About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 09:17:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Brown Glass SB

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brown Glass SB  (Read 505 times)
Luke
Private Boards

« on: August 22, 2017, 06:18:22 am »

Dear members,

I picked this one up in an Amsterdam antiques arcade from a Chinese seller who had just a few SBs. The bottle is 6.5cm high - Mouth & lip dimensions are 0.60/1.20 cm. Is this a colour of glass others are familiar with when thinking about old bottles? I was thinking if authentic this bottle could be late 18th to early 19th... or maybe it was made last week Smiley There isn't really any signs of a patina to comment upon even under a loupe - there could be some pitting/scatching, but it's hard to tell as the light tends to hit the polished surface and obliterates detail. Any advice much appreciated as always...

Cheers
Luke

* SB_1.jpg (155.39 KB, 800x1185 - viewed 41 times.)

* SB_2.jpg (105.58 KB, 800x761 - viewed 35 times.)

* SB_3.jpg (116.26 KB, 800x944 - viewed 30 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 06:26:43 am »

Luke,

Is this referred to as "cafe au lait" glass?

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 06:36:35 am »

Hi Rube,

I've heard that term also, but cannot find any other examples when I google it. I think 'cafe au lait' can also be used to describe some porcelain bottles. I've also heard the term caramel glass - this particular colour doesn't seem to be as common as yellow or that sky blue opaque glass I've seen. There is one incredibly similar bottle apart from some carving on both sides on the e-Yaji site but you need a login to see it...

Luke
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:00:54 am »

Hi Luke,

Caramel as a colour crops up now and again and I've seen it most on overlay bottles. Yours looks an unusual colour and shape ! I found a slightly similar shape and in a different swirly deep greenish caramel colour that is ex Marian Meyer Collection, also 6.5 cm but with an indented flat foot.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 02:34:30 am »

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the reference. I found the bottle you mention in that collection. I agree the brown colour of my bottle doesn't seem to match up with that example or the deeper orange brown or translucent variations that I've also found. When I shine a light inside it does give off a nice deep orange glow. There is very little to go on with this bottle as it is so plain. Although, I think the shape including the foot/mouth seems right to me. Anyway, it looks nice with the other bottles in my collection. I will leave it there for now and try and find a perhaps a green cabochon to make a stopper!

Best,
Luke
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 08:27:47 am »

There is very little to go on with this bottle as it is so plain. Although, I think the shape including the foot/mouth seems right to me. Anyway, it looks nice with the other bottles in my collection. I will leave it there for now and try and find a perhaps a green cabochon to make a stopper!

Best,
Luke

I agree Luke...

I can not add anything to your bottle, but want to say congratulations on a nice one !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 01:11:57 pm »

Dear Luke,

I like the shape and colour of the bottle, but can't tell if it is 'right'.
I think it is, but could not swear to it.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 05:25:37 am »

Thanks George! I like these simple ones...

Dear Joey,

Yeah, really hard to say. Especially from the pictures I've posted here. I also feel it may be or may not be authentic... not many clues to go with on this one...

Best,
Luke
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: