About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 12:42:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Our latest acquisition: baktrian camels

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Our latest acquisition: baktrian camels  (Read 627 times)
rosegl

« on: September 17, 2017, 12:40:25 pm »

Hi,
I wonder if someone knows more about the earlier provenance of our latest acquisition (Baron < Kleiner < Mary Kaufman)? I just fell in love with those camels...

Georges

* Barron Kamele.jpg (141.45 KB, 420x363 - viewed 39 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 12:46:23 pm »

Dear Georges,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful bottle.

I love the bottle too , and I can see how you fell in love with the camels.Smiley I wish Joey can help you on the earlier provenance of the bottle .

Cheers!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 01:16:27 pm »

Dear Georges,

I'm sorry, I don't know where Mary and Gerald Kaufman bought that overlay glass bottle of camels. At first it made me think of the Yangzhou Seal School, but looking a second time, I realise it is not Seal School.

Gerald and Mary Kaufman were both doctors in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY; Mary was born in Brooklyn in Dec.1927, while Gerald was born in the UK, and moved to the USA after WWII, where he met Mary, and they married soon after. Mary died in Feb.2013; Gerald had died in 2011, I think.

They were active members of the ICSBS as well as the NY Snuff Bottle Group.

Best,
      Joey
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:42:40 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 02:55:55 pm »

Very nice addition!  I love camels too and would love to have a camel bottle.  It could be that some of the dealers who have been around for a while might know.  Its worth asking!   
Report Spam   Logged

rosegl

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 04:12:29 pm »

Thanks to Steven and joearp for your comments and Joey for helping to identify Mary Kaufman. Could Gerald have died in 1996?

Best

Georges
Report Spam   Logged
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 06:23:58 pm »

Thanks to Steven and joearp for your comments and Joey for helping to identify Mary Kaufman. Could Gerald have died in 1996?

Best

Georges

Dear Georges,

Congratulations! That's a beautiful bottle and an interesting subject! I too acquired a glass overlay bottle with the same provenance earlier this year, a horse bottle... Wink

I learned from Joey that Mary died in 2013 and Gerald a few years earlier. Anyway they are a remarkable provenance for snuff bottles!

Best,
Samson

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 06:30:16 pm by samsonlzj » Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 07:04:14 pm »

Dear Georges,

I thought that Gerald had died in 2011, but was wrong.
I just talked to a NYC friend who remembered that Gerald died between 1996 and 1998. I have the 1995 membership directory, in which he features, and the 1998 one, where he's absent.
I asked about the 'camel' bottle, but had no luck.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 01:48:07 am »

Hi Georges,

I love those camels too...!
Wonderful bottle. Congratulations!

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

rosegl

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 02:09:24 am »

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm really fond of it.

Georges
Report Spam   Logged
Jungle Jas

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 03:10:45 am »

I to like the unusual subject matter on the bottle, being a normal beast of burden in the north of China and beyond I'm surprised we don't see them more often. Thanks for sharing.

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 03:32:11 pm »

Dear Jason,

I have a few Middle Period IPSBs with camels (Yan Yutian, Zhang Baotian, and other 2nd tier artists, as I remember), and think I've a B&W with camels, as well. I'd not seen one in overlay glass, and, as I think on it, I realise you are quite correct.

Considering the number of camels in use in North China, by Chinese, Mongols and Manchus during the 'snuff bottle period', it IS quite a rare subject to find on snuff bottles.

Thank you. I'd not thought about it before.
Best,
Joey
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: