About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 06:09:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Egyptian bottle

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Egyptian bottle  (Read 1866 times)
Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 04:38:22 am »

Inn Bok,

Indeed, it is fascinating where these threads sometimes lead.  I have no idea if my daughters will have any interest in snuff bottles or any other antiques which I possess.  But, can only hope that if I possibly show them a connection with an object of art and their ancestry, that it might spark their interest, get them curious about genealogy and history in general,  that they might find it "valuable" or intriguing enough to want to preserve it much in the same way that I have, and pass it on to future generations.

I agree with you that a personal connection with an object is a great way to achieve this, much like you are planning to do with the brass snuff bottle, as a result of a strong memory. Though not snuff bottle related, I'll share a story: 
As you may know, I build custom furniture.  In our old house, there was a chair in the hallway, an antique reproduction of a Chippendale chair, which I built when I was a student at North Bennet Street School in Boston.  When one of our girls were misbehaving, we would send them to this chair for a time out, and it became known as "the naughty chair".  When my youngest daughter was about 5 years old, I helped out our local symphony orchestra fundraiser, by offering my services to teach someone how build a Chippendale chair, similar to the one I had built.  A wife bid on this as a gift for her husband, Alan.  The lessons went on forever!
But, in the end, Alan finished his chair and I made a good friend.  The couple invited us out to their house, where the girls fished in their pond.  After dinner, Alan's wife was very excited to showcase Alan's finished chair to our family. My youngest daughter looked at the chair wide eyed, and said, "Dad, why does Mr. Alan have a 'naughty chair'? Was he being naughty?!?
Needless to say, she will inherit my chair one day.

I wish you luck diverting their attention from iPad to snuff bottles, if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Cheers,
Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: