unhooked the router 2 days ago, after I returned from my trip to UK & Italy.

The Forum has re-ignited my passion for SBs, and that is thanks to your starting and running the Forum.

I hope you'll reconsider and return, but support your wishes.
I just watched a clip from PragerU about how stupid unearned 'Self-Esteem' is.
You have the real esteem of myself and all who joined the Forum and enjoyed it as a way to learn and to connect with other like-minded collectors.
And I DO consider you a fellow collector.
G-D Bless,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Add poll  |  Print  

Jump to: