About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:22:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Small Jade Bottle

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Jade Bottle  (Read 1123 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 01:02:10 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

Yes, it was a great book, albeit with mistakes.
I know from Japanese art, that the Hare pounding a bamboo pestle into a mortar, is producing rice flour, not some 'drugs of immortality'. And in fact the East Asians see 'The hare in the moon', not 'The man in the moon' that Westerners are used to telling children about.
  We both know that the East Asians (Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, at least) believed that immortality came from the special divine peaches of the Queen Mother of the West, which the Monkey King set off to bring back on his journey.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 03:21:46 pm »

Dear Joey,
may be I have already commented this here. On Chinese porcelain, the "Buffalo gazing at the Moon" was a motif mainly found during Ming. Less common, still during the same period there was also a motif called "Hare gazing at the Moon".
I have a nice Wanli period dish with this motif.
I did some research but have never found the real meaning of this motif.
Strange enough, I hve found somewhere that in arcaic England there was too the belief that the hare lives on the Moon.
Kind regards
Giovanni

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:03:44 pm by Fiveroosters » Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 03:41:30 pm »

Pin and Joey,
Thank you both for your interpretations regarding the orb in the clouds.
Giovanni, thank you for the referenced passage and verification. When I have bottle in hand again, I'll check and see if the bird has 3 legs.
Have a nice weekend,
Rube
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 11:40:50 pm »

Less common, still during the same period there was also a motif called "Hare gazing at the Moon".
I have a nice Wanli period dish with this motif.

Dear Giovanni,

I have a snuff bottle with this motif, except there are two hares, not one.

Regards,
Tom
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:30:44 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: