About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 10:50:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Egyptian bottle

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Egyptian bottle  (Read 1771 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 09:09:52 pm »

Dear Joey,

There is another level of logic to this:
When a country is under enforced occupation all inhabitants opposed to the occupation suddenly have something in common (my enemy's enemy is my friend).

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 01:34:57 pm »

Dear Tom,

Not if one group were oppressing another group. Then the oppressed group might see the occupying force as 'liberators' rather than 'oppressors'.

Thus, the few Jews who survived the Ukrainian and German 'operated' Holocaust in the Ukraine saw the Russian communist occupation of the Ukraine as saving them. Of course, losing over 90% of your community in 4 years can do that to you.

While the Ukrainians saw the Russians as soulless occupiers, and had welcomed the Nazi German invaders as liberators. Of course, considering that Stalin had pushed through the forced collectivisation of the Ukraine's farms in the late 1920s and 1930s, causing the deaths of over 8 million Ukrainians (over 25% of the population!) between 1926 and 1938, their attitude was also understandable.

Let's hope the 21st C. is less bloodthirsty than the 20th C., though it hasn't seemed so, so far. Roll Eyes Shocked Lips sealed
Best,
Joey

Dear Joey,

There is another level of logic to this:
When a country is under enforced occupation all inhabitants opposed to the occupation suddenly have something in common (my enemy's enemy is my friend).

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 09:32:14 pm »

Let's hope the 21st C. is less bloodthirsty than the 20th C., though it hasn't seemed so, so far. Roll Eyes Shocked Lips sealed

Dear Joey,

I share your hope !!!

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 12:18:40 am »

Dear all,

It is interesting how staring with the discussions on ' Egyptian Bottle ', it then goes to some
' lamentation ' over the observations the the present generations don't appreciate what the former generations have done and contributed ! Indeed, this is the reality we see , especially with the generations after us.
In the context of Chinese arts and crafts, and more narrowly that of snuff bottles, I have tried to influence my three sons to have some similar affinity ( I don't even think of passion ! ) for things culturally Chinese. I have some consolation that my second son has certain inclination as evidenced by his two subsequent visits to to the Taipei Gugong Museum when he visited Taiwan with his family. He also asked me for a gift a Chinese oil painting to decorate his new apartment , and earmarked my Tongzi brass snuff bottle for his keeping in future ( he was with me when I brought him walking with me along Hollywood Road in Hong Kong where I bought the metal bottle and he remember that arduous holy grail ! ).
My third daughter-in-law shows certain appreciation on things Chinese, having asked of me for a porcelain plaque for their new house. She has expressed interests on some organic snuff bottles in my collection as well !
I am going against the tide to switch my grand children's attention from iPad to snuff bottles !!
Inn Bom
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 04:38:22 am »

Inn Bok,

Indeed, it is fascinating where these threads sometimes lead.  I have no idea if my daughters will have any interest in snuff bottles or any other antiques which I possess.  But, can only hope that if I possibly show them a connection with an object of art and their ancestry, that it might spark their interest, get them curious about genealogy and history in general,  that they might find it "valuable" or intriguing enough to want to preserve it much in the same way that I have, and pass it on to future generations.

I agree with you that a personal connection with an object is a great way to achieve this, much like you are planning to do with the brass snuff bottle, as a result of a strong memory. Though not snuff bottle related, I'll share a story: 
As you may know, I build custom furniture.  In our old house, there was a chair in the hallway, an antique reproduction of a Chippendale chair, which I built when I was a student at North Bennet Street School in Boston.  When one of our girls were misbehaving, we would send them to this chair for a time out, and it became known as "the naughty chair".  When my youngest daughter was about 5 years old, I helped out our local symphony orchestra fundraiser, by offering my services to teach someone how build a Chippendale chair, similar to the one I had built.  A wife bid on this as a gift for her husband, Alan.  The lessons went on forever!
But, in the end, Alan finished his chair and I made a good friend.  The couple invited us out to their house, where the girls fished in their pond.  After dinner, Alan's wife was very excited to showcase Alan's finished chair to our family. My youngest daughter looked at the chair wide eyed, and said, "Dad, why does Mr. Alan have a 'naughty chair'? Was he being naughty?!?
Needless to say, she will inherit my chair one day.

I wish you luck diverting their attention from iPad to snuff bottles, if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Cheers,
Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 08:06:50 pm »

Hi Inn Bok,

It is strange what happens to children when exposed to any type of art or collectabiles on a regular basis. Either they are bitten by a similar "collector bug", or seem to have no interest at all. In my particular case, my son doesn't seem to have the same inclination to collect as his father did or I do.

Now my grandchildren are a totally different story. My college age grandson is always looking around my house and asks a million questions about my various collectabiles. He is eager to learn and is interested in the origin of what ever he is looking at, snuff bottles included. One of my granddaughters loved my collection of dinner plates from the time that she was young. To this day she inspects the table settings that are new and different every Christmas. She teases me that I soon will have to have a "dish room" to house my china.

In this day of technology, I hope that I can bring a small spark of interest for something other than video games or iPads to my grandchildren. It's the history of these precious items that bind heart and soul together and keep the link alive to past generations, what ever the origin. Thank you for starting this interesting thread.

Regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2017, 03:48:36 am »

Dear Toni-Lee, you are lucky. It is a great satisfaction when one see his grandsons interested in the same things.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2017, 04:51:42 am »

Yes, Toni-Lee, I agree with Giovanni. But we already both knew you are blessed. And I was just sharing your book of photographs of coastal MA with friends in Ireland, before I returned to Israel 12 days ago.
We all really enjoyed it.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 06:10:34 am »

Dear all,

Nice to read about your sharings in this thread!

I've managed to instil my love for cars into my four year old (that didn't cost me much effort as boys tend to be interested in cars). As for snuff bottles, I'm taking one step at a time, so far, I've managed to teach him the word "snuff bottle". I'd say that's quite encouraging for me considering that I myself only started at the age of 26... Wink Family life is certainly richer and more fun when we have common hobbies or interests with our family members.

So let's keep working hard to influence our love ones! Grin

Best to all,
Samson

Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
NE collector

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 08:26:47 am »

Hi Giovanni,

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, my blessings are many, I feel like I am the luckiest person in the whole world.

Regards,

Toni-lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

NE collector

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2017, 08:34:54 am »

Hi Joey,

You are too kind. I hope your friends enjoyed looking at the photographs. How nice of you to share them and let me know.

Best regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 12:28:20 am »

Those of you who have children (and especially grandchildren!) that show an interest in your collectibles are indeed blessed.  The closest I have come is in getting my daughter interested in photographing my collection.

But I suspect the incentive was financial..........she got paid for her work!   Wink

My family's eyes just glaze over when I start talking about the things I like collecting.    Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 04:49:38 am »

My family's eyes just glaze over when I start talking about the things I like collecting.    Sad

Mine too..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 05:14:02 am »

For my case, my passion on antiques and snuff bottles sparked soon after my sudden interest in Qing Dynasty history did. I agree that it's indeed a blessing when family members share the same interest and passion on things. Imagine being able to talk and discuss about snuff bottles with your kids, grandkids, spouse, parents or siblings day and night... Roll Eyes It would help to develop the family bonding too. Smiley

Best to all,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Private Boards

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 09:46:58 am »

Those of you who have children (and especially grandchildren!) that show an interest in your collectibles are indeed blessed.  The closest I have come is in getting my daughter interested in photographing my collection.

But I suspect the incentive was financial..........she got paid for her work!   Wink

But Tom,  she is also really good at photographing the snuff bottles! I find that a sign of interest, or at least, devotion to a good work ethic.  Roll Eyes Grin
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 10:05:54 am »

Thanks Joey,

That's true. There is hope then....!

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged