About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:21:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Techniques for blown glass snuff bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Techniques for blown glass snuff bottles  (Read 624 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« on: August 17, 2017, 02:56:34 am »

Dear all,
we are sometimes wondering about how are achieved some features that we see on glass bottles.
I did some search about blown glass making in general, not specifically addressed to snuff bottle making, and found something that I believe is of interest. Remember that the absolute majority of glass snuff bottles are made of blown glass. Bottles carved from solid glass are a minority and easy identifiable.
Here, we see how overlay is made:

Here, we see how the foot, neck, mouth are added and/or shaped. Quite interesting, but I suggest you to switch off the audio so you can skip that stupid sound:

And here, we can see how mixed colors into the glass are obtained. Most interesting, at about 2 minutes we see why on blown snuff bottles we always see swirls at the base of the bottles:

Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 05:29:36 am »

Giovanni,

These are fascinating!  Thanks so much for sharing these techniques.

Cheers,
Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:01:22 am »

It's probably because of my crappy internet, but can't get them to open..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 02:40:47 pm »

Dear George,
I did post the links only. For some reason, instead of the link's code what I see here on the Forum is directly the Youtube movie. I don't understand why.
Anyway, at least to me it works.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 06:48:28 am »

Dear Giovanni,

Thank you for sharing this.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Jungle Jas

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 12:55:07 pm »

Hi Giovanni,

I loved the last link you posted, I have never seen colour put on glass by that method before, thanks. It reminded me when about 15 years ago I had designs about becoming a glass blower, but I soon realised most glass blowing is a two handed job, so I decided to make glass jewellery  instead.  However it got me thinking when did the Chinese discover glass blowing and when did they start to make snuff bottles by blowing. Can anyone inform me.

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 05:25:11 am »

Really interesting! Thanks for sharing.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 06:44:35 am »

Dear Jason,
I don't know when the Chinese discover the glass, but for sure the great advance in glass technology happened during Kangxi reign, thanks to the presence of Jesuits at his Court.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 01:19:26 pm »

Dear Jason,

Glass-blowing was discovered in Judea & Galilee, now again called Israel, during the Roman period, ca. 50-30 BCE.

Blown glass was exported to China by the first C. CE from what's now Israel,
then the Roman provinces of Judea and Galilee (Terry Lee of Wing Hing in Hong Kong, has a vessel from ca. 30-40 CE, found in south China, which was traced to a Galilean glass factory due to the glass analysis.).

I find it hard to believe that it took the Chinese much more than a year to 'figure it out'.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Jungle Jas

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 03:06:27 pm »

Dear Giovanni and Joey,  thanks for the extra information regarding Chinese glass blowing. You a truly a very erudite couple of guys! Now all I have to do is go through my collection and see how many blown bottles I have.

Kind regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 11:36:29 pm »

Dear Giovanni ,

Thanks for sharing again the video clip on glass making. Very clear and fascinating to see the skilled craftsman at work.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: