About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:31:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

An agate bottle from Australia

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: An agate bottle from Australia  (Read 1685 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 06:04:55 am »

Dear Giovanni,

Indeed, a wonderful story. It is almost the mirror opposite of what happened to me with Peter Lee in Hong Kong in Nov.1981.
He offered me a superb bottle, ruby red overlay on 'camphor'/'snowflake' glass. It was of a continuous landscape with a river, truly some of the best carving I'd ever seen, and perfectly polished background surface. Mr. Lee told me that it was 18th C. Palace Workshops, and the colour and quality bore that out.

But the modern power station and power lines, carved as part of the design, were somehow at odds with the 18th C. dating. I guess I'm just  too suspicious.  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin  The price was US$1,800 and I'd have gladly paid it for a genuine 18th C. bottle of that quality in 1981. When I pointed out the 20th C. technology displayed on the bottle, Mr. Lee hurriedly put it away.

Stupidly, I did not think it through, or I'd have kept my mouth shut, and grabbed the bottle. Genuine Cultural Revolution period bottles in overlay glass are extremely rare - 3-5 are known and they were personally commissioned by Chairman Mao and made using genuine 18th C. 'blanks' found in the Palace storerooms - bottles made to be carved, but for whatever reason never carved at the time they were made.

There were also a few greyish brown Chalcedony bottles made for Mao, with delicate floral designs and inscribed with poems and sayings by Chairman Mao - my good friend Bernie Wald has one. Again, there are 3-5 of these known. It's believed that all these bottles were made to be presented as gifts to special 'foreign friends' of China.

So you were sold an old bottle as new for a low price; whereas I was offered a relatively 'new' bottle (5-8 years old when offered to me), at what I thought a high price for a 'fake' (modern bottle trying to pass as 18th C.), but in reality a rare CR subject bottle.

Best,
joey
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:01:08 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: