About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:37:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Hooked on Snuff Bottles

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooked on Snuff Bottles  (Read 2472 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 12:26:28 am »

Hi All,

Ted, Kaja, Elisha and others who introduced themselves and then went very quiet, I hope they will return. As Steven says, if they are truly interested in snuff bottles, they will come back sooner or later.

I had no experience of internet forums before joining this one, so there was no benchmark to gauge it by. Until last year.

I have a few vintage wrist-watches and a nice antique pocket watch. As I know almost nothing about watches I decided to join a forum dedicated to that topic (a huge one, claiming to have over 18,000 members). At the back of my mind was the possibility of selling them to fellow collectors. To do that you need to clock up a minimum of 50 posts. "Easy," I thought, based on the snuff bottle forum.

How mistaken I was. First post, to introduce myself, elicited 2 responses of welcome. Then I posted photos of my first vintage wrist-watch. No response - except to advise on how to up-load images properly (different system from this forum). No other replies. After a few weeks I posted my nice gold pocket watch in the 'antique pocket watches' thread. Again, no response, zilch....nada.

Then I saw a thread dedicated to Sicura divers' watches. So I posted photos of my own 1960s model, which, judging from eBay, are very collectible. What happened? You guessed......not a single response.

A year and a half later and I have struggled to make 13 posts. At this rate it will take 5 more years before I hit 50 posts. That forum is like talking to a brick wall. So, for the benefit of any newcomers to the world of snuff bottles who may be reading this post.....

THIS IS A WONDERFUL, FRIENDLY, INTERACTIVE, ENTHUSIASTIC AND RESPONSIVE FORUM WHERE YOU WILL MEET AND DISCUSS WITH OTHER LIKE-MINDED SNUFF BOTTLE COLLECTORS !!!

Thank you George for creating it...!

Tom
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:45:46 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

ileney

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 09:01:10 am »

Yes, you are right Tom. Thank you to George and to the many very experienced collectors who post here and are so willing to share their knowledge and love of this art form. IMO, many forums were birthed a number of years ago when Wall Street investment firms were flush with cash that they could not invest. There was a huge fad for tech-related businesses with the assumption that somehow everything and anything connected to the internet would make money. As a result, too many poorly-conceived or duplicative ideas received funding. Many forums could afford to offer cash or other prizes for joining or in contests. I think many forums now have little or no activity though they still technically exist. Some have moved to Facebook and generate more responses there. I suspect, as you say, that they will be back if they check and realize this is an active forum and not a defunct skeleton, like so many others.
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 09:34:59 am »

well said Tom and Ilene!!

Our Snuff forum is the best place to share snuff bottle collecting experience! Thanks you all of your veteran collectors here share your precious experience with us which made the Forum so special.

Yes, we have to Thanks George for creating it for us !!

I actually thought about about why internet forums are somehow going down. Besides what you have mentioned, I think another reason could be the other social medias like facebook, Instagram have been changing the life style of people, people are more rely on the cellphone instead of the computer.

Happy holiday!

Steven   
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 10:07:48 am »

Like Tom, I had no experience of any internet Forum before Charll introduced me to this one. And I thank George in my heart every day, since the Forum has re-ignited my passion for snuff bottles.

I've met wonderful new friends whom I might never have met, otherwise. I won't list all of you, but you know who you are.

I wish those who celebrate the Birth of Jesus, Merry Christmas!
I wish those who are MOTs, Happy Hanuka!
I wish all, that G-D May Bless you and yours with safety, health, prosperity, happiness and love; and of course, success in finding more treasures for your collections!   Grin

Best,
Joey

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:21:20 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 02:13:35 pm »

Dear all,
agree with everything and let me express my best wishes to everyone, of all Faith and from whatever part of the World.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Kaja

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 03:33:30 pm »

I'm not lost. I am still here, reading and learning.  There is so much wonderful information. Several times I wanted to ask a question, and I read some of the older posts and found that my question had been asked and answered.  I love this forum.  Happy Holidays, everyone.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 04:23:33 pm »

Dear Kaja,

We'd love to hear from you! Even just a comment on a bottle someone else has posted, or a question on it.
Great to hear that you are still with us.

Merry Christmas / Happy Hanuka
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 06:06:51 am »

I'm not lost. I am still here, reading and learning. 

Dear Kaja,

Good to hear from you!

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 08:47:32 am »

Hi Kaja,

If you are already collecting snuff bottles, maybe you will like to share your collecting journey and experience so far ?

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Kaja

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 03:40:53 pm »

Thank you. That would be a good way to start.  I bought a pair of snuff bottles on Ebay a few years back.  I have no idea why, beyond I thought they were pretty.  They are supposed to be cherry amber, one with a dragon design, the other with a bat.  They were inexpensive. I paid one hundred dollars for both.  They were charming, and I knew that someday I would start collecting. 

Then one of my art students traded lessons for a bottle that her mother had purchased in the '60's from an antique shop in England. It is lovely, and that pushed me over the edge.  I started collecting last year and have been enjoying it very much. 

This forum is so packed with knowledgeable people, and I feel like a student. Thank you all for sharing.

Kaja
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 04:34:59 pm »

Dear Kaja,

That is quite an interesting start to collecting snuff bottles.
Could you post them? We'd love to see what they look like.
What material is the third one?
Best,
Merry Christmas,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2017, 08:15:36 am »

Ha ha, Kaja,

You could be the only one in our midst to be hooked on
snuff bottle via the ‘ barter trade ‘ route  Cheesy Cheesy
Do they call this the ‘sharing economy’ ?

As suggested by Joey, please post pictures of your
collection when convenient.

Regards
Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Kaja

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 08:06:44 am »

I like the barter system.  I have actually done commissions that way. My best trade was for massage therapy. Heaven!

Here is my trade for art lessons bottle. Was bought in the 1960's in a shop in England. No cap or spoon. Hope the photos are not too bad and I also hope I have done this correctly. 

Happy New Year to everyone.

Kaja

* IMG_1932.JPG (577.23 KB, 1963x1956 - viewed 57 times.)

* IMG_1931.JPG (894.62 KB, 1969x2688 - viewed 65 times.)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:09:25 am by Kaja » Report Spam   Logged
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2017, 03:41:25 am »

Kaja,

That is an interesting cylindrical bottle with floral design going around the circumference.

The two Chinese characters at the base are ' Qian Long ' reading from right to left.

By the way, what is the height of the bottle ? Did it come with a stopper/spoon ?

In the meantime, may I wish you and your loved ones a wonderful and fruitful 2018 !

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Kaja

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2017, 11:01:25 am »

I realized that I should have posted a picture of the front of the bottle. There are peaches on the front. No cap, and it is about 2 3/4 inches tall. There is a bit of a residue visible around the mouth. I have no idea of the value, but I traded about $250.00 worth of lessons for it.  The money is not important, however. She is a dear and I would gladly teach her for free, but she is proud and is always bringing me something.

Hopefully the New Year will be a good one for us all.

Kaja

* IMG_1930.JPG (563.21 KB, 1399x2591 - viewed 52 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2017, 12:20:46 pm »

Dear Kaja,
it is good that you said that this bottle was not meant as a reward for 250 $ worth lessons.
The bottle is surely modern and its monetary value is very low. Not only because it is modern, but also because the decoration, despite including peaches, is far from the typical Chinese taste in my opinion.
Wishing you and everybody here a happy New Year.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Kaja

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 01:42:55 pm »

Thank you kindly. It is satisfying to know something about the bottle.  I am glad it is not worth very much, otherwise I would feel obligated to give it back. It was part of the inspiration for me to collect, and I am enjoying my new passion. 

Thank you all form making me feel welcome.

kaja
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: