About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 04:32:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A recent find in an Australian antiques shop

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A recent find in an Australian antiques shop  (Read 937 times)
Rube
Private Boards

« on: July 20, 2017, 07:54:24 am »

Frank,

The last close up picture helps.  Look at the blue wear vs. red, and white.  Every layer is rougher than one would expect for "natural wear".   One could expect some wear on the highest blue layers, but the lower layers shouldn't be.  I think the faces you mention were actually worn away by some form of abrasion, the lines seem fairly uniform going side to side. Some clues to help date your bottles are the size, the shape and the colors used.  I'm trying to buy more books about snuff bottles so I can learn about them, and look at as many examples I can.  Pin is correct, the more examples you look at from collections of provenance, you can start to get a sense of correct sizes, shapes and colors of bottles fitting into certain time frames of their actual manufacture. 

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: